The new POV

Daedalus V2.0

So, as you all no doubt are aware, the new POV for ADWD is one of those currently in the model line. After perusing the line for a minute, the only characters there who did not already have a POV are Loras, the Hound and Melisendre. So, which do you think it will be and which do you think it most likely is?

I think it'll probably be Mel, since the other two characters are both down in the south and Loras features prominently in AFfC.

Oh oops, before I answer, should this be spoilered?

Well, considering the fact that the information is right in GRRM's blog, somehow I think it isn't spoiler territory. Now, if you have info from a spoiler chapter, that's something different.

Well, I'm hoping it's Sandor because I really don't want him to be dead, but I think you guys are probably right about it's being Mel, since the other two appeared (sort of) in AFfC. Though, why do we need Mel's POV when she's in the same place as Jon? Does this mean one or the other of them will be leaving the Wall?

What's this "model line"? Sorry, I'm clueless.

Assuming Sandor, Mel and Loras are the only possibilities...

I think a Sandor POV would be tremendously challenging to write. Conveying the thoughts of such a tortured person without getting soap-operatic requires the kind of psychological acumen I would associate with a writer's writer like Dostoevsky or Thomas Hardy. If GRRM can pull it off, my respect for him will go up to a whole new level.

The choice of Mel would make some sense because we need a new window on Stannis now that Davos is no longer with him and Jon isn't close enough to him to sit in on his councils, etc. And I'm dying to know what's going on in her head. But GRRM has built up such an aura of mystery around her that he would risk making her prosaic by revealing her thoughts.

As for Loras...well, we definitely need a Tyrell POV at some point, but why Loras? If anything, he's the least interesting Tyrell. He'd just be a young, insipid, gay version of Jaime. I was actually hoping for a Margaery POV.

Are we sure those three are the only possibilities? I think I'm missing something...

I'm really not interested in seeing Melisandre's POV. I wouldn't want to get inside her head, I'd rather see her retain her mystery.

I think a Loras POV would be truly interesting, especially if it were to prove the existence of the Tyrell conspiracy people have been talking about. It would be especially interesting to see his POV after he got wounded.

As for the Hound, I don't know. I have to agree with Olenna's words.

I think a Sandor POV would be tremendously challenging to write. Conveying the thoughts of such a tortured person without getting soap-operatic requires the kind of psychological acumen I would associate with a writer's writer like Dostoevsky or Thomas Hardy. If GRRM can pull it off, my respect for him will go up to a whole new level.

He could just be making a POV out of some random Night's Watch schmuck and having a laugh at us.

I have to say, that would probably be the funniest thing inthe world. I could totally see him putting in just one chapter from a random Night's Watch POV. I would probably die laughing if that were tha case.

I have to say, that would probably be the funniest thing inthe world. I could totally see him putting in just one chapter from a random Night's Watch POV. I would probably die laughing if that were tha case.
I would kill for a dolorous Edd POV

Hey. I just finished reading AFfC and the teaser chapters. It strikes me that the new Jon chapter really is at the beginning of AFfC. People seem to like the idea of a Sandor chapter, but I don`t really know why he`d be in ADwD considering it`ll run the same time line as AFfC. What would Sandor add even if he came as a random chapter at the end?

Same would be true of Loras, though I like the idea of a late Loras chapter to give a bit of closure (well, probably not closure per se, but some advancement) to the current KL plot.

I guess that leaves Mel. It might make sense to have her, particularly if Stannis and Jon part ways. What do ppl make of what Mel tells Jon?

Same would be true of Loras, though I like the idea of a late Loras chapter to give a bit of closure (well, probably not closure per se, but some advancement) to the current KL plot.

Maybe we get 4-5 chapters from a Loras POV, after he leaves King's Landing to take Dragonstone.

Most likely we get one "Captain of the guards" or "Soiled Knight" type PoV from a random Night's Watch member. It's pretty late in the writing process to make a major actor speak for multiple chapters when he wasn't planned originally, it would would only mean major revamp of storyline -again-, and last time it happened it ended in 5 years wait. I don't think Martin would try to pull it off now.

Most likely we get one "Captain of the guards" or "Soiled Knight" type PoV from a random Night's Watch member. It's pretty late in the writing process to make a major actor speak for multiple chapters when he wasn't planned originally, it would would only mean major revamp of storyline -again-, and last time it happened it ended in 5 years wait. I don't think Martin would try to pull it off now.

First of all, George said "chapters" plural. Secondly, I get the impression--and this is based on nothing, I suppose--that this is more a new way of pulling a storyline he already had in mind, not an entirely new storyline that he decided to add at the last minute.

:agree:. this leaves us with only a random NW member or Mel cos as far as i recall jon,Mel,hound,NW brothers were the first set of miniatures released.i strongly suspect its Mel..

Mel knows too much. She may be wrong in how she APPLIES what she knows, but she knows too much from a plot point of view. I've read a lot of the arguements, but she'll just work better as a character who's motivations and knowledge are mysterious.

Sandor is digging graves and burying his past. :sleep: He'll be back, but not in the parrallel volume to aFFC. Even if aDwD goes beyond the end of aFFC by a little bit, he's holed up on the Quiet Isle for some time.

Loras dissapears in the latter half of aFFC, is supposedly burnt to an almost-crisp, and in a time without burn wards if this were true he'd probably be dead by now. It makes sense for him to be a POV character at the end of the novel. Unless... he really IS burnt and he's the epiloge POV....

So much about George's "No new POV's!". He really shouldend predicting ANYTHING. Ah well... at least I won the bet.

Mel: I doubt that Mel shall be the new POV. se is mysterious and has the Antagonistic feel at herself. Also, she is too magical.

Sandor: Crossing fingers for him, but I doubt that je will be a new POV.

Loras: Probably the ne POV. Yes, he is in the South, but his story shall probably happen during the siege of Dragonstone so that ain't really the South (phylosophing, yes... but I guess Martin would come with something even more comical. He decided to break the rule and thats it.)

Tough he woudn't get more then 3 chapters, his story would be interesting. We could find out more about Highgarden and their goals, House Tyrell and their plans and relationships and probably something mysterious about Dragonstone.

BTW, since George added new chapters to old POV's and added new POV's, won't we get a book as fat as ASOS rather then a book of ACOK fatness? It woudn't be the forst time for George's predictment to fail... they fail on regular basis :P

Archived