The new POV

Daedalus V2.0

I still think this PoV is going to be a random nights watch guard.

I joked earlier (on another of the 3-headed PoV threads) that one of the figures looks very dour so that it must be Dolorous Edd, but what I really think is that we are going to get a random NW viewpoint of the Wall falling and the Others making their way into the Seven Kingdoms.

Jon PoV is out if he is going to live to fight the fight as the Others go south.

And who says that the wall is going to fall where Jon is anyway? My money is on the Night Kings' Castle....

I suspect the new Point of View will be Loras Tyrell. I come to this conclusion not because Sandor Clegane or Melisandre are unlikely. Both remain strong possibilities, for some of the reasons discussed in this thread. There is one reason why Loras is a strong runner which has been overlooked by the majority of the posters. George R R Martin seems determined to show us all the principal seats of Westeros as well all of the Nine Free Cities of his invention. We've already seen in some detail Winterfell, King's Landing (and the Red Keep), The Eyrie, Storm's End, the seat of House Greyjoy on Pyke and Riverrrun (and for that matter, Harrenhall) and Sunspear. We have left Casterly Rock (and we have some strong hints that Jaime is heading that way at the end of A Feast for Crows) and Highgarden. Who better to show us Highgarden than Ser Loras Tyrell? If not him, who else? Most other POV's are far away and unlikely to head that way.

There is one reason why Loras is a strong runner which has been overlooked by the majority of the posters. George R R Martin seems determined to show us all the principal seats of Westeros as well all of the Nine Free Cities of his invention.

We have left Casterly Rock (and we have some strong hints that Jaime is heading that way at the end of A Feast for Crows) and Highgarden. Who better to show us Highgarden than Ser Loras Tyrell? If not him, who else? Most other POV's are far away and unlikely to head that way.

In support of your theory, GRRM said at a signing I attended that we would meet Willas Tyrell on stage. I used to think it was Sam that would see him but if it is Loras as the POV then he is the leading candidate.

Hehe boring? Loras lost everything. Renly, his beauty, possibly Margaery and maybe his mind too. What we know about the siege showed, that he was in some kind of blind rage. He is burned from inside and outside. He is the fallen knight who has the strenght and power to change things... I think he could be an interesting character.

But maybe he just dies from his wound. Losing Loras and Margaery would make the Tyrells pretty angry and careless...

Well so far Loras is a one trick pony. We know he can fight. He is a bit cocky. He likes his sister. There isn't much more to him so far. Not a whole lot of character to him.

Now let him do a lot of interaction with Jamie and then maybe we can go some where. As it is, he is a really bland character. Hell, even Illyn Payne got to be a little amusing hanging out with Jamie.

The most amusing fallen knight/warrior story would have to be Sandor. We know a lot more about his character and motivations.

In short, Loras needs a lot more fleshing out.

I think the most likely option is Mel but I really hope it won't be her. Mainly because I don't want a repeat of what happened with Cersei (great villain character becomes sad, pathetic lunatic). I want to know more about her, but I would prefer her to remain a mysterious non-POV. (If more POV's are needed at the Wall I would much prefer random NW-guy.)

Sandor is another character I'm afraid would lose to much of what makes him interesting by becoming a POV, so I hope it's not him either. I do want to see more of him though.

That leaves Loras (aparantly) which is a choice I could easily live with. He's not an all that interesting character in himself but his POV could add an interesting perspective into the Tyrell camp. How realistic this option really is depends a lot on how far beyond AFFC in time ADWD will reach and/or what happens at Dragonstone and if/where he goes from there.

Mel apparently could know too much.

At least, if it's her, I doubt we'll get the "Evil Melisandre really serves the Great Other" or "Mel dies in ADWD".

Then, GRRM also said that ADWD would resolve some AFFC cliffhangers, like having Brienne being hung. And I've always had the feeling that only some external event coming right then could save her, and the likeliest culprit would be Sandor deciding to follow these inquiring people that talked about him in the Isle - then stumbling upon Un-Cat and the whole hanging.

I wouldn't have any problem with either of the three characters, as long as they are well written and as long, like some pointed out before, Melisandre is not Cersei 2. Since Catelyn is dead, well undead, we are clearly lacking in intelligent women as POV. Melisandre could fill that gap.

However, I think Sandor might be an interesting character, if the rise of the Faith gets more spotlight in ADWD. He might have a closer perspective on this.

I would be fine with Loras as well, but if his character development depends on getting burned, it sounds like recycling of other story lines. I'm not sure I would like to read another character angsting about his bad looks, like Tyrion and Brienne.

Then, GRRM also said that ADWD would resolve some AFFC cliffhangers, like having Brienne being hung.

May. He may resolve some aFfC cliffhangers at the end of aDwD if he has time. While it would be nice, I don't think he will have time. (And if he did, he would presumably use aFfC POVs, rather than creating more).

Of the three candidates I would definitly prefer Melisandre, because I think she's a diamond of a character, very interesting. And I would love to get a look in her mind, to see what her objectives really are, or if they are infact as they seem. She's intelligent, powerful and has a great POV position at the Wall. It need only be a few chapters. Her chapters could also be interspersed throughout the book.

Loras would be the second option, but than that means we get these POV chapters at the end of the book. OTOH we know George is in the later stages of writing so it is possible that he is writing some Loras chapters at the end. He would be interesting as well.

The Hound, I don't see it happening. It seems much more likely that he is scheduled to come back into the scheme of things at a later point in time.

A wilted pansy?

Loras is gay, to be sure, but he happens to be fairly deadly as well. I'm not sure how he has wilted. He wouldn't be my first choice (I was hoping for Balon Swann, Westeros' ultimate underdeveloped character), but of the three I'm pretty sure it will be Loras as the new PoV, so we can find out what the vast and powerful Tyrell political machine is really up to. Why did I go to the trouble of saying that when so many others have already? No bloody idea. So there.

Am I the only person interested in finding out if Loras was really blinded by rage or if he was "encouraged" by some Lannister henchmen? Or what's going on in Dragonstone now that Stannis is gone? Not to mention a Loras chapter would likely reveal if he really is a flower knight, which would shed some light on the Margaery-Renly situation.

Am I the only person interested in finding out if Loras was really blinded by rage or if he was "encouraged" by some Lannister henchmen? Or what's going on in Dragonstone now that Stannis is gone? Not to mention a Loras chapter would likely reveal if he really is a flower knight, which would shed some light on the Margaery-Renly situation.

No you’re not the only person!

I’d like to see what’s up in Dragonstone and if they’ve heard the rumours about Dany and her dragons…. surely the Dragonstone folks are pro-Targaryen.

I think the POV is Loras.

I don't think Loras was blinded by rage -- I think it was a calculated decision. Dragonstone was only important to him as a prerequisite obstacle to the fleet's heading for the Redwyne Straits. Loras could have let Mathis Rowan take it slowly and bloodlessly if the objective had been Dragonstone itself, but with the aim of freeing up the fleet ASAP, any lives lost in gaining a speedy turnaround were well spent.

Archived