Sarah Conner Chronicles

SwordoftheMorning

hought that was a great episode - liked the way they switched the reality and the dreamworld at the end. This was probably the best I've seen the 'trapped in a dream' storyline handled in the TV medium. Seems to me that the Sarah episodes are really trying to hit home that a large part of the story of this show is the titular character's descent into madness. It definitely adds another dimension to the show, one that I haven't really seen in any other sci-fi show (caveat: I haven't seen any BSG, I hear there are hallucinations and stuff).

I think it's going to add the extra dimension of cancellation to the show. The ratings on the last few episodes have been catastrophically bad: I suppose part of that might be the switch to Fridays, but another (big) part is the fact that all 3 of the last episodes have been so heavily focused on Sarah's psychology. Like it or not, title aside, Sarah is not the draw of this show: Cameron is, and beyond her, some fucking robots who actually do something, or even Derek, who also usually does something. Just something, anything, except for more terrible monologues and moping from Sarah. The time for a long series of intense character studies is not when your show is on the brink of cancellation: really, would it kill Friedman to throw his audience a bone? The numbers sink further every week, and while this episode wasn't as totally boring as Desert Cantos, I still feel that they need some action, NOW, or the show will be canceled with or without the WB's intervention. It's not like you can't balance these things out a little: remember the psychologist episode from a while ago? There was some time spent analyzing Sarah and John's feelings, but also enough time for Summer to have a really awesome fight with that Terminator who showed up to kill the doc.

Actually there is some good news from the ratings, or actually DVR numbers (which FOX does look at, though):

There is some new TSCC info: the DVR numbers are in, apparently TSCC (for it's friday premiere) went from 3.2M to 4.7M viewers, a 47% increase over the live viewers. Apparently those are considered good numbers, a relatively high percentage of the US TSCC audience (for Dollhouse, likewise) watches on DVR, 32% in the case of "The good wound".

Lots of spoilers, as well. Links:

http://terminatorwiki.fox.com/thread/2484194/WonderCon

http://io9.com/5162419/after-a-slow-patch-...k-full-throttle

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/sarah-connor-...-up-sort-of.php

Next 6 episodes will be quite the rollercoaster, so it seems.

Turns out, the show was really close to being cancelled before it got the back nine. They had actually closed down the writer's office and needed to restart in a real hurry. "Desert Cantos" was written from scratch in a week.

Friedman again promised that lost of questions over the past 2 years will be answered by the season finale, which will end on "a bit of a cliffhanger" and open new storylines as well, though. The finale raises new questions. He's clearly still hoping for S3.

So do I.

Wow. Not only did I think last week's "Is it a dream or is it not?" episode was annoyingly boring and tediously bad {badly tedious? How can I decide that one?} but I enjoyed last week's "Desert Cantos". I liked the idea that the main cast of castoffs crashed a mass funeral that involved one guy that Sarah happened to kill herself.

The difference? One was novel and amusing while still retaining that Doom and Gloom Terminator feel and the other mirrored a Buffy the Vampire Slayer plot that pissed me off the first time around. You save "dream?" episodes for series or season finales; If the show's midseason then the answer is "no". I would love to see someone answer it with a "yes" for an entire season/series besides the Dallas season rewrite {Fringe, I'm looking at you} just to see if they could pull it off but on an episode basis, the only one that I thought ever worked {that is, didn't make me wish bodily harm on the writers} was Futurama's "The Sting". Ok, Red Dwarf's "Back to Reality" should get a mention too.

The Terminator's attempt at this kind of story would have worked better if the episode started off with John being killed which then drove Sarah crazy rather the sudden lack of sleep that caused Sarah to seek help/institutionalization {They lost me right from the start with that little detail}. But that's the Futurama episode so forget it.

The difference? One was novel and amusing while still retaining that Doom and Gloom Terminator feel and the other mirrored a Buffy the Vampire Slayer plot that pissed me off the first time around. You save "dream?" episodes for series or season finales; If the show's midseason then the answer is "no".

I actually liked the Buffy dream episode. Especially when it left as ambiguous whether any of this slayer shit was actually going on at all. Sunnydale may as well be a fantastical dream world and the possibility that it was all the hallucinations of a disturbed girl is actually pretty interesting to contemplate, even if we know the show wasn't gonna deal with it any further beyond that episode.

On a side note, I actually read on another forum that the Fox suits adamantly opposed this succession of slow paced, introspective, Sarah focused episodes just after the break. They wanted something more explosive and action-packed, but the writers insisted they go this route and got their way. Who knew, apparently the 'suits' were on to something.

Sunnydale may as well be a fantastical dream world and the possibility that it was all the hallucinations of a disturbed girl is actually pretty interesting to contemplate, even if we know the show wasn't gonna deal with it any further beyond that episode.

Really? I don't consider saying "This fictional story you've been following...you know, it might be fictional!" particularly interesting or clever.;)

I thought the hallucination versus reality worked in this context, but if the episode had ended with one last shot of Sarah in the clinic it would have completely killed the episode.

I actually liked the Buffy dream episode. Especially when it left as ambiguous whether any of this slayer shit was actually going on at all. Sunnydale may as well be a fantastical dream world and the possibility that it was all the hallucinations of a disturbed girl is actually pretty interesting to contemplate, even if we know the show wasn't gonna deal with it any further beyond that episode.

On a side note, I actually read on another forum that the Fox suits adamantly opposed this succession of slow paced, introspective, Sarah focused episodes just after the break. They wanted something more explosive and action-packed, but the writers insisted they go this route and got their way. Who knew, apparently the 'suits' were on to something.

From what Wouter just said above, it's about to go exactly where the Fox suits wanted. I do appreciate the writers take a risk though and actually introducing characterization into the show (not saying it wasn't there, just saying that they're focusing on it at times which makes it much more enjoyable to me).

I really hope the spike in viewers after the DVR numbers were accounted for will be enough to get it S3.

Wow. Not only did I think last week's "Is it a dream or is it not?" episode was annoyingly boring and tediously bad {badly tedious? How can I decide that one?} but I enjoyed last week's "Desert Cantos". I liked the idea that the main cast of castoffs crashed a mass funeral that involved one guy that Sarah happened to kill herself.

I agree, though we're in the minority, that "Desert Cantos was a good episode. I liked it somewhat better than "The good wound" and the Sleep clinic episode, actually, and it certainly was way better than "Alpine Fields", for my taste that is.

But the writers know many online reactions were negative, and I guess it is a bit of a PR operation while they are pointing at upcoming episodes as having both more action and serious movement in the overall storyline. The survival of the show depends on it.

... and she's gone. Anyone else relieved about that?

Not me. I would have liked her around a bit longer. I was hoping she'd tell John (it looks like John has deep suspicions already, that she is from the future; what she said to her foster parents was a dead giveaway). Going to Jesse instead was brave but stupid. And it gives Jesse the chance to continue with her plans, by attempting to put the blame on Cameron.

I didn't like this development much.

SPOILER: TSCC

They seriously should have caught on to the fact that something's fucked up with Riley, and since Cameron knows Riley saw her, there should have been some violence.

In my opinion, the better move would have been this:

Cameron does something permanent and violent to Riley, after Cameron's given John the detonator thingy, now John is presented with an interesting dilemma that could easily fuel the entire next episode: Cameron has a good point viz. betrayal and the risk of spreading their secret, yet John loved Riley and whatnot. Does he blow her up or not?

Or another possible way to do it: someone should have followed her and then seen her together with Jessie. It's not like they were all off doing some caper or whatever, so they had the time to do it. They see her with Jessie, so they start watching Jessie. They see Derek with Jessie. Plot thickens, voilá, there's two or three episodes worth of material right there.

I don't think Cameron is certain Riley saw anything she shouldn't have seen. In any case, I'm very glad the writers decided not to have Cameron kill Riley; it would have been unbelievable after that to have John and Cameron reconcile after that, unless he was certain she was having a very serious glitch again (and in that case, she would become so unreliable he'd have to leave her or kill her anyway).

I think Derek will be on to Jesse pretty soon, now.

I don't think Cameron is certain Riley saw anything she shouldn't have seen. In any case, I'm very glad the writers decided not to have Cameron kill Riley; it would have been unbelievable after that to have John and Cameron reconcile after that, unless he was certain she was having a very serious glitch again (and in that case, she would become so unreliable he'd have to leave her or kill her anyway).

I think Derek will be on to Jesse pretty soon, now.

I agree. I think that posing as Riley's guidance counselor will soon come back to bite Jesse in the arse.

Summer Glau really impressed me once again this week with her acting. Give that gal an Emmy!

There are rumours that WB has offered the series to the Scifi channel, in the hope of getting a season 3. It's not looking terribly good with FOX, right now, so I hope WB finds a way to keep producing it (even if they have to sell it episode by episode on iTunes or something like that).

Some good news from TSCC: last nights excellent episode ("Today is the day, part 1") got a 3.90 rating, TSCC's best score for the friday slot (it goes 3.71 - 3.84 - 3.42 - 3.00 - 3.90 in ratings for the friday episodes). With a "to be continued", and apparently quite a few answers and confrontations coming up, I suspect viewer retention for the coming weeks could be high. The show is not finished, yet.

Some good news from TSCC: last nights excellent episode ("Today is the day, part 1") got a 3.90 rating, TSCC's best score for the friday slot (it goes 3.71 - 3.84 - 3.42 - 3.00 - 3.90 in ratings for the friday episodes). With a "to be continued", and apparently quite a few answers and confrontations coming up, I suspect viewer retention for the coming weeks could be high. The show is not finished, yet.

Good news. I'm in favor of anything that keeps this show on the air. Though I wouldn't mind a return to Brian Austen Green to the main storylines. He's been sidelined for most of the season it seems like.

I think it won't take much longer for Jesse's plan to be exposed. Probably already in the second part of "Today is the day".

EHK; apparently there is a storyline coming up where

SPOILER: TSCC
Cameron and Derek have to work together, apparently separately from Sarah and John, and after Cameron reveals a big secret that makes Derek even more suspicious about her. I suspect we will get to know what happened in the creepy basement, with the Chopin music, from back in season 1.

Archived