First still of the Enterprise from "Star Trek"

Rhom

So apparently Alan Dean Foster did the novelization of the film (nothing new there, he's the one who did the novelizations of the original series way back when). Funny story, my friend went on a National Geographic cruise for three weeks; she just got back like a week or two ago. Turns out Foster was her dive partner on the cruise. She's a big Trekkie, has everything from TOS and TNG on DVD. Foster told her the movie is amazing, he loved it. (Apparently he also told her that he hated the new BSG, of which she is also a big fan.)

I don't mean to be contrary, but the first adaptions of TOS were done by James Blish in a series of script to short story adaptations.

My brothers and I owned all twelve(yeah we were old school nerds).

They have a special place in my heart because I learned how to read by reading these books. I would ask my older brothers to read the stories to me until one day they got sick of doing it. Brother Matt flipped Star Trek 3 at me and told me I was on my own. It took my hours to read the first page. It took me much of the next day to finish the story. I finished the whole book the next day:).

I don't mean to be contrary, but the first adaptions of TOS were done by James Blish in a series of script to short story adaptations.

My mistake - Foster did the adaptations from the animated series. I always thought it had been from the show. Never actually read them, I guess I got them mixed up somehow.

The reason for time travel is so they can set it up as an alternate reality and thus not have to worry about continuity (and also so they can get Leonard Nimoy in it).

My main complaint with the film was Chekhov's ridiculous accent, especially when Simon Pegg was also going over the top as Scotty. That one I can accept, as Pegg was always going to be comic relief, but a second over-the-top silly accent was too much.

Another glaring omission: "Ah, Kirk, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?...It is very cold in space." I would say that this easily the most quoted line from all of Star Trek (though it is usually paraphrased as "vengeance is a dish best served cold") and probably one of the Top 5 quotes from all Sci-Fi.

I don't think that "vengeance is a dish best served cold" originated in Star Trek. It showed up in The Godfather.

I don't think that "vengeance is a dish best served cold" originated in Star Trek. It showed up in The Godfather.

According to Wiki, it's a Pashtun proverb that was brought to Europe by the British Empire.

Archived