First still of the Enterprise from "Star Trek"

Rhom

I still say they should have done New Frontier for their next movie/TV series. I guess a TV series for that is more likely. Mackenzie Calhoun on either screen would have rocked.

That would be good. The books are fun.

Vulcan doctor (paraphrased): Captain, I want to mate with you, you know why, yes?"

Captain Calhoun: Good taste?

Vulcan doctor: ... Pon far.

Calhoun: That would have been my second guess.

I honestly wish they'd give the entire franchise a two decades rest. Let new folks come back with fresh ideas then. They're over-doing it right now, and I don't think that's a good thing.

I actually agree that I have low expectations of this movie. Until I heard Zachary Quinto was in it, I had no plans to see it- I'm strictly TNG.

Bah. I'm all for all things Trek. Mind you, they'd be better off with me and a couple of my friends running the show, but we'll give JJ a shot... :P

, too bad the trekkies kind of ruin it.

Actually it's the "Trekkers" that ruin it. They're the Boston sports fans of the sci-fi set... :P "Trekkies" are the good guys...

Btw, is the name Trek from actually, you know, "walking" on the Stars? You know, like trekking?

Anyway, I wish they could pull of something like this:

IIRC the original Star Trek was pitched as something of a "wagon trek to the stars", hence the name.

That trailer is hilarious! :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering, what with the spoilers Wert posted:

SPOILER: Trek

Is this new alternate 'verse going to also have a mirror universe? I'm quite fond of mirror universe eps, but I'm concerned how they'll deal with mirror 'verses with this new timeline. I'm also curious if creating an alternate 'verse was the intention of Star Trek: Enterprise, which I don't think was ever actually completed... :unsure: What's with the franchise's sudden obsession with messing with time?

I was wondering, what with the spoilers Wert posted:

SPOILER: Trek

Is this new alternate 'verse going to also have a mirror universe? I'm quite fond of mirror universe eps, but I'm concerned how they'll deal with mirror 'verses with this new timeline. I'm also curious if creating an alternate 'verse was the intention of Star Trek: Enterprise, which I don't think was ever actually completed... :unsure: What's with the franchise's sudden obsession with messing with time?

I don't think their plans for Enterprise were anything as complex as that. In fact I am pretty sure all they were looking for was to vary the standard Trek formula ever so slightly in order to be able to sell it as a new series.

As to

SPOILER: very vague plot spoiler, I guess
"Sudden obsession with timetravel"?! Star Trek has more different means of travelling through time than most of their alien civilizations have cultural traits (nevermind languages...).

I don't think their plans for Enterprise were anything as complex as that. In fact I am pretty sure all they were looking for was to vary the standard Trek formula ever so slightly in order to be able to sell it as a new series.

I agree, I never felt the changes were that different. Even then they usually tried to connect things with the previous shows like with the cosmetic changes for the Klingons.

Per time travel, I noticed that the number of those episodes jumped when Braga came on board as a writer then later as a producer.

Something can't be bumped simply for being awesome in and of itself, Wert? :P

In any case...watched a bunch of Enterprise yesterday during a marathon on Sci-Fi. I was wondering if JJ was going to throw any references to Archer and his crew into the movie to tie things in more...?

In any case...watched a bunch of Enterprise yesterday during a marathon on Sci-Fi. I was wondering if JJ was going to throw any references to Archer and his crew into the movie to tie things in more...?

There was a brief, Easter Egg-like cameo in Nemesis. In one scene, the crew is discussing a group of ships being assembled to intercept the Romulan Scimitar ship, and one of the ships on the screen is the U.S.S. Archer. Though it is probably likely that some mention will be made here, if anywhere. Before Kirk, I bet Archer and his Enterprise were the first real big-time legendary crew of Starfleet.

Archived