First still of the Enterprise from "Star Trek"

Rhom

That's the best news I've heard about this movie yet.

Why? Are people who are developing the latest film/game/whatever in a particular franchise in the habit of going out and saying, "This movie is going to alienate anybody who isn't intimately conversant with the franchise already"? "If you haven't read the technical manuals more than once, you're not going to understand anything that's going on"? It's boiler-plate, basic PR stuff.

• 5 months later...

I'm not a big trek fan or anything like that but I like the original series despite its crappy acting/dialog and sets. I'm quite happy they seem to be re-doing that. But then again I'm one of those that likes that Kirk is the best at everything ever. Makes it more fun.

After the abomination that was Nemesis and the wasted potential of the Enterprise series I am psyched that Abrams is rebooting the series. I like the actors and visuals I've seen thus far and have high hopes. Only question I have that needs to be explained well: why is Starfleet letting a crew twenty-somethings command a ship of the line?

After the abomination that was Nemesis and the wasted potential of the Enterprise series I am psyched that Abrams is rebooting the series. I like the actors and visuals I've seen thus far and have high hopes. Only question I have that needs to be explained well: why is Starfleet letting a crew twenty-somethings command a ship of the line?

Spock is a Vulcan, he can look twenty something and still be forty or fifty something. Kirk is supposed to be young, he was the youngest officer ever promoted to Captain in Starfleet history. Scotty doesn't look twenty something, he looks thirty something or matbe 40 that seems about right. However Bones does look too young, I know that actor playing him has a fan following, but they really should have gotten someone older to play him.

I really wish Paramount had just let Star Trek rest for a decade or so and then rebooted it. It's too soon. and this is a devoted Trekkie saying that. The wounds are way too fresh from the years of the franchise being held hostage by Berman and Braga. It's like a bad break up. You stay together way too long in the hope that the relationship will somehow get better even though you know that it won't. When you finally walk away with the taste of ashes in your mouth, you don't just go hop into another committed relationship. You need time to heal. This movie will be a rebound fling at best, a quick flash in the pan, not a legitimate reboot of the franchise.

I am liking this less and less the more I see of it. I nerver liked it that Abbrams was attached to the project. He's better than Michael Bay, but that's not saying much. I actually feel resentment towards him for thinking that he can jump start this franchise that has crashed so badly. He's either extremely arrogant to think that he can revive the franchise overnight after what the fans have been through or he's a greedy bastard looking to make a quick buck by capitalizing on a well known name.

I'm a huge Trek fan. Of course I have apprehensions about it. That isn't going to stop me from enjoying it. Hell, I don't know that I liked the final outcome of Nemesis, but I liked it. I also believe Enterprise got a bad rap and it should have been allowed a couple more years.

While Bones is older than Kirk, he really only has about 10 years on him. He should be roughly of an age with Scotty.

Season 3 & 4 of Enterprise were the best seasons of Star Trek since DS9 ended. Problem was Berman and Braga so totally screwed things up with their repetitive-space-anomomaly-boring-as-shit-recycled-Voyager/Next-Gen-episodes for the first two seasons that nobody was around to watch when they finally got some decent writers for the latter 2 seasons.

I guess I'm just so tired of trying to recapture those fun movie/TV events from my childhood I'm ready to move to something different. I'm done with working myself up into an excited frenzy in anticipation for the next movie event of the century. Being at the midnight show the night before the movie opens with a bunch of other fans packed in like sardines. After the Star Wars prequels, Indiana Jones, and Superman Returns - which I liked enough to be excited about this restart of the franchise but then WB decides to trash it and go with another reboot...I'm too old for this shit.

The only way I'm going to get any enjoyment out of this movie is to not think about or get excited about it. Just put it in my Netflix queue and when it comes, it comes, then I'll watch it by myself in my own home in my comfy chair on a quiet Friday night with a glass of warm milk.

Shit, I am old.

Just put it in my Netflix queue and when it comes, it comes, then I'll watch it by myself in my own home in my comfy chair on a quiet Friday night with a glass of warm milk.

Shit, I am old.

I track my descent into old age much the same way... I went to see Phantom Menace on opening night with about 25 of my fraternity buddies. I went to see Attack of the Clones on opening weekend with about 8 buddies from graduate school. I went to see Revenge of the Sith with my dad about a week or two after it was released. :(

I just did this comparison because, hell, I was bored:

The ages of the actors in the new Trek movie now:

Simon Pegg (Scotty) - 38

Karl Urban (McCoy) - 36

John Cho (Sulu) - 36

Zachary Quinto (Spock) - 31

Zoe Saldana (Uhura) - 30

Chris Pine (Kirk) - 28

Anton Yelchin (Chekov) - 19

Compared to, in 1966:

DeForest Kelley (McCoy) - 46

William Shatner (Kirk) - 35

Leonard Nimoy (Spock) - 35

Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) - 34

Walter Koenig (Chekov) - 30 (although he didn't appear until he was 31, in Season 2)

George Takei (Sulu) - 29

Not as massive a difference as you may think, especially as Chekov, due to the actor's youthful looks, was actually supposed to be about 19 or 20 on his first appearance as a lowly ensign.

I just did this comparison because, hell, I was bored:

The ages of the actors in the new Trek movie now:

Simon Pegg (Scotty) - 38

Karl Urban (McCoy) - 36

John Cho (Sulu) - 36

Zachary Quinto (Spock) - 31

Zoe Saldana (Uhura) - 30

Chris Pine (Kirk) - 28

Anton Yelchin (Chekov) - 19

Compared to, in 1966:

DeForest Kelley (McCoy) - 46

William Shatner (Kirk) - 35

Leonard Nimoy (Spock) - 35

Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) - 34

Walter Koenig (Chekov) - 30 (although he didn't appear until he was 31, in Season 2)

George Takei (Sulu) - 29

Not as massive a difference as you may think, especially as Chekov, due to the actor's youthful looks, was actually supposed to be about 19 or 20 on his first appearance as a lowly ensign.

Based purely on my glancing at old composite photos in the hallways of my fraternity house... people in the 60's and 70's looked a lot older than their modern day counterparts.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived