ADwD in October 2008?

Guest Ser Jaime

Guest Ser Jaime

Bantam Books has updated the Forthcoming Books section of their website with Fall 2008 listings, and sure enough A Dance with Dragons is one of the books listed.

http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/righ...ngfall2008.html

Here is the synopsis for A Dance with Dragons:

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS

by George R.R. Martin

First Serial, British, Translation, and Performance: Aurous, Inc.

October

Fiction

Dubbed "the American Tolkien" by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin's monumental cycle of epic fantasy, "A Song of Ice and Fire," has earned him international acclaim. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series-as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire. In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again-beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind. To the north lies the mammoth wall of ice and stone-a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes, not only within the Watch, but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice. And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon re-ignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all...

I know we should take these things with a grain of salt, since the book isn't done yet. But at least it's a good sign that Bantam is confident enough to list it for an October release.

Who's that supposed to be?

SPOILER: ADWD
Quentyn? Young Griff?

I imagine the former. I suspect that the person writing these summaries doesn't have a lot of time to read the manuscript that he's summarizing (thus explaining some of the stranger bits from previous summaries), and thus he's more likely to notice a POV character than somebody else.

As blurbs go, that's not a bad one.

The Bantam editors etc are probably crossing their fingers and prepping the catalogue entry because it's much easier for their reps to cross it out and tell booksellers that it still hasn't been delivered, than to try and add it in closer to the time. Especially when they're looking at sales running up to Christmas.

I just came across this as well. This is actually pretty big news. Bantam would not list the book on the site or on Amazon unless they were very confident it would be out then. They've also listed Scott Lynch' Republic of Thieves for August 26th. The difference between the Amazon.com and Amazon.uk sites is that while the UK site often has books up as far as two years in the future, and thus often has it wrong, Amazon.com only has it up a few months in advance, and from my years experience, they are rarely wrong.

This still leaves the possibility for GRRM to not make it by June/July of course, so the book would be delayed. But they must be very confident indeed to have it up as a real listing.

I just came across this as well. This is actually pretty big news. Bantam would not list the book on the site or on Amazon unless they were very confident it would be out then. They've also listed Scott Lynch' Republic of Thieves for August 26th. The difference between the Amazon.com and Amazon.uk sites is that while the UK site often has books up as far as two years in the future, and thus often has it wrong, Amazon.com only has it up a few months in advance, and from my years experience, they are rarely wrong.

This still leaves the possibility for GRRM to not make it by June/July of course, so the book would be delayed. But they must be very confident indeed to have it up as a real listing.

In my experience, and I could be completely wrong about this, amazon.com only lists release dates given to them/released by the publisher. In the case of fantasy series' (Wheel of Time anyone?), the actual release date often ends up being 6-9 months after the initial projection. October would be awesome, but I'll still be happy if I get it by spring 2009...

[edited/added afterthought]... and heck, at this point if we get it at all I'll be satisfied (RIP RJ)

Maybe if there is a good result for George and the Giants at the Superbowl, we will get some kind of amazing announcement on his blog that he has finished the book.

Aratan

Edited for spelliness

Dragonfire

In my experience, and I could be completely wrong about this, amazon.com only lists release dates given to them/released by the publisher

Correct.

In the case of fantasy series' (Wheel of Time anyone?), the actual release date often ends up being 6-9 months after the initial projection.

Not correct. It is very rare for a book to appear on amazon.com, especially major releases, and then to be pushed back. Again, this is because on amazon.com they only come up a few months in advance of publication anyway, so there's far less chance of it being wrong. Though exceptions, like The Wise man's fear by Rothfuss, do happen.

In any case, we know it is still being written. GRRM feels it is realistic for the book to be published in the Fall. Apparantly, so does Bantam. I will add, that GRRM has given projected release dates before but Bantam has never seen fit to actually put up a release date for the book, until now, which must mean they are quite certain it will really come out then.

Archived