ADwD in October 2008?

Guest Ser Jaime

The title A Feast For Crows was not announced until Worldcon in Philadelphia, which was 1 September 2001 IIRC. I think the AFFC title went up on Amazon a few weeks later.

I'm now expecting to see the cover artwork for both the UK and US editions to appear in the next three or four months. I think both Voyager and Bantam are going to want to build the expectations for this one incrementally.

Of course, if Bantam are releasing the book in October, that would mean UK readers could get it a month or six weeks earlier, which would be extremely sweet... ;)

...but I'm not buying anything the publishers say until GRRM makes an official announcement.

I have some guesses on what the UK and US covers will look like:

1.) US Cover: A picture of a 3 headed dragon, holding a woodharp (such as, Rhaeger's woodharp)

This follows the pattern of the AFFC cover, showing a crow holding a scepter

2.) UK Cover: Didn't the UK cover for AFFC have Arya's boat sailing through the Titan of Braavos

under a sunset sky? I predict ADWD will show a picture of Dany and 3 dragons with the pyra-

mids of Mereen in the distance. Maybe there'll be some of her allies with her on the cover, such

as Barristan, Strong Belwas, an unsullied, etc.

I still doubt it's going to be as early as October, but reading Jon Targaryen's post makes me wonder if it's prudent to pre-order now and just wait.

It also may save you some money if people get theirs early but you don't. When daj and co. were getting their AFFC copies early, I complained to Amazon UK and pointed out how others who had ordered a bit before me had already received theirs. I didn't get mine early that time but I did receive free shipping from the UK. Not bad if you live somewhere like the US. Also, I did actually receive it early. I got it the day it came out, whereas it should have taken a week or so after the release date to ship to me, with the shipping I had purchased.

I'm worried about Time of Wolves being around 2015 though :(

A Time for Wolves was changed to A Dream of Spring a couple of years back ;)

this is going to be over 1k pages again isn't it?

Last time GRRM commented on the length, it was going to be 'slightly longer' than AFFC.

2.) UK Cover: Didn't the UK cover for AFFC have Arya's boat sailing through the Titan of Braavos

No. That was the abandoned cover art. The final cover was of a golden chalice on a crimaon background.

last month GRRM said he has problems with Tyrion,and now he has problems with Bran.i assume he wil get problems next month with Davos,and then with Dany and then with Jon.

And again with Tyrion,then with Bran...and....and then..JOn..Dany..and again..Tyr...an..Dav..a..B..T..a..J

This procedure repeating itself since 8 years

He says he is not done with ADWD.Ok we assume and hope we get the book at oct.what then?

How far is the progress on TWOW?

For myself its looks like a "neverending story"

This is good news. George did say he's pushing for a fall release so that could mean a late August release for the UK edition (and here in Oz). I suspect the Bran chapters are the last he has to do - so once he can wrap these up - he may be sending it to the publishers as soon as late March!

Sweetmartin - The Winds of Winter may be a slightly easier book to write than Dance or Feast because it should resume to tell the story of all the characters and he wont have the troubles of bringing the two halves together. Still it will take 2-3 years minimum.

And to those who have the UK edition of Feast - what is the chalice on the cover meant to symbolise?

If he's writing the Bran chapters and revising Dany I think he's probably very close to completion, perhaps enough to have some editing being done at Bantam? maybe that's why they put up the blurb? I hope there's more than four Bran chapters this time out. :)

If I recall correctly there was an advert or article in publishers weekly about a month before GRRM announced Feast for Crows where Bantam (and the other publishing houses) announced their tentpoles and major releases for the rest of the year, and Feast For Crows was Bantam's big title. So perhaps if Bantam is expecting this to be part of their sales, enough to list it, they're pretty confident about a fall release? maybe I'm just rationalizing too much, I was one of the fools who thought we'd have Dance 18-24 months after feast came out, based on George's comments (this after waiting 4.5 years for Feast from when I first discovered and read the series).

If I recall correctly there was an advert or article in publishers weekly about a month before GRRM announced Feast for Crows where Bantam (and the other publishing houses) announced their tentpoles and major releases for the rest of the year, and Feast For Crows was Bantam's big title. So perhaps if Bantam is expecting this to be part of their sales, enough to list it, they're pretty confident about a fall release?

Obviously. I don't think this should be downplayed as much as some seem to do. Clearly Amazon put up a listing based on what Bantam tells them. Bantam in turn would not put out that listing without talking to George. And we are priviliged because we know that George thinks a Fall release is feasible because he gave us the update.

The other obvious factor is that we also know the book is not yet done, but appears to be in the final stages of writing. Plus if you look at his upcoming appearances it seems GRRM has a fairly uninterrupted time period up until July to get the book done. All of that aside I'm sure everyone realizes that it can still go wrong. But I don't think this should be treated as just a meaningless guess by a publisher either.

It's the publisher's best guess, based on the information they have. But it's still a guess. Any number of things can lead to lesser or greater delays. A truly firm date won't be set until the manuscript is actually delivered, I expect.

I actually discovered ASoIaF about 6 months before Feast was released, so obviously I don't have the experience with the delays that some long time readers do... but I would look on any release date as pure speculation at this point.

GRRM thought ADWD would be out within a year after AFFC. He even went so far as to post that blurb in the book. The bottom line is, if I see a post on his official site by June that the book is done... then I'll believe they can get it out in the fall. Until then, I'm just taking a "patiently waiting" stance on the whole thing.

Edit: What has been GRRM's editing process in the past? Does he hand it over for a full edit job, or does the publisher pretty much allow George to do all his own editing as he goes?

Full edits are done by the publisher, as far as I'm aware. When I visited him some years back (he was still working on AFfC), he had a partial manuscript boxed up that he was going to be sending to his publisher via the post office, so to some degree they try to streamline the process by having him send material in batches rather than waiting for the whole thing to edit in one go.

Doesn't mean mistakes don't happen, or that they aren't pressed for time, but it definitely goes through editorial.

The cover art will almost certainly remain in the style of AFfC, aimed at more mainstream audiences. I believe AFfC's cover design was executed by Stephen Youll, who did the illustrative paintings in the American editions of the earlier books.

Full edits are done by the publisher, as far as I'm aware. When I visited him some years back (he was still working on AFfC), he had a partial manuscript boxed up that he was going to be sending to his publisher via the post office,

So RAN, did you volunteer to run that down to the Post Office for him? You know, to save him the trip! :wideeyed::wideeyed::wideeyed::wideeyed:

Well, its probably best if people don't get too excited. OTOH, I do think the signs have been positive over the last couple of months. It seems like he is on the last stretch. (And that includes writing Bran. I doubt we'll get more than 2 or 3 chapters but I could easily see him leaving Bran till near last). At the same time, its always possible that some delay could yet arise.

I can't remember what Bantam did for aFfC. I know one of the amazon sites was giving out bad dates all the time but I don't recall the publisher's themselves following suit.

Anyhow, Bantam are not just speculating but we are not there yet. :)

Archived