Goodkind XXXV: Ayn't Life Rand?

The Wolf Maid

This has probably been posted before, but here's a drinking game for reading Sword of Truth novels:

Take a shot whenever the following happens:

1) Richard makes a speech that would last more than five minutes if read aloud.

2) Richard or a follower commits an atrocity that would be condemned if anyone else did it.

3) Rape or almost-rape; double shot if Kahlan is involved

4) Someone loses his or her powers...or thinks he has and thus can't use them anyway

5) Deus ex machina

6) Something happens that would be impossible in any setting resembling real life

7) Something is described in a way that makes you laugh, despite the Yeard meaning for it to be taken seriously

8) Something happens that makes no bloody sense; double shot if this occurs during combat

9) Something shows up that is supposedly world-shatteringly important, but turns out to be absolutely pointless

10) Richard makes a decision that is in no one's best interest, even his own. Double shot if this is apparent at the time and not just a later ret-con like the revelation that women totally suck at training male wizards and thus require a time-dilated island to do so.

Simple version: Turn a page, take a shot.

That game would lead to blacking out before you've even finished one chapter. Besides, raaaaachaaaaarggg can never "use" his powers, his thing has to rise first. That just made me remember a scene from pillars of creation where he just strolls up and destroys 1000 soldiers with ghostbuster proton streams. I was like whaaaa? he never had that power! he subsequently never did that again (that I recall).

Quite possibly. However, I suspect that blacking out is preferable to actually reading an entire SoT book. I have already mentally blocked most memories of the ones I've read. Looking at Wikipedia, I think I've read through Soul of the Fire, if the crap about educating the Haken is right.

1) Richard makes a speech that would last more than five minutes if read aloud.

Speaking of overlong speeches, has anyone listened to the SOT books on tape? I bet some of his longest speeches cover two or three tapes. I bet it would be called a driving hazard though, you would probably fall asleep, go brain numb, or just crash your car to get the voices to stop.

Quite possibly. However, I suspect that blacking out is preferable to actually reading an entire SoT book. I have already mentally blocked most memories of the ones I've read. Looking at Wikipedia, I think I've read through Soul of the Fire, if the crap about educating the Haken is right.

this is true, I had misconstrued the point of the game. I wish I had your determination, I just could not help myself, so I read all the way up unitl confessor. :ack:

So I missed out on the discussion of smoking hot avatars, it seems... Someone recently told me that my previous one looked like a fetus, for some reason?!?

Hence my reverting to a Feynmann diagram... My thesis is getting to me :cry:

I was hunting around the net, searching for a decent photo I could use to replace my Murder Legendre avatar with, when I managed to pull up something interesting.

I forget the exact search terms that I used (something along the lines of "Terry Gookind Sword of Truth Avatars). I've never seen Richard, Kahlan, and Cara looking so adorable and less homicidal.

For anyone that can stomach it....i have a high tolerance...there's a big video clip of Tairy on his web site talking about his books and how important they are. He rambles a little bit, and comes off as a bit of a douche, but he actually thanks his fans at the end. I stole a new sig from that interview.

I was hunting around the net, searching for a decent photo I could use to replace my Murder Legendre avatar with, when I managed to pull up something interesting.

I forget the exact search terms that I used (something along the lines of "Terry Gookind Sword of Truth Avatars). I've never seen Richard, Kahlan, and Cara looking so adorable and less homicidal.

Oh, they're so cute and cuddly! :lol: I especially like the Cara one.. nothing like a proper Mord Sith should look like.

Aww, Richard's so cute! I wonder what plushie-Dick would look like with his manly yeard, though...

You lying and wicked Lemmings! You told me that Tairy's Randiteness did not manifest until mid-series.

I'm sure no one told you that in the exact words: there was probably a warning about how bad the books were, but that you REALLY had to wait until the 5th book to truly appreciate it. The paragraph you sight is about as subtle as Tairy gets and about as succinct. As the books progress, the paragraphs multiply exponentially.

Archived