A Dance with Dragons cover art

Jussi

A heraldic dragon on the cover says "historical fiction" to me, which is a reasonable market for Bantam to want to tap into.

I think they do not what to go the normal fantasy cover big fire breathing dragon, dwarfs, and elves on their covers. Going historical fiction route is better because GRRM writes almost a historical fiction fantasy mix.

here's a secret:

I love the new covers.

They don't show scenes from the books, they're not artfully designed (IE. They don't have art) , they have that ever-so-hated writers-name-larger-than-title, and they're, well, not as "good" as the old ones.

But I love them.

I love how each book is a different color, I love the thing they put on the cover on each book (Where you move your hand over it), and I like the fact that they're shiny (my IQ is 45. Deal with it).

I'm actually psyched about the cover for ADWD.

I also love the fact that I predicted it. That's gotta be worth (carry the 1) 57 points.

And yes, I'm mostly serious in this post.

EDIT- Does anyone else feel like I do about the new covers, or am I just some sort of shiny-liking fool that MR T pities?

I like these covers, they're simple and stylish. Another reason I prefer them to ones with scenes from the book, is that this way nothing interferes with how I imagine the characters to look like..

I prefer the Voyager covers, though - with the matte paper and raised lettering. It sucks that some of my hardcovers are Bantam and some Voyager :(

I'm not sure which covers you're all talking about, but I like my Brittish paperbacks fine. They have kinda.. shiny slightly raised images on them, A Game Of Thrones has a blackish dragon head on a gold background, Clash of Kings has gold crown on green, Steel and Snow has a steel helm on blue, Blood and Gold has a bronze shield showing a bull on purple and a Feast for Crows has a golden chalice with a face on it on red.

George's name takes up a similar ammount / possibly smaller ammount of space compared with the various titles.

This needs to be merged with the post right above yours. Come on man, I can't believe you didn't see that there was already a topic on this. I am sure that is probably where you saw the damn cover in the first place. Your I.Q. shows with this post.

I did not begin the series until AFFC came out in this style of hardcover, so all my books are hardcover with a similar cover design. I am happy that when I finally get ADWD, it will match the rest of my series. I think the cover looks nice, I enjoy the simplistic, understated look.

A heraldic dragon says medieval politics/war/romance/blah blah. A realistic painting of a dragon - realistic for a given value of "real", obviously - says fantasy, and can be offputting for some readers.

I actually didn't see the other topic.

But the other thread is more of an announcement that there is a new cover, and a discussion of the cover (IE.Person 1: The dragon doesn't have 3 heads. Person 2: It's not supposed to) while this one is more of a discussion whether the covers are good or not (IE. Person 1: I hate the new covers because they suck. Person 2: I like the new covers), which was, indeed, prompted by the new cover, leading to the title of the thread. The thread title is due to my excitement that the book is my favorite color, which isn't that big of a surprise.

I should have done it.

Now I will ninja edit.

I didn't realise that the (new) British covers were by Larry Rostant.

When you have a talent like Rostant on your team, it seems very weird to limit him to just doing single images of a chalice, or the dragon's skull on AGoT (a very good idea and a great image, btw) or whatever, rather than letting him cut loose with a full painting. His other cover work is extraordinary.

I'm guessing this image is from one of his historical covers, but it could be an ASoIaF one without any effort at all (mainly thanks to the Lannister-esque sigil). I wouldn't be surprised if this was a ASoIaF cover that didn't make the grade, actually.

I dont like it myself but I rally dont care about the cover, I care whats behind it.

The dragon on the cover reminds me of the silly dragon in the movie "Dragon War(s)" To Japanese looking. I have always envisioned them as most other American fantasy styled dragons. I dont really remember how Martin described them, I have my own picture in my head.

I just want the damn book. The cover could be blank for all I care.

That Japanese style dragon drove me crazy in that movie. I've always pictured Dany's dragons as the more typical American fantasy style.

The cover isnt bad if that is whats going hit stores. To everyone on this board the cover wont matter too much, if the cover has a pink flamingo and a bottle of aquafina water you will still read the book in 5 days tops...dont deny it. The green i think fits well and you UK people can keep your pretty shiny covers and your fish and chips :P

I kinda like the cover, I went over to his homepage and looked at the covers of the other books and a lot of them looked bad especially ones designed for Taiwan its almost like they said it was a fantasy book so throw a dragon or two on it and that will work. They had know idea what the book was about or what happened in it.

I think a cover like this would work in any market.

The UK covers are very cool, although it seems AFfC hasn't been released there yet in paperback?? That or the cover art remained the same and GRRM's web site didn't note that explicitly.

AFFC came out in paperback about a year after the hardcover. It had the same cover, although they fixed the blurb and removed the ADWD preview chapter for some reason.

Archived