Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson

Werthead

Here we go.

That covers a lot of ground:

SPOILER: TTH
Kruppe and K'Rul, we find out where the original Apsalar got to, we get some action in the afterlife and within Dragnipur as well, and a storyline left hanging from GotM and MoI - Draconus' imprisonment - seems to have come back to the fore.

Cool :)

The hooded one said, “Ghastly? I suppose it is. A necropolis of sorts, Shadowthrone. A village of the discarded. Both timeless and, yes, useless. Such places,†he continued, “are ubiquitous.â€

“Speak for yourself,†said Shadowthrone. “Look at us, waiting. Waiting. Oh, if I were one for decorum and propriety!†A sudden giggle. “If any of us were!â€

All at once the Hounds returned, hackles raised, gazes keen on something far up the main street.

“One more,†whispered the priest. “One more and the last, yes.â€

“Will all this happen again?†the woman asked him, as sudden fear ripped through her. Someone is coming. Oh, gods, someone is coming. “Tomorrow? Tell me!â€

“I would imagine not,†the priest said after a moment. He swung his gaze to the dog carcass lying in the dust. “No,†he said again, “I imagine not.â€

This piece highlights once more why I dropped this series. Characters talking like....... well I don't know what they talk like actually, it doesn't sound like anything that should come out of anybody's mouth, but certainly not hugely powerful age old superhuman ascendants or Gods.

And his prose is just awful all around. The man is a struggle to follow.

She had witnessed many things in this interminable interlude in her career

Interminable interlude?Ubiquitous? Girls that don't look loquacious? Coupled to dialogue like above? Sigh.

The prologues are always unbelievably pretentious, though. Usually the first actual chapter is a lot better and the books generally get better as they go along.

Agreed, if I'd never read this series before the TTH prologue would not convince me to pick it up.

Anyone read the 'new' edition of Gardens of the Moon? The new introduction to the series was pretty bizarre. It seemed to consist of Erikson alternating between damning the rest of epic fantasy as timid and safe (Cook excepted) and being very defensive about how some people don't 'get' GotM and drop out a third of the way into the book. I must admit that, again, if I wasn't already a reader I'd probably have been put off by that introduction.

The prologues are always unbelievably pretentious, though. Usually the first actual chapter is a lot better and the books generally get better as they go along.

Agreed. I can never read his prologues without the rest of the book, as they never hold my interest. So I'll be skipping this one out till Toll the Hounds comes out.

Anyone read the 'new' edition of Gardens of the Moon? The new introduction to the series was pretty bizarre. It seemed to consist of Erikson alternating between damning the rest of epic fantasy as timid and safe (Cook excepted) and being very defensive about how some people don't 'get' GotM and drop out a third of the way into the book. I must admit that, again, if I wasn't already a reader I'd probably have been put off by that introduction.

Do you know if this gem online anywhere? I'd really like to read that.

No, you have to buy the book to read it. Or stand in the bookstore for ten minutes.

What's weird is that it was reported that the introduction was actually a joint interview with both Erikson and ICE explaining the origins ofthe series, but it isn't. It's just a long spiel by Erikson about how it came about.

No, you have to buy the book to read it. Or stand in the bookstore for ten minutes.

What's weird is that it was reported that the introduction was actually a joint interview with both Erikson and ICE explaining the origins ofthe series, but it isn't. It's just a long spiel by Erikson about how it came about.

That's too bad.

I'm not buying another copy, and I doubt I could find the new UK editions in US stores. Oh well, no big loss.

I guess Malazan is one of those love/hate things.

The prologue wasn't much. I don't find it interesting.

Not much for me to say as I still haven't read Reaper's Gale so I can't comment yet on Toll the Hounds except maybe to wonder if the Hound will be turned into giant brass bells?

• 3 months later...
Wow, got an email from Amazon UK this morning saying the book has shipped. :)

Didn't think it was supposed to come out until next week.

Cool. I'll start checking out the bookshops tomorrow. If it's shipped, it's a good sign that Transworld have started sending their stock out to all the sellers.

Wow, got an email from Amazon UK this morning saying the book has shipped. :)

Didn't think it was supposed to come out until next week.

This isn't a surprise - it usually comes out a week or two before release. I just wish the stupid postal service would hurry up and deliver the book.

my copy was supposed to be mailed about two weeks ago and I've been eagerly waiting ever since. Hopefully today will be the day - it would work out well since I just finished a book last night and am in between at the moment.

Over on the malazan boards a number of people are reporting that they've already gotten it.

I'm saving my copy for a train journey this weekend, Pat's review has got me really excited for this :thumbsup:

I'm not too sure. 800 pages of S-L-O-W buildup and then a good ending? But then 9/10. Hmm.

Archived