Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson

Werthead

so is there some sort of series recap out there somewhere that isnt 300 pages long? im finding that ive lost some o the story threads along the way to book 8.

Me, too. One time I confused the stories of Trull Sengar and Onrack...which is dumb because they aren't even the same species. :leaving: I just plain forgot which name belonged to which character backstory. Rofl.

so is there some sort of series recap out there somewhere that isnt 300 pages long? im finding that ive lost some o the story threads along the way to book 8.

Yea, I'm having the same problem at times. I think I'm ok now (I'm on page 730 or so) but the first few hundred pages of this book was extremely hard.

Hell, I forgot what Torvald did entirely which was annoying. I had to look it up and even then, I only remember bits and pieces.

Either way, I'm enjoying most of the story lines thus far, just not all. Some bore me to tears.

So, a summary of Malazan so far...

A god crashed on the world, and started poisoning it with his chaotic magic while trying to fit in. Some people, though not always the same ones, try to oppose it. Everyone travels a lot, civilizations and races clash, though everyone, no matter the culture, always philosophise in elaborate english. People die, people live. Malazan armies travel here and there for unspecified reasons. :P

Hell, I forgot what Torvald did entirely which was annoying. I had to look it up and even then, I only remember bits and pieces.

yeah took me a bit to place him (didnt look it up) but he's the dude that was in chains along with Karsa, right?

So, a summary of Malazan so far...

A god crashed on the world, and started poisoning it with his chaotic magic while trying to fit in. Some people, though not always the same ones, try to oppose it. Everyone travels a lot, civilizations and races clash, though everyone, no matter the culture, always philosophise in elaborate english. People die, people live. Malazan armies travel here and there for unspecified reasons. :P

And we like it.

yeah took me a bit to place him (didnt look it up) but he's the dude that was in chains along with Karsa, right?

That's him.

When is the actual limited edition book coming out? I placed my order on it like 1.5 years ago. I know its supposed to come out sometime this year, but this is getting ridiculous.

I second the question. It's quite tempting... I could buy it as a birthday present (for myself :) ) if it came out by the end of September, or it could be my Christmas present...

The book is ready for production. As soon as Komarck is done with the artwork, it will be sent to the printers. So if all goes well, I think that a fall release can be reasonably expected... :)

They expect that things for the limited edition of Deadhouse Gates will move much faster.

Patrick

The prologues are always unbelievably pretentious, though. Usually the first actual chapter is a lot better and the books generally get better as they go along.

Agreed, if I'd never read this series before the TTH prologue would not convince me to pick it up.

Anyone read the 'new' edition of Gardens of the Moon? The new introduction to the series was pretty bizarre. It seemed to consist of Erikson alternating between damning the rest of epic fantasy as timid and safe (Cook excepted) and being very defensive about how some people don't 'get' GotM and drop out a third of the way into the book. I must admit that, again, if I wasn't already a reader I'd probably have been put off by that introduction.

Erikson should spend less time with new introductions and more time learning how to develop a character. Now, I am only halfway through Deadhouse Gates, but have no interest in continuing with the series. I can't see how someone could compare him with GRRM. Not even close.

He should just edit GotM so there won't be all those GotMisms (as fans call the things that appear in the first book but nowhere else or things that get contradicted by later books).

I enjoyed it though and it is still my fave of the series. Mostly because it is less complicated than Malazan is now with 100000 character names that sound the same like Surly, Sulty, Sorry, Smiles, Spindle, Squint, Stonny, Stormy, Strings, Sty and so on...

Not to mention the K's - Kallor, Korlat, Karsa, K'rul, Kruppe, Krute, Kadaspala, that other one in TBH that begins with K... (head of Felisin Younger's plague camp, name v similar to Korlat but with some letters mixed up, help me out here?)

Well its good its finally coming out. I paid for it nearly 2 years ago. I was wondering if they had just forgotten or something. :P

2 years is probably a slight exaggeration, I think it's been a year since it's been on the site.

Not to mention the K's

The man just has certain sounds that he likes. Since he has so many place names and people, they were bound to overlap.

Kruppe, K'rul, Tool, Trull, Trell, Tellann, Thelomen. Torvald, Starvald Demelain, Bauchelain. Genebaris, Genebackis, Stonny Menackis, Dessimbelackis, Dassem Ultor (Ultor, so awful a name).

Still and all, It's outweighed by Shadowthrone (fantastic name),

Still and all, It's outweighed by Shadowthrone (fantastic name),

Seriously? I find Shadowthrone rather clunky, especially for a dude... who sits on the Throne of Shadow. Come on, Steve. :whip: I think Ammanas alone would have sufficed, except for Erikson's overwhelming love of ten thousand names for a single character.

Let's not even get into the issue of Cotillion... :angry:

Whiskeyjack stands out more for me. Ok, you guys already said it's a bird or something but really how many people would know that.

It's not the names themselves individually though, it's just that there are so *many* of them. Stonny, by itself, is good. Stonny, Stormy, etc. is just so damn hard to remember.

I do love how compicated the books are, I like sinking my teeth on something substantial but the names... the names drive me nuts.

Whiskeyjack stands out more for me. Ok, you guys already said it's a bird or something but really how many people would know that.

It's not the names themselves individually though, it's just that there are so *many* of them. Stonny, by itself, is good. Stonny, Stormy, etc. is just so damn hard to remember.

I do love how compicated the books are, I like sinking my teeth on something substantial but the names... the names drive me nuts.

I really want to get into this series, but am not finding it very interesting. I find the characters very underdeveloped. As if Erikson hinting that they are secretly uber powerful is enough to give them depth. Do most fans here just plough ahead and hope the characters start growing on them? I am halfway through Deadhouse Gates and find it quite easy to put down. I mean I actually lasted for 3 of Goodkind's books before I could take no more. I just hate feeling like I am missing something good, while at the same time amazed that GRRM fans think the Malazan series is in anyway comparable to ASOIAF.

Archived