What are we reading?

Ser Barry

Brian Ruckley's Bloodheir was just too tempting upon arrival the other day. Now it is The Martin General's Daughter following a rather tough act.

Is Bloodheir out int the US? This is one of my most anticipated reads but I thought it wasn't coming out until summer time.

I don't think 'Bloodheir' is out until May/June, I think Gyrehead probably has an ARC ;)

Took a break from 'Crossover' to read Matthew Sprange's 'Shadowmage', a tale of rivalry between Thieve's Guilds and forbidden magic. It's an entertaining read that unfortunately doesn't stand out as being original in any way at all (although there's just enough there to make me want to see what happens next). My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off 'Crossover', not sure what I'll read after that...

I don't think 'Bloodheir' is out until May/June, I think Gyrehead probably has an ARC ;)

As do I! Oh yeah! ;)

Truth be told I was slightly disappointed with it (only slightly! and in comparison to the first book! phew.); review in the next few weeks. As I am slightly less with Karen Miller's -- but haven't finished that, so judgement can wait!

I've just finished Ken MacLeod's The Execution Channel which is currently nominated for however many awards equals a lot, and I enjoyed it. Not bad at all, though I was disappointed with the ending.

It's set in a slightly alternate near-future, quite political, funny, daring, and interesting, though not without flaws.

Review here!

~Chris

Just burned through The Appeal by Grisham. Very disappointing.

I am always reading Les Miserables by Hugo. It is an ongoing 5-year project to get through that book. I can't just sit and read it straight through. I keep picking up other books and then coming back to Hugo.

Books that I will probably be reading next include Three Cups of Tea which my wife just finished and said it was excellent. I also have the Benazir Bhutto book that she finished right before she got assassinated. After getting back involved in this board, I might have to start a reread of ASOIAF since many of the thread topics only seem vaguely familiar.

As do I! Oh yeah! ;)

Truth be told I was slightly disappointed with it (only slightly! and in comparison to the first book! phew.); review in the next few weeks. As I am slightly less with Karen Miller's -- but haven't finished that, so judgement can wait!

~Chris

You and gyre are smegheads. Teasing evil smegheads.

Just finished Altered Carbon. I picked up Broken Angels and Woken Furies on the strength thereof. I also picked up Ysabel, which I may read first as a change in pace. I just started Manhunt (about the assassination of Lincoln). It has a fair amount of potential. I'm still trying to get through Winterbirth. I just can't do it. I may give up.

Just finished The Witness by James Jauncey

A non-Fantasy offering this, it is a tale set in the Scottish Highlands sometime in the near future after the government has passed a very unpopular land reform act that has half the country up in rebellious arms.

An 18-year old boy named John MacNeill witnesses the Blackriggs Massacre, where a group of soliders spins completely out of control and murders a whole village. He is the sole witness, or so he thinks, but later on he find and escapes with a young handicapped boy who had hidden himself in a cave during the slaughter. From that moment it's John and the boy, along with others who he encounters who either help or betray him, on the run to the rebel leader, pursued bu soldiers and bullies from his youth. The relation between John and the little boy is remarkable. I don't think I would have had his patience and empathy.

A touching book really. Not a great novel but well worth a read.

Rating:

7.5 out of 10.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witness-James-Jaun...4060&sr=1-1

I am re-reading "The Oresteia" Trilogy by Aeschylus although this is the first time I have read it in the original Ancient Greek. I am really enjoying it for when reading a translation of something I always feel that I am losing out on the reading expierence. This re-read is really bringing back my passion for Ancient Greek and Latin literature. I foresee a re-read of Virgil coming up I think.

I will certainly be reading "Far From the Madding Crowd" by Thomas Hardy for the first time during the next few weeks.

I plan to read "Midnight Tides" by Steven Erikson at sometime during this month if I can fit it in although I have never been able to decide if I like Erikson or not as I love his world/ascendants/gods stuff but have trouble sympathising with the characters.

What am I reading, in reality? Text books. What do I wish I could be reading? Some of my Christmas haul: Cook's Black Company, Dunsany's The King of Elfand's Daughter, and White's The Once and Future King. But then again, that is just what I wish I could be reading.

...I hate you, Gyrehead, chris. :P

I just made the mistake of reading this.

How this author keeps getting on the New York Times bestseller list is one of the Earth's great mysteries. :ack::o :sick:

Well, it is the same earth that kept Da Vinci Code in the list, so...

Gah. I must get my hands on The Outlaw Demon Wails. I had forgotten it had come out!

I finished Already Dead by Charlie Huston. Think RedEyeGhost rec'd it here. It kicked some serious ass, and I really enjoyed it. Took a while to get used to the format and style of the book (i.e. no chapters), but once I did, I was totally engrossed. This might be the fastest I've finished a book in years (about a week).

Think I'm going to read Mistborn next.

And I'm also reading A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan. No one here will care, except maybe Ser Barry, which is why I'm even mentioning it. It's pretty fascinating and he writes well. Worth checking out, if you're an MMA fan, or a fan of any fighting sport.

I just finished Haruki Murakami's Wind-Up Bird Chronicle which I absolutely loved as I was reading it, better than Kafka on the Shore or Hard Boiled Wonderland, the other two books I've read by him.

Hmm. How tastes may vary. It is one of the worst books I have ever read in my life. On a par with Redemption of Althaluas or The Soddit....or even worse. I read it a couple of years ago and since then cannot bring myself to try one more book by Murakami.

Anyway, a week afo I finally finished Perdido Street Station. Not bad, although it left a few cliff-hangers, as if there is another book in the series. Is there? It was the biggest challange Englishwise. More than 200 words that I didn't know. I have not read a book like that for 6-7 years.

Now I am reading The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers.

Not bad, although a bit...primitive, but I don't think it is the book's fault. I have seen too many movies or read more contemporary books that implemented all sort things that were invented in this story. I think that is where this feeling is coming from.

I'm taking a break from the graphic novel Bone to read Robert McCammon's Boy's Life. I have heard some good things about it, but 70 pages in it has not really grabbed me yet. Still, it isn't bad so I'm not going to quit on it. Maybe its one of those books that grows on you as you read.

I've just finished reading Joel Shepherd's 'Crossover', a tale of synthetic humans and political skulduggery on a galactic scale. A good blend of action and musings, on what it means to be human, meant this book lived up to the hype I'd seen posted elsewhere. I wish I'd been able to find out what GI (the term given to synthetic humans) actually meant though. Maybe I missed it... My full review is over Here.

I'm now reading Russel Whitfield's 'Gladiatrix' and I'm liking what I've seen so far...

Archived