Football, Footie, Ball, FOOTBALL!

The Inquisitor

Arsenal and Man U win.

I have to say that Arsenal just seemed to run rampant over Milan for large stretches of the match, the old legs of Milan just couldn't keep up with Arsenals younger ones (Best one was Kaka who god is fast seemed stunned when Walcott zoomed up from behind to knicj the ball off him, not that Kaka is old :P)

Arsenal and Man U win.

I have to say that Arsenal just seemed to run rampant over Milan for large stretches of the match, the old legs of Milan just couldn't keep up with Arsenals younger ones (Best one was Kaka who god is fast seemed stunned when Walcott zoomed up from behind to knicj the ball off him, not that Kaka is old :P )

Boy, that was a sweet goal by Fabregas... :drool:

Right, Abedi Pele. Forgot about him. I suppose there was more. Just the first time I heard of another player called simply "Pele".

FIFA's insistence that government don't interfere with the internal workings of the FAs has its positives and negatives. Generally, in corrupt countries, its a positive. But when the FA itself is corrupt then its a negative. Not that FIFA demands that criminal acts are ignored. So the Italian FA didn't get away with its crimes. Its a weird one.

Arsenal totally deserved to go through, they were much more agressive and had more chances in both matches. Clearly they are a side with serious strengths and serious flaws, one of which is their inability to convert chances, especially now that Van Persie is still out ( and I wonder when he is finallye due back ) and Eduardo out, plus Bendtner on the bench. But Milan, man they were as lakclustre as they have been all season. Way, way over the top by now and in need of many injections. Bad management to not see this coming.

Man U beat Lyon, but it was not a great match. Ronaldo scored the only goal. Lyon is a tough opponent.

Barca was the only side to really cruise past their opponent, this was the second victory, easily achieved.

Fehnerbahce beats Seville, nice for them but the next round will be their last. Disastrous season for the Spanish team anyway, what with their Primera Division performance as well.

As for tomorrow, can Liverpool hold out with the 2 goal difference in Milan? Can Madrid overturn the 2-1 defeat? Those are the interesting features, as I don't expect much trouble for Chelsea.

Teresa

Just to add, thanks for the information Calibandar, it´s curious to see who would suceed van Basten. The under-21 manager(s?) any shot? After all, a nice record in the last couple years, sometimes it´s worth a try. And if Rijkaard is free would he be a popular chance?

Foppe de Haan ( I can see you marvel at that curious Dutch name, you would't think he was Portuegese would you ;) ) is the man who led the youth teams ( under 21 I believe) to the world and european championships I believe, it was in 2006 and 2007. He's done well above anyone's exptectation, but he is not close with the chairman so he was not chosen. Rijkaard was never considered, apparantly he either does not want to or people think he will still be in Barcelona for the next few years ( which is possible, depending on Barca's performance).

Really not surprised by Arsenal beating Milan. I don't rate Italian teams anymore and think a top 4 English or Spanish team will beat a top 4 Italian team more often than not.

It used to be expected that an Italian team would make the last 4 or even the final of the European cup but now I am surprised if they do.

I'm sure some bright spark (Mormy :P) will pull up stats to prove me wrong but damn it, I'm sticking to my guns!!

You mean like, last season?

But its always been Milan as the Italian team to achieve in recent years, especially since Juve got nerfed. But if Milan have finally reached the 'too old' stage which people have been expecting them to be in for ages, there could be a dip from Italian sides.

Anyhow last night Ajax CT lost 3-2 to Supersport United to decrease the lead to one point. Disappointing to concede two goals late on to blow it.

Pod, Abedi and a few others, Yoann Pele apparently and for single names "Pelé" who played for Belenenses who now plays for West Bromwich Albion; and another one playing in portuguese second division which was at Nacional last season. Oh, but not all, there are Cech(Marek) and Diarras and Eusebios, Cacá ( spelled differently OK, but also brazillian, playing for Alicante), Messi who plays for Olhanense (from cameroon, it´s his name) and a whole lot more. Just one Maradona though, apart possibly from the son :) The problems of using a single nickname or simple name is that it will probably not be unique.

Arsenal totally deserved to go through, they were much more agressive and had more chances in both matches. Clearly they are a side with serious strengths and serious flaws, one of which is their inability to convert chances, especially now that Van Persie is still out ( and I wonder when he is finallye due back ) and Eduardo out, plus Bendtner on the bench. But Milan, man they were as lakclustre as they have been all season. Way, way over the top by now and in need of many injections. Bad management to not see this coming.

everybody saw it coming, problem was everybody saw it coming last season as well. Finally too old, and too complacent. It´s almost becoming a tradition that the reigning european champions make it past group phase to loose out on the 1/8s. Very well done to Arsenal. And maybe a team which can not concentrate on their own league and are out of the competition for their title by Christmas does not really deserve to be running to be european champion.

Man U beat Lyon, but it was not a great match. Ronaldo scored the only goal. Lyon is a tough opponent.

Somebody was pointing out that goal was almost exactly like the *takes a deep breath* decisive goal Platini scored against us in 1984 semifinals on extra time. I checked, and yes, it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6GC47YI6g very nicely taken (and inquisitor, I never saw Luís Figo ever take a goal like that. this one is a very different kettle of fish) . just rambling on, weren´t players skinny at the time? Nevermind that, sort of sweet to see somebody portuguese do that to a french team, though of course, not nearly close enough in importance. But practice, I guess.

Barca was the only side to really cruise past their opponent, this was the second victory, easily achieved.

They seem to be suffering from depression right now, they won, but risked Messi and Messi injured himself and is out for a month, or hopefully for just a month I mean.

As for tomorrow, can Liverpool hold out with the 2 goal difference in Milan?

next week. same pitch, which is a problem for these things.

Foppe de Haan ( I can see you marvel at that curious Dutch name, you would't think he was Portuegese would you ;) )

now now, Finnish names manage to have even more double aaaaaa

He's done well above anyone's exptectation, but he is not close with the chairman so he was not chosen.

I was impressed by the u21s, both occasions. On the first you could maybe point to Huntelaar propelling it, second nobody really, but it was pretty obvious teams working as teams well picked and functional, so I think positively of their manager (even if I know nothing else of him!)

Rijkaard was never considered, apparantly he either does not want to or people think he will still be in Barcelona for the next few years ( which is possible, depending on Barca's performance).

They lost Messi as well on the 1/8s in 2006 and they were european champions and league champions. problem was the rest of the team did not look like this then!

They seem to be suffering from depression right now, they won, but risked Messi and Messi injured himself and is out for a month, or hopefully for just a month I mean.

Messi is a fucking little baby by the way.

Honestly, I've never seen such a carry-on over a wee hamstring tear. He needs to grow up and harden up. That was embarrassing to watch

Messi is a fucking little baby by the way.

Honestly, I've never seen such a carry-on over a wee hamstring tear. He needs to grow up and harden up. That was embarrassing to watch

I find it hard to watch a whole football match, with all the whining going on. Stop being such wimps ffs. Play acting pisses me off no end. Example last night Gallas clashed heads with someone, but before he went down holding his head he had a look to see where the ball was going! Grr. Man the fuck up.

Haven't seen it but it is clear that he is very injury prone. A lot like Robben. In both cases this can really hamper their career because of it's frequency.

I saw the Milan match yesterday and Kaka was definitly not in top form. He has been injured so that will play into it, but he hasn't been decisive yet all season. Perhaps some new players, some others that can also carry the wagon, will help him come back to his best. It'll be interesting to see where Milan makes replacements. The defense obviously, could use 3 new players at least, the mdifield, well I'm never keen on Ambrosini, they'll probably keep Gattuso, Pirlo and Kaka are the pillars of the team so they will stay, and up front they obviously need to get two strikers since Inzaghi and Gilardino consistently underperform ( only 1 goal for Inzaghi this season in the serie A). I don't think Milan should rely on a 17-year old to do it for them.

congratulations DJ, I think that is one victory for the history books. End of an era maybe. somebody had to do it, congratulations :)

Regarding crying, mileage varies. incidentally, with all this talk of hard injuries and punishments I went looking for the youtube video of when katsouranis broke anderson´s knee. Or anderson falling badly broke his knee on the ground as you prefer (and what a mess that was. I am very glad he recovered completely :thumbsup: ). I should not have been surprised, but I was just the same ( why am I not prepared for it?), the video description did not detail in english what exactly had happened, and of course (obviously) some of the english language comments were accusing anderson of diving and faking being hurt. Obviously. why did I not expect that? And probably there is no such accusation in the portuguese language comments just because everybody knows what that turned out to be. we are all very tough in the sofa or in the pub or in youtube comments. me watching a game in a nice sofa with friends and a pizza and beer, I could headbutt Marco Materazzi.

Haven't seen it but it is clear that he is very injury prone. A lot like Robben. In both cases this can really hamper their career because of it's frequency.

Robben´s particular medical condition I know very little of. Messi´s I know a little bit more of, and it is very particular indeed. I suppose only their medical teams will be up to details ( and maybe when rijkaard or pekerman do not play him they got medical reasons to) but very believable speculation has it Messi should not play more than 30 games a season. The human growth hormone therapy in the past which gave him 25 cms in height, but HGH affects bone growth differently than muscle growth. His muscles are under more tension than normal, which actually gives him an advantage when it comes to sprinting, "explositivity". But the payback is very bad when it comes to recovering from effort and higher likelihood if you did not properly, slowly recovered from effort you can suffer muscle damage. He needs more time for that recovery than normal, his efforts got to be spared wisely, hence the speculation of 30 games and 15 half hours I have seen put about ( I once posted a link in spanish, if anybody is interested I can dig it up again). Of course the hard part is fans remembering that, even managers can get the impulse to risk just this one time, a few minutes here or there. I wonder what is the story with Pekerman and that game, if there is more to it. Maybe the credible speculation I believe in is just baseless and untrue, and he is fine and this is just coincidences. But just in case, I hope his efforts are rationed very carefully. And fans should not offer any body parts ( hi R) to have him play in their team. 21 years old, just back from injury like 2 months ago, and now again, and those when he was still a teenager it makes me sad.

I saw the Milan match yesterday and Kaka was definitly not in top form. He has been injured so that will play into it, but he hasn't been decisive yet all season. Perhaps some new players, some others that can also carry the wagon, will help him come back to his best. It'll be interesting to see where Milan makes replacements. The defense obviously, could use 3 new players at least, the mdifield, well I'm never keen on Ambrosini, they'll probably keep Gattuso, Pirlo and Kaka are the pillars of the team so they will stay, and up front they obviously need to get two strikers since Inzaghi and Gilardino consistently underperform ( only 1 goal for Inzaghi this season in the serie A). I don't think Milan should rely on a 17-year old to do it for them.

Kaká has not been determinant for a bit, apart from CL games last season - brilliant in a few, against very shaky defenses. A few years ago, my expectations for what he would become were something a bit higher, or at least flashier. Maybe the kicking him out as much as possible is related, I thought Galliani´s complaints were a bit excuse making, dunno. I do want to see have a great performance for Brazil yet. 2010 he will be only what 27, 28? A good age for a midfielder.

I'm watching the match live and at this point it is all very haphazard. Constant missed passes, neither side playing good football, very few chances especially for Madrid. I also note that Sneijder is still missing aside from Robben, and van Nistelrooy is not there either, also injured I suppose. On the other hand Madrid only need one brilliant moment....

Red card, and a Roma didn't look good for you, Rafael, but that offside goal could be a lifesaver with 15 minutes to go.

Shit

We lost 1-2.

:cry:

Bugger it all.

Congrats to Roma...

:cry:

4 years in a row now without making it past the Last 16.

:(

4 years in a row now without making it past the Last 16.

Yep. This is not a great side, and a far cry from the reputation Madrid has established in the past. The results in the Primera Division are also very on-and-off and only because other teams like Barca, Valencia and Sevilla are also having very poor seasons is Madrid still on top.

Over two matches Roma simply deserved to go through.

Other matches:

Chelski-Olympiakos 3-0

Chelsea is getting better and better as the season goes on. You see in the EPl as well. I rate Chelsea as very strong contenders for the CL this year, and the EPL title is certainly not out of reach. They seem to have finally found a line-up up front that suits them, with a Makelele, Lampard , Ballack midfield to support Kalou, Cole and then either Drogba or Anelka as the most forward striker. Good side.

Porto is still battling with Schalke, to extra time I suppose. Inter-Liverpool next week, that's going to be a major face-off, Inter has a great side and surely they aren't going to take this lying down? Not to mention that a Liverpool victory means 4 English sides in the quarter finals.

Yep. This is not a great side, and a far cry from the reputation Madrid has established in the past. The results in the Primera Division are also very on-and-off and only because other teams like Barca, Valencia and Sevilla are also having very poor seasons is Madrid still on top.

Yes I agree mostly.

However, this match arrived at the worst possible moment:

-RVN injured

-Robben was in a great form only to be felled last Saturday by a criminal tackle by a bastard that will put him away for the rest of the season. (ironically that Alvarez criminal will only get a 1 match ban)

-Sneijder with a broken rib, and out since a month

-Robinho just returning from an injury and out of shape

-Ramos suspended from this match

Not that I am trying to justify the defeat, but sweet Lord, what a difference it could have made if it was played last week, or the next one... :/

bugger.

Archived