Football, Footie, Ball, FOOTBALL!

The Inquisitor

Not to mention that a Liverpool victory means 4 English sides in the quarter finals.
Yep. Even I would be pleased if Chelsea, Liverpool, and those other two teams are all in the QF. :P

Please, god, don't make us watch yet another Chelsea v Liverpool match though.

Yep. Even I would be pleased if Chelsea, Liverpool, and those other two teams are all in the QF. :P

Amenamenamenamen. I'm getting sick of that particular matchup.

Glad we won, wish I'd been able to watch (it was on, but studies call, unfortunately). Nice to see Ballack scoring, he's my favorite player on the team. I like the side that Grant put out for this match, minus Kalou (although he scored); it will be interesting to see if he can get them to play properly with both Anelka and Drogba up front (rather than putting Anelka on the wing, which is a waste).

Joe Cole playing hard now, as well.

Schalke go through on penalties, I should have put money on that result. From what I saw of it, not a great game. Schalke are obviously not a great team but they sure have a great goalkeeper. At this point I want Löw to go with Adler, Neuer plus maybe Enke or Hildebrand as backup for the Euro, but I fear that's not going to happen and he'll stick with Lehmann regardless of whether he gets more games with Arsenal. :rolleyes:

Well, Schalke facing either of those two teams might be just as bad a game, and if that happens I'll be forced to watch it. So I'd be okay with them meeting once again.;)

It's looking like the set of teams through to the next round will be slightly strange:

Man Utd

Arsenal

Chelsea

Roma

Schalke

Fenerbahce

Barcelona

Liverpool or Inter

Besides the obvious English proportion, no other country may have more than one team left (barring Italy maybe) and they aren't really the most likely of suspects. I reckon Chelsea will get paired with Fenerbahce, but hope they get drawn against Liverpool, as that would mean that there is one tie at least which I will feel no need to watch at all.

Who'd have thought that Roma might be the last Italian team left and Schalke as the last German team or that Fenerbahce would even be there?

When is the draw for the next round? After the Liverpool Inter game?

Kutz, draw will be friday after next ( usually on a friday, dunno why) after the second round of the uefa cup games which will be wednesday and thursday. They do the CL and UEFA cup draws at the same time, going by a couple other occasions, CL at 11 am ( ours, not theirs) and UEFA at 12.

Talking of the UEFA cup, Camacho´s father died, I am very sorry for him. And Benfica has so many injuries to get the 18 players necessary for field and bench two junior players are getting their call ups. Not looking very hopeful.

Schalke go through on penalties, I should have put money on that result. From what I saw of it, not a great game. Schalke are obviously not a great team but they sure have a great goalkeeper.

they do, they do, I was wondering about if he was any good at penalties, weak point of many grea goalkeepers but he is good. I rescind my offer for Palop, Neuer is what I would want now :)

About the game, I did not see it all ( sounds like, lucky me), and got my theories yet again on Ricardo Quaresma, which I will spare you.

Well, Schalke facing either of those two teams might be just as bad a game, and if that happens I'll be forced to watch it. So I'd be okay with them meeting once again.;)

amen to no more Chelsea-Liverpool games, please. Schalke is not looking potentially better must be said I agree with Jon here.

Regarding the number of english teams, last year´s trend repeated. The money tilts things, maybe. Something which is not relevant at all in practical terms but symbolic, but I think in the country coefficient rankings http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/d.../crank2008.html good chance england will get number one this season. Spain has only two teams in both competitions (Barcelona in the CL, Getafe in the UEFA cup), which is strange,because for the last seasons they had lots of teams in the UEFA cup, up to all spanish finals.

Yup the improved English performance in the UEFA Cup is a big boon when it is normally Spanish dominated. I think it's indicative of a greater strengthening of the upper mid table teams in England. However the crap teams in the Premier League are awful, and they can't get points off top half teams too easily.

I think Barcelona are capable of pulling of the Milan to take the Champions League away from the English clubs (and Arsenal, tee hee) but Schalke, Fenerbahce and Roma don't really seem to me to have the quality to go all the way, although Roma could now that I think about it, but only if they don't draw too many of the difficult teams.

Please, not again!!

If they do get drawn together, can we at least have it played behind closed doors because nobody deserves to sit through that again.

Yup the improved English performance in the UEFA Cup is a big boon when it is normally Spanish dominated. I think it's indicative of a greater strengthening of the upper mid table teams in England. However the crap teams in the Premier League are awful, and they can't get points off top half teams too easily.

well, everywhere the bottom half will have half the teams and they are probably there because they got a hard time getting points from other teams, even among themselves. Not sure how differently that spreads in between the several leagues or if it makes much difference for the better teams in each league. More relevant to me, games between bottom teams in England can be mind-knocking-against-a-wall bad to watch - i don´t remember the game I saw the other day ( mind tends to forget. not my choice, nearly all restaurants in Portugal except the fanciest now got "sporttv" in every room and that company bought the premiership rights, sometimes they will show the only thing on at the time). Spanish minor league games are often, more interesting. Money will make a difference for competitiveness between leagues. You know a spanish liga club ( Levante I think. maybe others) has or had quite a bit of salaries and bonus unpaid?

I think Barcelona are capable of pulling of the Milan to take the Champions League away from the English clubs (and Arsenal, tee hee) but Schalke, Fenerbahce and Roma don't really seem to me to have the quality to go all the way, although Roma could now that I think about it, but only if they don't draw too many of the difficult teams.

Roma is looking tough to me, I agree.

Barcelona, they got a lot of quality needing a way out, but about pulling a Milan, I am not as respectful as them as I always am of Milan (except obviously when annoyed by their stunts in serie A, but anybody would). Milan´s pedigree in the CL on modern times is completely unique while Barcelona´s pedigree in the CL is not that great actually. Last year, Milan might have been looking pitiful in the serie A, but the basic group of players had been second in the CL in 2005, won it in 2003, their captain had already 4 medals, and pippo inzaghi was or would become soon the european competitions top scorer. Some of them were also fresh from being world champions. Just saying, if any team in the world has a strong belief that the european cup rightfully belongs to them every year or that year, Milan would be it last season. Plus Milan had quit officially competing for the league last season and even had an excuse ( dodged points for corruption). This season, Barcelona has still got a shot at the league which Real Madrid is now going to concentrate on very very hard - if Rijkaard quits chasing the league and concentrates on the CL, if they fail to win either, Barcelona´s politics are much more volatile than Milan´s Berlusconi benevolent dictatorship ( benevolent just about Milan, of course).

I guess that's true, but if I were managing one of the English clubs, I would hope to avoid Barce and Roma and probably the other English teams.

I have a feeling Liverpool or Chelsea may be capable of doing a pragmatic job on Barce or Roma and stiff them out. Maybe even United could do the same.

Arsenal vs Barce or Roma would probably be a great looking game, but Barce or Roma on top form could get something there, especially if they are more clinical than Arsenal in front of goal.

I rescind my offer for Palop, Neuer is what I would want now :)

As I think that Adler is even better, we might be able to work something out there.;)

I think it's indicative of a greater strengthening of the upper mid table teams in England.

One season's performances do not constitute a trend IMO, but it'll be interesting to see if this continues next year, or even tonight for that matter. The only game that looks rather one sided to me is Anderlecht-Bayern (and maybe Bolton-Sporting), the rest seem to pit pretty evenly matched teams against each other.

SirRots, are you sure? Thierry Henry on the other hand might just send them a few good scowls and nicely chosen sharp words to have them shaking in their boots ;) Just joking, I heard rumors he was inhibiting Arsenal´s young players, but probably meant tactically, this last game I saw him get all supportive for Lionel Messi when he was subbed , and it was not the first young player I noticed him going out of his way to be decent to. It sounds like a very good game though, a lot of potential great ones,

As I think that Adler is even better, we might be able to work something out there.;)

let´s deal then. BTW Schalke and Fenerbahce ( awww, zico, I got to watch them one of these days) are looking by far the easiest teams. Usually what "looks" is wrong. Schalke might not be so easy to break at all, they defend very well and are stubborn. Other teams which are maybe harder and better theoretically might be easier opponents because they attack more and allow more space for other teams to develop their game as well. Just my opinion, we will find out next month.

One season's performances do not constitute a trend IMO, but it'll be interesting to see if this continues next year, or even tonight for that matter. The only game that looks rather one sided to me is Anderlecht-Bayern (and maybe Bolton-Sporting), the rest seem to pit pretty evenly matched teams against each other.

oh, poor sporting. They are a mess indeed (so schalke in the league apparently), but at the moment Bolton is not Bayern. 17th best team in England to 3rd best team (sort of) in Portugal is maybe not so one sided as all that. Of course by saying that am probably condemning them to getting murdered by Bolton, but still. They nearly nearly beat Roma, and nearly tied Man Utd. Nearly nearly does not count, but still on european nights they might come up with something extra.

Please, not again!!

If they do get drawn together, can we at least have it played behind closed doors because nobody deserves to sit through that again.

Cha. Might not even bother watching it, if it happens. Although sometimes I go and watch it at my parents house instead just to escape the moody tension in my own living room.

Hmm. Not a great set of UEFA Cup results for the English. I think we're starting to see a lack of experience against quality European opposition mainfest itself. I think this second tier of English football needs to start making it to this kind of stage on a much more frequent basis. I remember that even the bigger English teams struggled a bit in Europe before wisening up and performing at a good level. Teams like Fiorentina and PSV and Sporting have had a lot more European exposure than Bolton, Everton and Spurs, and I would argue that English sides do need exposure because of the difference in playing styles. I think it is easier for a Spanish side for example to do well in their first Euro venture than an English team.

Bristol Rovers vs West Brom in the FA Cup quarter finals this weekend at the Mem. Hopefully we can pull off another Cupset to progress.

Top entertainment would be Barca V Arsenal, plus to see if Arsenal could shut down Henry if he plays, they should be able to manage it I think

Shutting down Henry seems to cause no one any problems anymore, so yeahm they could probably manage that ;)

Though Henry is likely to be on the bench anyway, unless Rijkaard plays Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Henry.

As for the EPL's relative strength, clearly it is one of the three best leagues in the world and definitly the most exciting one to watch. But they simply have a strong top 4 ( Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool) and the other teams are no better than the second tier sides in say Germany, Italy or Spain.

So, Sepp wants now to impose lifelong bans on those who make dangerous tackles.

Problem, how do you determine what makes a dangerous tackle?

A written declaration by the offender? "I Harald Schumacher declare that I tackled dangerously Battiston. I expect justice to be served and get myself a lifelong ban"

A board of experts determining it? "We consider it an irrefutable fact that John Bull made a dangerous tackle. Therefore, and since we speak ex-cathedra, John Bull gets a lifelong ban eventhough he did not hurt John Doe when performing that reckless action. He can consider himself fortunate; else he would also have had a criminal suit against him. Signed: the Commision."

I wonder how can this be imposed..

..although the likeliest result is another back-pedalling from Sepp. Business as usual.

Hmm. Not a great set of UEFA Cup results for the English. I think we're starting to see a lack of experience against quality European opposition mainfest itself. I think this second tier of English football needs to start making it to this kind of stage on a much more frequent basis. I remember that even the bigger English teams struggled a bit in Europe before wisening up and performing at a good level. Teams like Fiorentina and PSV and Sporting have had a lot more European exposure than Bolton, Everton and Spurs, and I would argue that English sides do need exposure because of the difference in playing styles. I think it is easier for a Spanish side for example to do well in their first Euro venture than an English team.

Fair point but I was at the Spurs game last night and we were just awful! It was more a lack of desire than anything and we seem to be still suffering from the Carling Cup hangover. PSV were professional but other than that, ordinary. If (and it's a big if) we get our act together, I think we can win in the second leg.

I wonder how can this be imposed..

It can't, which is of course why he's suggesting it. He gets to jump aboard a bandwagon and look concerned without actually having to do anything.

I preferred his other remarks the same day:

The FIFA president also spoke about the seeming absence of gay footballers from the game.

"There are gay footballers, but they don't declare it because they think it will not be accepted in these macho organisations," he said.

"But football is open for everybody, which is why they made a gay competition in South America. And look at women's football: homosexuality is more popular there."

Again typical Blatter - ham-fisted attempt to appear liberal turns into disaster. Homosexuality is 'more popular' in women's football? I think he's been having those fantasies again, about the girls in tight shorts...

Archived