College Basketball 2

Rhom

And what is that supposed to mean?

I was just under the impression that you guys haven't beaten many (any?) top-25 teams this year. Was I mistaken?

I'm mostly kidding though, UNC is a scary, scary team. So is Kansas.

As far as UCLA goes, we had not one, not two but three calls at the end of the game going our way this time. I guess I'll take the wins, but this is getting embarrassing. I just wish they started strong at the start of the game for once. Howland has to be great at halftime adjustments, we always play very good in second halfs, but I have no idea we always start slow.

Shipp made 2 huge plays at the end to save the game, I hope he regains his confidence, because we'll have a hard time in the tournament with him shooting 2 of 8 on 3 pointers.

It sounds like Shipp's beautiful but ridiculous game-winner was technically illegal. It can't go over the backboard, even if it's the best HORSE shot ever.

well, we had a "do over" in the NBA, think the PAC-10 will do anything? fun shot to watch, but if I were the opposing coach & team, I'd be spurting blood out of my eyes.

I was stunned to see Duke go scoreless for the last few minutes of that game.

The kind of calls UCLA has been getting really bothers me; when you're getting calls consistently enough that even ESPN puts it up there... you know its bad. Heck, even Duke doesn't get those calls!!!! ;)

Arizona is going to be one of the most interesting debates for inclusion to the tournament that I've ever seen. If they can pick up a one or two in the Pac-10 tourney, I'd say they're in good shape... if they flame out early, its anyone's guess. Who do they have first? If they get Oregon State, you gotta figure they're happy.

Florida has a rough way to go at this point. With today's loss (hip hip hooray) they'll be the four seed in the SEC East. I would assume that nets them a match up with the SEC West 5 Seed... I'm thinking that's either Auburn or Alabama. If they win that, they get a match up with Mississippi State. Billy Donovan could definitely string two wins together in that situation. That will get interesting, but I just don't see the SEC getting more than 5 teams into the tourney.

It's Conference tourney time already?! So exciting, and so so depressing.

So is the board going to start a NCAA tourney thread like for world cup with avatar changes and everything.

Sounds good to me.

I wouldn't say they're very good at all...since looking at two teams I follow,

Virginia Tech is 250-1 and Virginia is 200-1.

VT is 18-11 overall and 9-6 in the ACC - clearly a bubble team, and one that a lot of folks expect to make the tournament at this point.

UVA is 14-14 overall and 4-11 in the ACC - clearly they're not even going to sniff a tournament invite (barring winning the ACC tourny).

Not that I expect VT to win the tournament...but how UVA can have better odds when they're not even going to go to the tournament is beyond me.

At that point, they were probably thinking "these teams have no chance :P so the odds don't matter"

After next Sunday they should have a much better listing.

The latest Bracketology has some fascinating changes in it. Oregon is on the right side of the bubble for now according to Lunardi. Kentucky was rewarded for their win over Florida with a move up the seeding charts so they are now projected as a nine seed facing up against Kansas St with a potential second round match with Memphis. The ACC has slipped down to only being a 4 bid conference, stunning for the league that is "tops" in the RPI... but right in line with what I've been saying all year, other than Duke and UNC there's nothing in that league. (And yet its still better than the Big 10.) The Big East is currently projected with a staggering eight bids... but I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with projecting any of them past the Sweet 16. (Gtown and UofL both have potential.)

In other big tourney news, there are some HUGE bubble busting mid-major and low-major conference tourneys going on tonight. I personally don't know who to cheer for in the WCC championship. If San Diego wins, that early season loss to them doesn't look quite so bad and Kentucky's RPI gets a small bounce... but I'm not entirely comfortable with UK's status on the bubble to think that we could withstand a bad loss in the SEC tourney coupled with some freak automatic bids that get in extra teams in from leagues like the Sun Belt.

I love this time of year.

And if anyone cares... I just got back from watching the 5th Region tournament game win by my high school alma mater here in Kentucky. Its huge, the school has been around since 91 but its the first time we've ever advanced to the region final (some other really tough teams have been in our district for the last 17 years so they've only been to the region tourney 3 times now). Kentucky is one of only two states that still play a classless basketball tournament. The small schools play against the big schools and long live Jimmy Chitwood! Its a very big deal in this state to reach the Sweet 16 which is played at Rupp Arena.

Lunardi is a tool, but I think he's right that KSU will be an 8-9 seed, and I would not be a happy 1 seed if I had a possible matchup with Michael Beasley. If Bill Walker doesn't piss himself, and Pullen (their PG) has a decent game I think they can beat anybody. However, their coaching is so horrendous that they're not going to string together that many good games.

Lute Olson has apparently risen from the dead. Couldn't he have waited until after AZ's season to announce this... :thumbsdown:

I think the reason he announced is to try and coerce the Selection Committee to keep his tournament streak intact for him next year, because I don't care how good your RPI is, a 17-13 team does not deserve an at large bid.

I think the reason he announced is to try and coerce the Selection Committee to keep his tournament streak intact for him next year, because I don't care how good your RPI is, a 17-13 team does not deserve an at large bid.

I would agree with that. Also not in Arizona's favor is that the bubble is getting extremely thin all of a sudden; South Alabama lost and they look to be an at large team... which turns the Sun Belt into a 2 bid league. The WCC most likely became a 3 bid league tonight. The ACC and Big 10 will be four bid leagues this year. So much for the "glamour" of the ACC-Big Ten challenge and the old argument that UK's 12 wins were against a "down" SEC. :rolleyes:

We can also take the "bad loss" tag off of San Diego for Kentucky. The team once derided as "worse than Gardner-Webb" has beaten Gonzaga to earn a trip to the NCAA's. I'll be honest, as more and more of these mid and low major conferences see upsets at the top of their league, I do get nervous.

In a one game situation... I most certainly would not want to see Michael Beasley in the starting line-up opposite me. He's dangerous in the way that Durant was dangerous last year. I don't think he can get it done 6 games in a row... but he's good enough to take out a first round opponent and then make his name beating a top seed like Memphis in the second round.

I would agree with that. Also not in Arizona's favor is that the bubble is getting extremely thin all of a sudden; South Alabama lost and they look to be an at large team... which turns the Sun Belt into a 2 bid league. The WCC most likely became a 3 bid league tonight. The ACC and Big 10 will be four bid leagues this year. So much for the "glamour" of the ACC-Big Ten challenge and the old argument that UK's 12 wins were against a "down" SEC. :rolleyes:

We can also take the "bad loss" tag off of San Diego for Kentucky. The team once derided as "worse than Gardner-Webb" has beaten Gonzaga to earn a trip to the NCAA's. I'll be honest, as more and more of these mid and low major conferences see upsets at the top of their league, I do get nervous.

In a one game situation... I most certainly would not want to see Michael Beasley in the starting line-up opposite me. He's dangerous in the way that Durant was dangerous last year. I don't think he can get it done 6 games in a row... but he's good enough to take out a first round opponent and then make his name beating a top seed like Memphis in the second round.

I'd be shocked if they make it to the E8, but they could definitely sneak up and take out any #1. No way in hell Frank Martin coaches them to 6 in a row.

Forgot to add that I heard on SC that no Pac 10 team has got into the tourney with a .500 conference record. If that is true (and I find it a little hard to believe especially since SC isn't the best with their fact checking), why the hell do all of the analysts have an 8-10 Arizona team in the tourney?

Right now AZ's RPI is 29. Two years ago Missouri State was RPI 21, and they didn't get in the tourney - this was when the MVC was a very good conference (Bradley anybody?). AZ will get one more win (against OSU), but if they lose against Stanford... I will be very upset if they make it in to the tournament. If anybody disagrees, why? Bring it! :smoking::cheers:

As far as UCLA goes, we had not one, not two but three calls at the end of the game going our way this time. I guess I'll take the wins, but this is getting embarrassing.

I agree, it is getting embarrassing. I take consolation in the fact that, as a sports fan, I have had many calls go against me over the years. I figure I'm due. :)

Forgot to add that I heard on SC that no Pac 10 team has got into the tourney with a .500 conference record. If that is true (and I find it a little hard to believe especially since SC isn't the best with their fact checking), why the hell do all of the analysts have an 8-10 Arizona team in the tourney?

Right now AZ's RPI is 29. Two years ago Missouri State was RPI 21, and they didn't get in the tourney - this was when the MVC was a very good conference (Bradley anybody?). AZ will get one more win (against OSU), but if they lose against Stanford... I will be very upset if they make it in to the tournament. If anybody disagrees, why? Bring it! :smoking::cheers:

Edit: Oops, accidental reply.

The difference is that the Pac-10 is deeper and better this year than it's ever been in the past, so a .500 conference record this year is better than a .500 conference record in years past.

That said, I don't see Arizona in the NCAAs unless they beat Stanford in the Pac-10 tournament. I don't know that the Pac-10 deserves 7 teams, and I can't see them jumping over Oregon or Arizona State, both of whom swept the Wildcats and finished ahead in the conference standings.

The less that I or anybody else says about the performance of the Maryland Terrapins the past few weeks, the better. So college basketball fans in this state who are all about in-state homerism (which is probably a large percentage) must now pin our hopes on a school that no one has ever heard of winning a conference tournament in a conference that will never send more than one team to the NCAA tournament.

What good fortune, then, that the Retrievers of UMBC (that's Maryland, Baltimore County) were the top seed in the America East conference tournament and have made it to the final game, which will be played on Saturday at UMBC's home court, about 15 miles from where I am sitting right this second. While I didn't actually graduate from UMBC, I went there for three years earlier in the decade and was in the pep band the whole time, and in those years a tournament berth was beyond any of our wildest dreams. I am extremely envious of the people there in the band now and am half-tempted to show up with my trombone just to have an excuse to be there.

Sure, it's all for the chance of being a sacrificial lamb to a top seed anyway - but then again, Vermont from this same conference beat Syracuse (a 4 seed) two years ago. So who knows, eh?

Sure, it's all for the chance of being a sacrificial lamb to a top seed anyway - but then again, Vermont from this same conference beat Syracuse (a 4 seed) two years ago. So who knows, eh?

That is the beauty of the NCAA tournament, isn't it?

Not only did my Alma Mater USD beat Gonzaga to earn a birth, but someone beat Southern Alabama who is 26-6 so that may have eliminated another bubble spot. Because of that, the once conceivable scenario where the Pac-10 got 7 teams in now seems much less likely. Oregon should get in with a win over WSU. U of A gets an automatic win againt Oregon State in the first round of the Pac-10 tourney.

If Arizona wins another game against Stanford, they are really going to have a compelling case espeically due to their strenght of schedule. But it's hard to take them over Oregon as Oregon swept them and finished ahead of them in the conference. I believe ASU also swept them. Who ends up the odd-man-out here?

as a U of A fan, I have no desire whatsoever to see ASU in the dance over the cats. Oregon I could live with, ASU not so much.

What good fortune, then, that the Retrievers of UMBC (that's Maryland, Baltimore County) were the top seed in the America East conference tournament and have made it to the final game, which will be played on Saturday at UMBC's home court, about 15 miles from where I am sitting right this second. While I didn't actually graduate from UMBC, I went there for three years earlier in the decade and was in the pep band the whole time, and in those years a tournament berth was beyond any of our wildest dreams. I am extremely envious of the people there in the band now and am half-tempted to show up with my trombone just to have an excuse to be there.

Well....not for nothing, but I hope we see a repeat of their season finale against the UHA Hawks when UMBC lost. :)

I went to UHA in the early 90's and was a cheerleader for them for 3 years. An invite to the tourney has always been at least a game out of reach as this is the first time they made it to the finals. Even when we had Vinny Baker on the team they couldn't make it - at the same time Malik Rose was playing at Drexel and there was a good center at Delaware that they couldn't get past.

Now, if UHA does win I would have to believe they would be no higher than the 62 seed and would be there for the experience - this team is not as talented as the Vermont team was and would get spanked like an underage prom date.

The UHA womens team has actually become a stronger low/mid power - been to the tourney or NIT the last 4 years I think and actually made it to the 2nd round two years ago. This year they're even getting consideration for an at large if they do not win the conference. UConn's not the only team in CT anymore...

Archived