Boxeo- The BIG one! 2nd big fight of the year; Pac-man v. Hatton, reactions!

Horus Ex Machina

Yeah, I'll be watching. Urango was a creditable contender at Jr Welterweight where his greatest assest was his power. He isn't a great boxer by any means and will stand in front of Berto all night. For that reason I expect Berto will win fairly comfortably. The only way I see an upset is a KO. There have been some questions of Berto's chin in the past.

I would have watched it if I realised it was on. How did Berto look?, I've been reasonably impressed with what I've seen of him so far.

I would have watched it if I realised it was on. How did Berto look?, I've been reasonably impressed with what I've seen of him so far.

Berto was quick as ever, which is what we've come to expect. He easily dominated the fight and didn't look the least bit exerted doing it. That said, it still wasn't the type of must see, write home to mom about it performance that convinces me he deserves a place amongst the best of the division. He must have watched one too many Hatton fights cause he was lunging in with his punches and grabbing on after them, hit & hold half the night. His footwork was a vast improvement over the Collazo fight where he was often stationary and flat-footed. Than again Urango didn't strike me as the hardest fighter to maneuver around and frustrate. Much more of a straight ahead, less savvy fighter than Collazo was.

Berto landed most of the more solid, cleaner shots, his hand speed continues to amaze, but he didn't seem to pile up much punishment and Urango didn't seem dazed at any time in the fight. During the mid to later rounds Berto (with the exception of a round off or two) started throwing more combination, but almost no outright flurries and alot of his punching was one or two at a time. He pretty much outclassed Urango in every possible way, with a HUGE speed differential and even seemed stronger than him, shoving him around a bit in the clinches.

I'd like to see him do far less clinching. He's gonna have the decisive speed advantage with most everyone he gets in the ring with and he has apparently learned to circle better and avoid more punches, so he doesn't need that. He's still nowhere near as technically sound as he should be, but he did look improved. I'd also like to see more punches in bunches, he could be throwing 3 punches for the other guys one and I want him to start doing it. Anyway, he's probably not gonna be any more ready than he already is. Its time to consider a top welter for a true test. I think Quintana would be a good pick for that, skilled but beatable.

Good news and bad news day for boxing.

Haye has backed out of the first interesting Heavyweight fight in years due to injury. No confirmation yet on just what injury it was, but I heard it was a hand. This is the second HW title fight canceled in the last week (not that anyone was gonna watch Chagaev vs. the Freak show anyway), and it really sort of pisses me off. I was really looking forward to it. I didn't think Haye had much shot, but it was guaranteed to be entertaining for as long as it lasted. About the only spark of excitement the division has seen since Lennox retired. Really fucking blows. I'm trying hard not to shit on a guy who got injured, but FUCKING A! HAYE!, you talk your way into a title shot, you talk so much shit they've built barges to carry it all to 3rd world countries, and now you back out like a little pussy? Fight hurt. Show some balls. Do something.

Do not crown yourself the next big thing in heavyweight boxing than fail to show up. Fucking sucks.

Good news, Manny Pacquiao has reportedly said in an interview that he'll fight Shane Mosley in October. No deal is inked, this could just be a fighter talking out of his ass without his promoter's approval (Arum doesn't let his fighters make decisions, he always makes the call), but it looks promising. Apparently Shane has agreed to a catch weight below 147 and to a 60-40 (60 for Manny) split. Great news. Two fighters coming off amazing wins at the height of their marketing appeal and if anyone thinks Mosley's on the decline, watch his demolition of Margs. This is a fight I'll absolutely pay to see.

Even better news, if this goes through, that means at least for the moment Floyd is on the sidelines sucking his thumb. That's what a bunch of nonsense posturing will get you. As I've said before, Manny doesn't need Floyd. He has a couple big money fights he could make with relative ease, which apparently he just did. Floyd only has one.

Agreed Im pissed that its been cancelled but I'm going to wait until we find out what the injury is before bad mouthing Haye. For all we know he could have broken his hand.

Yeah, that's the far more sensible thing, but its just damned frustrating. Just when the HW division gets a spark of life, he goes and snuffs it out.

Apparently Vlad has called out Cris Arreola as a replacement, which I honestly wouldn't mind seeing either. But that's not to be as Arreola's promoter nixed the idea, claiming Arreola is in no condition to challenge for a HW title at the moment. (Between the lines: The fat fuck has been assaulting more Vegas buffets than sparring partners) OF course one might ask 'when is Arreola ever in shape to challenge for anything beyond a hotdog eating contest', so what's the difference? Your guess is as good as mine.

So, big HBO money, certainly big euro TV money, a 60,000 spectator stadium rented out with most of the tickets already sold...That's a shitload of money suddenly disappeared.

Valuev-wlad is an option I guess. Arreola seems to be in worse shape every time I see him, I don't understand his mentality.

If I had a ticket and that was a replacement, I'd demand a refund. And if I didn't get it, I'd start wrecking shit. Noone wants to see the inept freak show in anything, certainly not headlining the biggest HW fight in years.

Maybe Povetkin, simply because I've heard good things yet know nothing about him.

In other news, it looks like the Manny/Mosley fight was hot air. Manny talking out of his ass/misinterpreted/speaking without promoter approval. Its still a possibility, but it appears they're holding off on anything confirmed for a bit. Perhaps seeing how the Mayweather fight goes.

According to Sky Sports News Haye's injury was a back injury and he wants to rearrange the fight as soon as possible. So hopefully it won't be as long a delay as if he'd broken his hand etc.

They're talking a July date for the fight, which is fine. But what fucking back injury serious enough to cancel a fight will suddenly be fine a month later? I'm not exactly a medical professional, but this sounds like something you can fight through. Which pisses me off.

They're talking a July date for the fight, which is fine. But what fucking back injury serious enough to cancel a fight will suddenly be fine a month later? I'm not exactly a medical professional, but this sounds like something you can fight through. Which pisses me off.

I don't know about that, I've seen people get back injuries which would have restricted their movement enough to cancel a fight but they have recovered from in a similar period of time. It seems like he's still pretty keen to fight but doesn't think he would be able to at this stage :dunno:

News is moving quick on this one. Haye has apparently lost his shot. Klitchko won't reschedule and rumor has it he's signed Chagaev as a replacement. This would be a HW title unification fight, which have been few and far between in recent years, so might appear a big deal. But Chagaev is a virtual unknown outside of hardcore boxing fans and even most serious US boxing fans have never seen the guy fight, as I'm pretty sure he's never been televised here. Word has it that HBO has passed on that fight, so if it does happen, other options include ESPN or Showtime.

After all the shit-talking and posturing, Haye is going home with a sore back and no paycheck. I don't think for a second he's gonna get another shots at the Klitchko's unless he fights some contenders in the division and proves himself, so that better had been a damned serious injury Haye. Hope it was worth it.

Chagaev comes off his own cancellation, a long delayed fight against Freak Show Valuev canceled due to Chagaev's Hepatitus B test. If that stopped that fight, I have no idea how he gets approval for this one. Likely different country, different standards sort of thing.

News is moving quick on this one. Haye has apparently lost his shot. Klitchko won't reschedule and rumor has it he's signed Chagaev as a replacement. This would be a HW title unification fight, which have been few and far between in recent years, so might appear a big deal.

Not really, as the WBA recognises two 'champions' (jesus fucking christ). Chagaev is the champion in recess or some such bs and Valuev is active champion.

After all the shit-talking and posturing, Haye is going home with a sore back and no paycheck. I don't think for a second he's gonna get another shots at the Klitchko's unless he fights some contenders in the division and proves himself, so that better had been a damned serious injury Haye. Hope it was worth it.

Chagaev comes off his own cancellation, a long delayed fight against Freak Show Valuev canceled due to Chagaev's Hepatitus B test. If that stopped that fight, I have no idea how he gets approval for this one. Likely different country, different standards sort of thing.

Chagaev has been cleared to fight in Germany since his first positive test for hepatitus so there shouldn't be a problem.

As for Haye, I think you're jumping on him too hard. Back injuries are no joke, even if they aren't long term. If he has muscle problems he won't be able to spar, and come fight night, box properly. He talked a lot of shit and and so from that point of view he looks like a bitch, but that was all for the box office. You can't seriously expect a man to go into the biggest fight of his career aginst his toughest opponent at less that 100% fitness.

Long term I don't see this as a bad thing for the HW division. Wlad will take a fight for The Ring belt against a credible (for this day and age at least) contender which he will probably win. Haye will have to fight some top 10 heavyweights, which, if he wins, will make the eventual fight with one of the Klitschko's far more relevant and probably even more lucrative.

Its now up to Haye to prove himself a real heavyweight rather than just another mouthy s.o.b.

Not really, as the WBA recognises two 'champions' (jesus fucking christ). Chagaev is the champion in recess or some such bs and Valuev is active champion.

Chagaev has been cleared to fight in Germany since his first positive test for hepatitus so there shouldn't be a problem.

As for Haye, I think you're jumping on him too hard. Back injuries are no joke, even if they aren't long term. If he has muscle problems he won't be able to spar, and come fight night, box properly. He talked a lot of shit and and so from that point of view he looks like a bitch, but that was all for the box office. You can't seriously expect a man to go into the biggest fight of his career aginst his toughest opponent at less that 100% fitness.

Long term I don't see this as a bad thing for the HW division. Wlad will take a fight for The Ring belt against a credible (for this day and age at least) contender which he will probably win. Haye will have to fight some top 10 heavyweights, which, if he wins, will make the eventual fight with one of the Klitschko's far more relevant and probably even more lucrative.

Its now up to Haye to prove himself a real heavyweight rather than just another mouthy s.o.b.

Boxers have taken on big fights injured before. Carl Froch notably showed up at the biggest fight of his career at the time against Jean Pascal with a broken rib and still slugged his way to victory. And many have gone in less than 100%.

Fact is Haye is getting a title shot he's done nothing to deserve. He's getting the fight that everyone else in the HW division wants. One that he raised hell left and right to get. Yet he's canceling a fight that has 40,000+ tickets sold and millions from HBO secured for an injury that's apparently serious enough to nix all that, but will be perfectly manageable 21 days later? (Haye's people have proposed rescheduling for July 11th) This fight is the biggest gift of Haye's lifetime. If you've got to show up less than your best, you do it. Hell, if you lost a leg in training camp you still show up. Beggars can't be choosers and Haye is the beggar here. Vlad doesn't need him. He's the champ and at least in his little corner of Europe, a big draw. He rakes in millions fighting cans all the time. He'd have been well within his rights to tell Haye to fight some real HW's and call me in a year or two.

Most of this is simply frustration I'm sure. Nobody's gonna pass up their biggest fight ever unless they really had no other choice. But damn this shit pisses me off.

Its just when I see guys like Carlos Molina, showing up on Friday Night Fights tonight on 6 days notice and battering his heavily favored opponent to a near shutout victory, I have little patience for guys given amazing opportunities and copping out. That was the biggest opportunity of Molina's career. One he was unlikely to ever see again if he passed. He didn't complain, didn't balk. He simply trained like hell in the days he had, sparring almost immediately, and got in the ring, quickly setting a frantic pace more appropriate for a guy at peak condition after a 12 week training camp. And shockingly enough, he kept it up for the entire fight. Where's that sort of grit and determination in Haye?

Also got Cotto by UD. Clottey's got too damned good of a chin to go down, but Cotto will outwork him, dish out the punishment, and not take too much himself. Should be a fun fight.

Max Kellerman just had the quote of the year, describing Cotto embracing his father: "An expression of true, honest Man-love" (My bad, Jim Lampley said it)

Seriously should have chosen a different term.

Iron Boy Calderon was on the undercard. Kinda pissed they didn't televise. Than again, had the Dark Knight on before this broadcast in HD, so I can't really complain.

WTF? Clottey pretty much jumps on Cotto, Cotto bodyslams him damned near, and Clottey flops on the ground like a socer player, hoping to milk it for a penalty.

Ref told him to walk it off and be a man. Good ref.

Cotto's face doesn't look good. A headbutt cut in the 3rd or 4th is blinding him in that eye. Corner can't seem to close it.

Clottey's landing some hard, solid shots.

Cotto's best round of the night in the 6th, had Clottey against the ropes most of the round. Alot of blocked shots, but alot got through, and all with power.

That cut is REALLY hurting Cotto. He' s constantly bothered by it, distracted by it, and can't seem to see right hands coming. Took more punishment this round. He did have a moment where he had Clottey on the ropes though, through a flurry of punishment, with some landing. When he was done, Clottey stepped out, smiled and shook his head like Sting in WCW.

Clottey seems to have both good power and speed. He exposes himself when he punches and a good counter-puncher could time that and really fuck him up. Unfortunately Cotto isn't that guy. He doesn't have the style to fully take advantage of those openings.

At this point, the cards might be close, but this looks like this will be Clottey's fight if things continue as is.

Archived