How I Met Your Mother

Jaxom 1974

Never warmed to HIMYM. 'Bland' is the word that springs to mind. In season 1 the central character is boring to the extreme. I noticed that in season 2 they focus a lot more on the serial womaniser character.

Also, the 'framing' context mentioned before for me doesn't work. Makes the whole show a kind of 'prequel' and therefore 'straightjackets' the plot.

Then again I am the kind of person who cannot watch an episode of 'Freinds' without vomiting. For me HIMYM is in the same category.

Overall it is too 'American', that is far too soft and sweet.

[quote name='Conor' post='1291822' date='Mar 28 2008, 10.46']Then again I am the kind of person who cannot watch an episode of 'Freinds' without vomiting. For me HIMYM is in the same category.

Overall it is too 'American', that is far too soft and sweet.[/quote]

I would agree that Friends and HIMYM are defintely in the same genre... I think both shows are hilarious.... but to each there own :cheers:

[quote name='Blaine vingt et trois' post='1290465' date='Mar 27 2008, 11.44']I don't see the brilliance, honestly. But I guess that's relative.

The reason it made sense for the Wonder Years? Because the show was set in the sixties and the narrator was in our time. It doesn't make quite as much sense to have a future narrator from 2015 telling me about now.

Again, I don't see how it makes the continuity work any better than good continuity would on any show... and the voice overs don't have to be from 20 years in the future to make any sense. They could just be Ted adding commentary to the story as it happens. In fact, the future voiceovers make less sense, because he never has to explain to his kids that cars used to run on gasoline or anything like that - which would certainly be the case.

Of course, I'm putting way too much thought into this. It's gimmicky and the show would still be just as funny without it. Point made.[/quote]

The more I think about it, I am kind of waffling. Its definitely a gimmick and maybe you are right that it would still be good without it.

I started watching the show half way into the first season. I am usually out that night, and only caught it because I happened to stay home one Monday. I didn't get the whole flash back / narrator thing until afeter watching 3 or 4 episodes. After that I started to DVR the show.

Its obvious that some of the things that happen in the show are [b]not[/b] being relayed to the future children. I mean just about everything with Barney and then there was that episode about going for [i]"the belt"[/i], yet then they have shows where they will change it up so that they don't have to tell the kids what really happened (like the [i]sandwhiches[/i])

Its still a great show though that makes me laugh, so who cares if its consistent.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1291835' date='Mar 28 2008, 10.59']I would agree that Friends and HIMYM are defintely in the same genre... I think both shows are hilarious.... but to each there own :cheers:[/quote]

Of course I see the comparisons as well, but at this point in HIMYM's run, I just feel like it has a little more heart. The first season chase of Ted's for Robin felt a bit more real than Ross's of Rachel. Friends has, what? 10 years though? It has the pedigree. As much as I love HIMYM, I don't know that it has the stayiong power for 10 years based solely on it's premise, even if I want it to go that far.

Still the best comedy on TV to my mind right now. :P

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1291875' date='Mar 28 2008, 11.28']Of course I see the comparisons as well, but at this point in HIMYM's run, I just feel like it has a little more heart. The first season chase of Ted's for Robin felt a bit more real than Ross's of Rachel. Friends has, what? 10 years though? It has the pedigree. As much as I love HIMYM, I don't know that it has the stayiong power for 10 years based solely on it's premise, even if I want it to go that far.

Still the best comedy on TV to my mind right now. :P[/quote]

:agree:

Save the Christine show the Monday night line-up on CBS is hilarious. I really like the new show The Big Bang Theory.

And Two and a half men keeps finding new ways to make me laugh

BTW....has anyone else noticed that Charlie's apartment is setup simulary to Lavern and Shirly's apartment when they moved to LA?

[quote name='Bormon' post='1291975' date='Mar 28 2008, 11.36']:agree:

Save the Christine show the Monday night line-up on CBS is hilarious. I really like the new show The Big Bang Theory.

BTW....has anyone else noticed that Charlie's apartment is setup simulary to Lavern and Shirly's apartment when they moved to LA?[/quote]

Never never never warmed to Two and a Half Men. Nothing about it seems funny to me. However, while I think The Big Bang Theory is a bit overblown, it's still a bit fun...getting better too...

Mrs. Jax picked up Season 2 of HIMYM on DVD...gonna spend a lotta time re-digesting the second season now. Lotta good stuff there. :P

[quote name='Bormon' post='1291975' date='Mar 28 2008, 09.36']:agree:

BTW....has anyone else noticed that Charlie's apartment is setup simulary to Lavern and Shirly's apartment when they moved to LA?[/quote]

Yes, the Monday night line up on CBS is very funny, I like the Big Bang Theory reminds me of some of my brother's friends. Two and a Half Men is a very good show, the whole night had been very good.

Something else...I didn't catch on to this show that the same woman directed every episode of HIMYM...that certainly helps keep continuity going strong with the flashbacks and forwards...

And Mama Petrelli plays Ted's mom. I smell crossover! Ted's the missing Petrelli boy!

Must say that I delight in 'Two and a Half Men'. The perfect antidote to the likes of HIMYM and Friends. The Paramount Comedy channel ran all the espisodes over the Easter weekend.

Sheen and Cryer work great together and finally a show where a child character 'adds' to the show.

[quote name='ztemhead' post='1292894' date='Mar 29 2008, 10.59']season one, ep five or so? barney and ted just went to the airport to try and pick up women. hi-larious![/quote]

Ah...the Sweet Taste of Liberty. You've got some more great highlights coming up there!

I like How I Met Your Mother, I think the interplay between the various characters is very well done. Plus, No Laugh Track, not that I have noticed.

That is what the Big Bang Theory needs to drop, its laugh track. Let the awkwardness and snarkieness between the characters stand on their own.

[quote name='Guy Kilmore' post='1292936' date='Mar 29 2008, 13.02']I like How I Met Your Mother, I think the interplay between the various characters is very well done. Plus, No Laugh Track, not that I have noticed.

That is what the Big Bang Theory needs to drop, its laugh track. Let the awkwardness and snarkieness between the characters stand on their own.[/quote]

Actually, there is, but it really is understated and isn't there for every joke. Sometimes it simply plays the joke out and you don't need the track. Works quite well to me.

Not a fan. It's slightly above average, but it still doesn't reach the levels of [b]The Office[/b] (US version) or even [b]My Name is Earl[/b]. I have to say that sitcoms of the traditional format (recorded in studio with laugh tracks) does nothing for me any more. [b]Seinfeld[/b] took it to heights that will never be reached again and [b]Friends[/b] squeezed the last bits of funny that was left in it (and then kept on for a few seasons more). Now it's virtually dead as a medium for comedy.

[quote name='Conor' post='1292839' date='Mar 30 2008, 02.01']Must say that I delight in 'Two and a Half Men'. The perfect antidote to the likes of HIMYM and Friends. The Paramount Comedy channel ran all the espisodes over the Easter weekend.

Sheen and Cryer work great together and finally a show where a child character 'adds' to the show.[/quote]

We musn't be watching the same show here. Just my opinion but I think 'Two and a Half Men' represents the absolute worst in cookie-cutter style American sitcoms. The jokes just make me cringe.

[quote name='ytee' post='1293306' date='Mar 29 2008, 19.36']We musn't be watching the same show here. Just my opinion but I think 'Two and a Half Men' represents the absolute worst in cookie-cutter style American sitcoms. The jokes just make me cringe.[/quote]
:agree:

I find [i]Two and a Half Men[/i] actively unfunny.

[quote name='ztemhead' post='1292894' date='Mar 29 2008, 08.59']season one, ep five or so? barney and ted just went to the airport to try and pick up women. hi-larious![/quote]

Don't you mean [b]le...wait for it wait for it...gen...wait for it wait for it...dary! [/b] :thumbsup:

Archived