Most deep/meaningful line?

The Alchemist

I'd like to think the most pointed thing written in any of the books is when Tyrion is at Chataya's and thinks that

[i]Perhaps it's not what we do, but why we do it[/i]

Sorry if it's not those exacts words, but yes I feel that line sums up all character motivations in the book (whether they're light or dark grey) and people's motivations in the real world

So what do you guys find deep, meaningful, or thought inspiring?

Love is the bane of honor, the death of duty. What is honor compared to a woman’s love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms…or the memory of a brother’s smile? We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy... A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor. Yet soon or late in a man's life comes a day when it is not easy, a day when he must choose.

"I told them to throw Allar Deem into the sea. I am sorely tempted to do the same with you." - Tyrion

"You might be disappointed with the result. The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling." - Varys

Sums up my attitude toward hardship.

• 3 weeks later...
At the end of ACoK, when Catelyn is questioning Jaime in his cell at Riverrun and asks him for the truth:

"My brother Tyrion says that men often hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it's served up."

I can't give you the exact quotation, unfortunately, as my copy of the book is elsewhere. It's something along those lines, though, and a chillingly accurate comment on the nature of truth.

[quote name='The Alchemist' post='1285989' date='Mar 24 2008, 05.12']I'd like to think the most pointed thing written in any of the books is when Tyrion is at Chataya's and thinks that

[i]Perhaps it's not what we do, but why we do it[/i]

Sorry if it's not those exacts words, but yes I feel that line sums up all character motivations in the book (whether they're light or dark grey) and people's motivations in the real world

So what do you guys find deep, meaningful, or thought inspiring?[/quote]
This line is what leads my mind in the reasoning for Jaime defencing.
But I'll second Benjen as well.

All good ones

Remeber Bastard, all dwarves may be bastards, but not all bastards need be dwarves.

and one of my personal favorites from stannis

I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom when i would of being trying to save the kingdom to win the throne

Archived