Most deep/meaningful line?

The Alchemist

"No." -High Septon in AFFC

As I just finished re-reading the book, this was probably one of the more important lines, as it pretty much was the defining moment when Cersei realized she had lost control. All of her mistakes came down to one word, and sentenced her to her fate.

[quote name='rogertheshrubber' post='1314390' date='Apr 15 2008, 05.10']Given Mr. Martin's past relationship with Disney, I'm going to assume he's seen The Lion King. Not sure about this, but isn't the "That is the only time a man can be brave" line pretty much the same thing Mufasa tells Simba? great movie[/quote]

Yeah, Lion King has always been my favourite disney movie.

I don't have the books with me, but the most meaningful line to me, and I believe one of GRRM's only lessons or agendas in the series is the line where Jorah says something to the effect that when the nobles play their game of thrones, the smallfolk just pray they get left alone but that they never are.

[quote name='homerdudej' post='1322085' date='Apr 20 2008, 19.22']I always liked this one from Varys.

"The High Septon once told me that as we sin, so do we suffer. If that's true, Lord Eddard, tell me . . . why is it always the innocents who suffer most, when you high lords play your game of thrones?"[/quote]Easily one of my favourites. Other favourite (previously mentioned) is this one from Eddard:
"The blood of the first men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."

Not the 'deepest' line, but it sums up the character who says it pretty well...

"A knight's a sword with a horse. The rest, the vows and the sacred oils and the lady's favors, they're silk ribbons tied round the sword. Maybe the sword's prettier with ribbons hanging off it, but it will kill you just as dead. Well, bugger your ribbons, and shove your swords up your arses. I'm the same as you. The only difference is, I don't lie about what I am. So kill me, but don't call me a murderer while you stand there telling each other that your shit don't stink. [i]You hear me[/i]?" ~Sandor Clegane to the Brotherhood Without Banners under the Hollow Hill before his trial by combat with Beric Dondarrion. Storm of Swords, page 387, American Edition.

[i]It all goes back and back, to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance on in our steads.[/i]

Might almost be Scott Bakker :).

[quote name='A wilding' post='1332492' date='Apr 28 2008, 15.40'][i]It all goes back and back, to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance on in our steads.[/i]

Might almost be Scott Bakker :).[/quote]

Yes, I forgot that one. Very, very good.

[i]He rode through the streets of the city,
down from his hill on high.

O'er the wynds and the steps and the cobbles,
he rode to a woman's sigh.

For she was his secret treasure,
she was his shame and his bliss.

And a chain and a keep are nothing,
compared to a woman's kiss.[/i]

[quote name='Martin Silenus' post='1332658' date='Apr 28 2008, 17.49'][i]He rode through the streets of the city,
down from his hill on high.

O'er the wynds and the steps and the cobbles,
he rode to a woman's sigh.

For she was his secret treasure,
she was his shame and his bliss.

And a chain and a keep are nothing,
compared to a woman's kiss.[/i][/quote]

And in response...

"...You may want his tongue, I understand that it's made of silver. The rest of him should never be found." ~Tyrion to Bronn, A Storm of Swords, page 358 (American Edition)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived