Sweet 16

Gold Storm

I am going to love the game between UNC and WAZU the team that scores a biljillion each game and one that defense allows about 50 points a game. Should be a classic battle. I think that these games in the sweet 16 will be very good.

I am also looking forward to Texas vs Stanford not sure who will win that one. Louisville and Tennessee will be good, I think the Volunteers will win that one. My upset pick will be Michigan State over Memphis.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1287600' date='Mar 25 2008, 12.31']I am going to love the game between UNC and WAZU the team that scores a biljillion each game and one that defense allows about 50 points a game. Should be a classic battle. I think that these games in the sweet 16 will be very good.

I am also looking forward to Texas vs Stanford not sure who will win that one. Louisville and Tennessee will be good, I think the Volunteers will win that one. My upset pick will be Michigan State over Memphis.[/quote]

I've got a lot riding on both Texas and Tennessee, if they both lose I'll be in trouble.

In general, its easier to slow a game down than it is to speed one up. It'll be interesting to see how UNC handles that. I think they look good for it.

Call me crazy, but I like how WKU matches up against UCLA. (Don't get me wrong... UCLA is far and away the superior team.) They have good shooters and can really push the ball. UCLA plays tough defense, but if the refs will [i]make an attempt[/i] at being impartial and the shots are falling down for Western, I think we could see a heckuva ballgame.

Its also somewhat amusing to me that the first College BBall thread lasted from October to March and the second thread lasted from roughly March 1-24. :lol:

It will be interesting to see how UCLA responds to getting the scare of the tourney, come teams rebound stronger and hungry other will fall apart. I want to see if Wisconsin can stop or slow down Curry. I think that WVU can take Xavier. And Kansas should win too.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1287664' date='Mar 25 2008, 14.25']In general, its easier to slow a game down than it is to speed one up. It'll be interesting to see how UNC handles that. I think they look good for it.

Call me crazy, but I like how WKU matches up against UCLA. (Don't get me wrong... UCLA is far and away the superior team.) They have good shooters and can really push the ball. UCLA plays tough defense, but if the refs will [i]make an attempt[/i] at being impartial and the shots are falling down for Western, I think we could see a heckuva ballgame.

Its also somewhat amusing to me that the first College BBall thread lasted from October to March and the second thread lasted from roughly March 1-24. :lol:[/quote]
It's like baseball - the season doesn't begin until it's pover.

Refs being impartial...might be asking a lot there. Got the feeling that there is an overall bracket somewhere that the NCAA is working to make happen.

Can't wait for Thursday's matchups.

I'm pulling for Louisville and I see no reason they can't beat Tennessee (not saying it will be easy).

The game I'm most looking forward to though is Wash St.-UNC. I don't know what the spread is but I like Wash St's chance for an upset or at least to cover. I always favor the defensive team.. but UNC can play some defense too, so we'll see. I have UNC in my bracket, but I think this'll be a good game to watch (unless CBS airs the WV game most of the time).

WV-Xavier. I'm not sure who's going to pull out of this one. I like the way Xavier has been playing, but WV has surprised me.

I expect UCLA to win the W Kentucky game. I'm not really giving W. Kentucky any respect.. a win by them would be the biggest upset in the tournament imo. Faulty thinking I know..

Has anybody watched any of the women's tourney? I caught a bit of it the other day, there is a huge difference between the two. About 40% of the offensive possessions were four of the women on the three point line with one in the paint. They would pass the ball around the edge of the line and then maybe a pass into the paint. It would either be a deep three or a short hook shot. If they missed the rebound would go to the other team and then repeat the cycle. Every one in a wile, one of them would drive to the basket, if the defender barely brushed her, the ref would call a foul. It was very slow deliberate game with a lot of missed shots and fouls.

I know the womans' game is not as athletic as the mens, but they should try to do something that would speed the game up and showcase some of their athleticism. The ball is smaller to fit the womans' smaller hands, I would lower the basket the same proportion that the ball is smaller. Also, I would tell the refs to hold off blowing the whistle every minute. Watch the mens game and sometimes you could closeline an other player and not draw a foul. The mens game is a lot fast and funner to watch, they want to get more exposure and fans to the womans' tourney, so they should change the game a small bit to make it more fan and TV friendly.

What game were you watching? Women's basketball, in general, is less exciting than men's basketball, but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be... IF you watch a game involving at least one good team. Problem is, there's maybe 10-20 good teams, and everyone else is noticeably bad, so most games are like a 1-16 matchup, or like watching a play-in for the NIT.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1288026' date='Mar 25 2008, 17.35']The game I'm most looking forward to though is Wash St.-UNC. I don't know what the spread is but I like Wash St's chance for an upset or at least to cover. I always favor the defensive team.. but UNC can play some defense too, so we'll see. I have UNC in my bracket, but I think this'll be a good game to watch (unless CBS airs the WV game most of the time).

WV-Xavier. I'm not sure who's going to pull out of this one. I like the way Xavier has been playing, but WV has surprised me.[/quote]

Hard to say what they'll air here. G'Town is in the Big East and there are a lot of West Virginia alums and fans in the DC area. Those two things might create enough demand in the area that they'll show WV. But Virginia and Maryland are decidedly ACC territory, I'll bet they show UNC. I took Friday off, I'll probably watch them at a bar.

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1288406' date='Mar 25 2008, 18.58']What game were you watching? Women's basketball, in general, is less exciting than men's basketball, but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be... IF you watch a game involving at least one good team. Problem is, there's maybe 10-20 good teams, and everyone else is noticeably bad, so most games are like a 1-16 matchup, or like watching a play-in for the NIT.[/quote]

I saw some of the WVU New Mexico State game that was a bad game; however, I did see some of Tennessee and Connecticut tonight they are very good and exciting.

You are right that the good teams are fun to watch, but the others are just boring. Once their tourney gets deeper it should get better. I did see the last part of ODU and Virginia, that was a fun game, ODU won and a last second shot in overtime, I just think they could make the women's better, faster, and more enjoyable with a few minor changes.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1288528' date='Mar 25 2008, 20.11']I just think they could make the women's better, faster, and more enjoyable with a few minor changes.[/quote]
I agree. My roommate freshman year was on the UCLA women's bball team...I went to a few of the games but was mostly bored the whole time. I feel bad that, as a woman, I don't care much about women's basketball, but it just is not nearly as exciting as watching the men play.

*waits impatiently for Thursday*

I love the tactics of women's basketball. The players really have to make openings with quick passes and good screens, as those with the athleticism to do so by themselves are few and far between. Women's Basketball is a coaches dream. The only time I miss the individual effort is on breakaways - those tend to be disappointing.

Should I ever have a daughter, you can be da**ed sure she'll go to as many women's games as men's.

Lots of good games coming up. Tenn-Louisville should be fun, WVU-Xavier could be a tight game, I cannot wait for Texas-Stanford, and UNC-WSU will be a battle of playing styles. I think WSU can hold UNC under 75, but I'm not sure they can put up 75. MSU could upset Memphis, but Memphis could be upset at any point or they could make it to the NC game. The other three games probably [s]won't[/s] shouldn't be close, but who knows, and that's what's great about the tourney!

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1287664' date='Mar 25 2008, 12.25']Its also somewhat amusing to me that the first College BBall thread lasted from October to March and the second thread lasted from roughly March 1-24. :lol:[/quote]

Last year we didn't even close down the season's thread, somebody just started a March Madness thread and it took over. I think they both made it to about 16-17 pages. I'd like to thank you and Triskele for really amping up the discussion this year :cheers: :thumbsup:

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1288532' date='Mar 25 2008, 22.21']I agree. My roommate freshman year was on the UCLA women's bball team...I went to a few of the games but was mostly bored the whole time. I feel bad that, as a woman, I don't care much about women's basketball, but it just is not nearly as exciting as watching the men play.

*waits impatiently for Thursday*[/quote]

Yeah, Thursday is way too far off when the discussion shifts to WBB :P

I did try to watch a women's BB game once, and made it maybe 5 min before I was completely bored to tears.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1285947' date='Mar 24 2008, 02.19']Lady Lint, your kjnowledge of the college game threatens my masculinity.[/quote]
^_^ Alas, acknowledgment! Sometimes I do forget that I'm in the minority here. To be fair though, my vast knowledge comes from watching way too much college ball, reading too much armchair coaching comments from fellow fans, and tuning in way too much to ESPN. I haven't ever played the sport so I know much less about the technical aspects of basketball in comparison to some of you guys who have played it. :)

[quote name='Triskele' post='1288066' date='Mar 25 2008, 18.02']Can anyone confirm or deny that Hansbrough is two years older than his class merit as he went on a Mormon mission? I was told this and was hesitent to believe it because I couldn't believe I hadn't heard it.[/quote]
That's a new one, I don't think I've come across that theory yet. I hang around the Carolina boards daily and that question has been brought up a numerous amount of times, but I have yet to see any conclusive answer to that question. And we get a lot of Alumni, students, and supposed "insiders" who frequent that board. If they haven't provided us with something concrete, then I doubt anyone outside of Tyler's family or friends know the real answer either.

Thursday does feel really far off. I can't wait for our match up against Washington State. If our guys can come out, play real aggressive, and get an early lead like they have in the last two games, then we'll have a good chance of winning the game. I think it's best that we build a lead early because I do think that the pace of the game will eventually slow down. I'm not sure why Arkansas tried to run with us in the last round because that type of tempo generally favors us. I wonder why teams haven't tried to press us more. I can't recall which game it was in the ACC tourny, but I do remember that it did give us trouble. At one point, Roy had to play both of our point guards to help break the press.

Does anyone else here also frequent some of the scout boards? Yesterday, Cowherd ripped into the Dukies using a thread that was started on Duke's board, the Devil's Den. Funny thing is, I had actually seen that thread, but didn't read it. I guess I still find it amusing and somewhat disconcerting how many people from the media actually pay attention to what gets said on message boards. Still, it gives me more incentive to go post something when some idiotic analyst decides to rip into our players. (But I don't need to post when Skip Bayless makes a stupid comment because he doesn't know how to read anyway)

[quote name='Lady Lint' post='1288622' date='Mar 26 2008, 04.39']^_^ Alas, acknowledgment! Sometimes I do forget that I'm in the minority here. To be fair though, my vast knowledge comes from watching way too much college ball, reading too much armchair coaching comments from fellow fans, and tuning in way too much to ESPN. I haven't ever played the sport so I know much less about the technical aspects of basketball in comparison to some of you guys who have played it. :)[/quote]

You're like the girl in the hot tub Gameday commercial that has Bilas, Davis, and Digger's heads coming out of your arms too!!!

As to Hansborough... Is the question "Is he two years older?" or "Why [i]is[/i] he two years older?" If its just a question about his age, I would think any UNC media guide would have that. If the media guide says he's 23-24... then I suppose its the second question.

My feelings to the women's game are a little conflicted... I can appreciate it as a much more fundamental form of the game and consider it a window into men's basketball of yesteryear... but it also bores me to tears. :cry:

In my impatience for Thursday, I decided to spend last night watching Syracuse blow a huge second half lead to UMass in the NIT. Absolutely amazing. I've watched "The Cuse" exactly twice this year and the other game was Pittsburgh... and they blew a huge lead there too!!! You think Boeheim has them practice that?

[quote name='Lady Lint' post='1288622' date='Mar 26 2008, 01.39']Thursday does feel really far off. I can't wait for our match up against Washington State. If our guys can come out, play real aggressive, and get an early lead like they have in the last two games, then we'll have a good chance of winning the game. I think it's best that we build a lead early because I do think that the pace of the game will eventually slow down. I'm not sure why Arkansas tried to run with us in the last round because that type of tempo generally favors us. I wonder why teams haven't tried to press us more. I can't recall which game it was in the ACC tourny, but I do remember that it did give us trouble. At one point, Roy had to play both of our point guards to help break the press.

Does anyone else here also frequent some of the scout boards? Yesterday, Cowherd ripped into the Dukies using a thread that was started on Duke's board, the Devil's Den. Funny thing is, I had actually seen that thread, but didn't read it. I guess I still find it amusing and somewhat disconcerting how many people from the media actually pay attention to what gets said on message boards. Still, it gives me more incentive to go post something when some idiotic analyst decides to rip into our players. (But I don't need to post when Skip Bayless makes a stupid comment because he doesn't know how to read anyway)[/quote]

Thursday is far off, its taking forever to get here. I think these games coming up will be very good. If WAZU can slowdown UNC and hold the final score below 60, I think they can upset the Tarheels.

Cowherd uses blogs and messages boards a lot. He got in trouble a couple years ago when he used a bit taken from a blog without crediting the blog. He likes to rip on message boards a lot, but he is always talking about them. I think that he is a secret member of them and posts a lot on them.

People from the media do get read message boards. Robert Gates (the States Secretary of Defense) read and posted on message boards when he was the President of Texas A&M.

I really, really think my Spartans can upset Memphis. The Tigers free throw shooting will bite them. 59% is just horrible. If it's a close game in the 60s, MSU wins.

Texas v. Stanford should be a slugfest and a lot of fun to watch.

[quote name='Matt Cable' post='1289149' date='Mar 26 2008, 14.13']I really, really think my Spartans can upset Memphis. The Tigers free throw shooting will bite them. 59% is just horrible. If it's a close game in the 60s, MSU wins.

Texas v. Stanford should be a slugfest and a lot of fun to watch.[/quote]

Yeah for Friday's games I think Mich St has good potential for an upset. Izzo is a good tournament coach (I never really thought I would think of a coach as a good 'tournament coach') and I'm excited to see what he will do.

Kansas and Wisconsin should be able to take care of Villanova and Davidson. Texas v. Stanford should be a great game to watch, but I think Texas gets by.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1289123' date='Mar 26 2008, 10.54']A little anecdote on the women's game:

I used to go to a basketball club around here. Katy Steading is from around here and she used to play with the boys. She was on the Women's Dream Team with Cheryl Swoops and everyone.

This club had a high but not insanely high talent level. Lots of high school players, lower level DIII college types, and the occasional college stud or aging semi-pro player.

Anyhow, it really underscored the difference between the talent in the men's game vs. the women's. This chick was very solid. She totally held her own. But she was nothing special. She would typically be the 3rd or 4th best player on a team of five. She was totally fundamentally sound. Could hit the open jumper quite well and never made stupid mistakes. She just didn't have the size or athleticism to assert herself.[/quote]

I mean, yeah. Sometimes, male athletes at school who aren't on the bball team play off against the women's team (no. 5 in the country), and it's not even close, it's just a massacre (some of these guys could have played D1 hoops, but are playing football or whatever instead, but still).

Archived