Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 Thread

Werthead

[quote name='Shryke' post='1298662' date='Apr 3 2008, 01.29']The Women King is the worst episode for being gutted when they cut the Saggitaron story. It's, frankly, a bit of a mess.[/quote]

Ugh...I dunno, I just watched the next episode. I don't remember the title, but it's the one on Adama's anniversary, where he keeps having visions of his ex-wife. Easily the worst episode in the 2.5 seasons I've been through. Hopefully there's nothing worse than this one in the remainder of season 3.

For those in North America, [url="http://www.scifi.com/index.php"]Scifi.com[/url] will be premiering the episode on-line at 9 A.M. Pacific Time/12 P.M. Eastern Time. I assume it'll be done via the Sci-Fi Rewind service, but it's not clear.

Well, I'm suitably impressed. A very solid season opener in light of the various bombshells dropped at the end of season three. I think we deserved a full two-hour premiere, though. More when I have time to think about it. At least, this has whet my appetite for next week.

I would have to say that this episode had the single best exchange in the first 3.05 seasons.

I just found this absolutely hilarious, mostly because of James Callis's delivery:

Random Cultist Chicky: "Can you feel God's presence?"
Baltar: (Grabbing her boobies): "You know what, I think I do."

Maybe I had too much to drink tonight, but that was fraking hi-larious.

[quote name='mcbigski' post='1301615' date='Apr 5 2008, 00.11']I would have to say that this episode had the single best exchange in the first 3.05 seasons.

I just found this absolutely hilarious, mostly because of James Callis's delivery:

Random Cultist Chicky: "Can you feel God's presence?"
Baltar: (Grabbing her boobies): "You know what, I think I do."

Maybe I had too much to drink tonight, but that was fraking hi-larious.[/quote]

It's not the drink - it was classic Baltar. Actually, I'm *very* interested in his current situation... I can never quite figure out whether he really believes what he's saying. I think he believes that he believes it. ;)

The opening battle was beautifully shot. Some amazing sequences there. The Baltar storyline is my favorite so far, quite interesting. Callis always manages to entertain. I'm glad psycho death trials guy (aka Father of Kevin) was killed in a logical manner. But I'm still not very happy about the identities of the Final Four. I love Tigh, but hate seeing him like this. I guess I'll get over it though. Also, Starbuck's quest for Earth has piqued my interest.

You know, I am not clear as to exactly what Baltar's purpose is. Neither human nor Cylon will ever trust him again, so he's left with his little cult of space-hippies who think he's the Messiah. We've already had the crazies-in-the-fleet storyline, and visiting that well again would be plain boring, so why is Baltar still around? What does his personal journey have to tell us?

I don't think the cylons are monolithic in purpose. I think both Humans and Cylon are going through a transformation, Baltar will be instrumental in that. Through out the series, Head Seven has been cutting Baltar away from all his ties. From his Human connections, from his Cylon connections, in the end he is just left with "God". I think we will be exploring the nature of this being that seems to govern the Cylons and has alot of influence amongst humans. (Heck, we have not proof either way if this exists and Baltar is a victim of delusions and coincidence.)

[quote name='Guy Kilmore' post='1301712' date='Apr 4 2008, 21.35'](Heck, we have not proof either way if this exists and Baltar is a victim of delusions and coincidence.)[/quote]

I'd like to think it's this. Baltar has always a) had himself as his god, and b) been lucky. I don't see this latest episode as any proof otherwise. He's got a god complex and has lots of real and imaginary enablers.

[quote name='Lord of the North' post='1301672' date='Apr 4 2008, 19.29']Did anyone else actually think that Tigh shot Adama?

I was definitely fooled. I jumped right out of my seat and screamed "Not again!!"[/quote]
*raises hand*

and:
[quote]Well, I'm suitably impressed. A very solid season opener in light of the various bombshells dropped at the end of season three. [b]I think we deserved a full two-hour premiere[/b], though. More when I have time to think about it. At least, this has whet my appetite for next week.[/quote]
:agree:

Overall, great episode tonight. As with others, I'm liking the Baltar plotline... Kara's unfortunately seems like it will be very difficult to resolve in a reasonable manner, although I'll hold out hope.

Random Drunken thought: Is it possible the final one either A. hasn't been born/created yet, or B. is somehow a combination of multiple people?

[quote name='Lord of the North' post='1301672' date='Apr 5 2008, 00.29']Did anyone else actually think that Tigh shot Adama?

I was definitely fooled. I jumped right out of my seat and screamed "Not again!!"[/quote]

I hollered, "What??!!" - scaring the dog AND my husband.

I'm glad Baltar got rid of the face foliage. He looks sneakier without it, which is just what we like :D .

[quote name='Lord of the North' post='1301672' date='Apr 5 2008, 06.29']Did anyone else actually think that Tigh shot Adama?

This scene was spoiled in advance (in fact, almost everything that happened in this ep was already known if one followed every spoiler), and it was heavily hinted (by the one who spoiled it in the first place) that it was a dream scene. Tigh is afraid of becoming someone he has always hated since the shooting of Adama; Boomer.

Lightsnake;
The final 10 episodes will air (filming is about to start) but it may take until 2009 for that. At best, they will be aired in late 2008.

Guest Domaine Raidneé
[quote name='TrackerNeil' post='1301708' date='Apr 5 2008, 01.27']You know, I am not clear as to exactly what Baltar's purpose is. Neither human nor Cylon will ever trust him again, so he's left with his little cult of space-hippies who think he's the Messiah. We've already had the crazies-in-the-fleet storyline, and visiting that well again would be plain boring, so why is Baltar still around? What does his personal journey have to tell us?[/quote]

IMO, his purpose is to carry on the polytheistic/monotheistic conflict, which has been one of the longest running (and possibly the major) theme of the show. I think he's going to be the character that brings it to some kind of resolution.

Also, I think Starbuck is some kind of clone.

And I think the fifth has to already exist, because the other cylons seem to know that all five are close and with the fleet. I think it's a female, just because 3 of the 5 are already male, and I think it's someone we already know. By process of elimination, I think it's Dualla. She is very well-positioned.

I've come to terms with the fact that the show will overuse mysticism to drive the plot and/or resolve it. Fair enough. But at least be fricken consistent. When they're chastising Kara for wanting to change the direction of the entire fleet on a 'feeling', perhaps someone should have mentioned how the President hijacked half the fleet on a fricken feeling and hallucination and ended up being right. Without mentioning that (ideally Kara, belligerently, and to the President's face), the whole conflict loses credibility.

And yeah, Adama you're a tough as nails realist, don't believe in miracles...might have worked in season 1, but I'd say that you've seen more than a few of them by now. What's the big deal?

And this is the trap a show like this falls into if it begins to rely too heavily on the mystic. You can't rightly dismiss it out of hand when another character says 'you've gotta believe me!'.

Archived