[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] Jon 3 but actually Jon 1

LugaJetboyGirl

Thanks Jaqen. Is this theory or are there strong hints to it in the reading that I might have missed, I wonder.

Methinks I need to go back and read the description of the looks of the alchemist, eh?

Edited by Lundy

Thanks for sharing your theory Schlafmohn. :cheers:

I hadn't heard that GRRM quote before about Jon's heart struggling with itself. Gets me all excited about ADwD again!

Maybe it's just me, but I was really excited when Jon had to take up with the wildlings. I formulated all kinds of theories for his future. Not once did I come up with he'd become the next Lord Commander of the Night's Watch! I was taken completely by surprise.

I hope to be taken by surprise again for Jon's next chapter. Fer instance, who could think he'd ever leave the wall??? That'd be pretty grey. :fencing:

'course that's likely just wishful thinking on my part. What if he was forced (or felt he was forced) into it?

It's been so long now since I read Storm of Swords that I've forgotten what theories I came up with back then for Jon. I'll have to re-read. :blushing: :read:

oh sorry, this was a misunderstandig. GRRM's quote is not about Jon at all. It is a general one: He stated that he likes stories better that deal with the character struggeling with himself better than those telling a story about good fighting evil. Let's see if I find the original quote again... I just applied his quote to Jon.

Here's a link to a report: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/4142/

I thik he said that or something similar a few times...

• 3 weeks later...

The Alchemist is Jaqen and now Jaqen is Pate. Either the FM wanted access to the entire Citadel (maybe something to do w/ relics?) or Jaqen is there to assassinate someone. I find the agenda of the FM one of the most interesting unknowns of the entire series

How are we so certain Jaqen and the Alchemist are one? Do their descriptions match? If so, where is Jaqen's description? One of Arya's chapters in ACoK? Sorry, my memory is poor. Comes with old age ya see... ha.

And if their descriptions match, why would Jaqen adopt a used face, one he's used before? Has he a stockpile of faces to choose from? j/k - sorta

And on another thread this was posted by someone who's name I've forgotten - sorry...

"If you're curious whom the Alchemist is working for, this is a key passage. Had Yoren gone to Longwaters to collect the sweepings of the dungeon, Rennifer would not have recommended the Alchemist and his merry band for release. Some years later he's still covering his ass by pointing out that of _course_ he didn't want to do anything about it, but "the papers were in proper order." So the Alchemist only leaves King's Landing on somebody's personal intervention."

Damn - really have to review the utterly boring Longwaters and what he says now. Wish I had more time for this... :wacko: yes, I'm whining. *chagrin*

• 2 weeks later...

How are we so certain Jaqen and the Alchemist are one? Do their descriptions match? If so, where is Jaqen's description? One of Arya's chapters in ACoK? Sorry, my memory is poor. Comes with old age ya see... ha.

And if their descriptions match, why would Jaqen adopt a used face, one he's used before? Has he a stockpile of faces to choose from? j/k - sorta

Lundy, the description of Jaqen's face from Storm of Swords perfectly matches the face of the Alchemist from Feast for Crows. Currently unknown political motive involving a foreign power also would seem to develop the plotline nicely.

Curly black hair and a scar under the eye sounds uncannily like Osney Kettleblack. Hey what's he doing in Oldtown?

ACoK, not ASoS:

Jaqen passed a hand down his face from forehead to chin, and where it went he changed. His cheeks grew fuller, his eyes closer; his nose hooked, a scar appeared on his right cheek where no scar had been before. And when he shook his head, his long straight hair, half red and half white, dissolved away to reveal a cap of tight black curls....

Compare to the alchemist in AFfC:

He was just a man, and his face was just a face. A young man’s face, ordinary, with full cheeks and the shadow of a beard. A scar showed faintly on his right cheek. He had a hooked nose, and a mat of dense black hair that curled tightly around his ears. It was not a face Pate recognized.

Thanks Jaan & Ran. Now if Pate is the Alchemist/Jaqen in a new guise... I see your point about a foreign interest in the Citadel. Very interesting.

Do ya think more will be revealed in this particular plot line in ADwD? I wonder how interested our FM is in the fact that (what's his name? Maester) left the Citadel to find Dany. I wonder how much the Maester and/or Pate/not got out of Sam's recollections of Aemon's ramblings.

Edited by Lundy

• 3 weeks later...

If I remember correctly originally Slynt was hung from the top of the wall by 100 ft. of Rope. Someone mentioned after the reading at Technicon that would rip off Slynt's head. As such the change makes sense.

That was actually the first thing that jumped out at me on reading about the execution scene. Too long a rope and the head flies off (too short a rope and the victim strangles to death).

Personally, I'd prefer the hanging scene over the proposed beheading scene, as long as the rope is a bit shorter.

why does it say on amazon that DwD will be released on September 29, 2011.? here it is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dance-Dragons-Book-Song-Fire/dp/0002247399/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295522128&sr=8-1

Im sorry I know this probably isnt the right place to ask this question, but i didnt know where to put it

Amazon knows little more than you or I, really. It's a wild stab in the dark, and they've been making them since AFFC came out.

This thread gives more or less all the info us mere mortals can get on ADWD and its progress.

• 2 weeks later...

He'll announce the publication soon. He knows we want the book, I'm sure he wants the book completed and published, and HBO is launching a series on the saga. I'm no marketing pro, but it sure sounds like a good idea to launch the fifth book in the series around the time, say, the first season ends or shortly thereafter? Then make sure to tune into the second season, of course. ;)

• 3 months later...

In the final version Jon is going to behead him. He still says take him to the wall and hang him with the pause as if thinking but he changes his mind and kills him himself because thats the way Ned did things. Janos also tries to apologize at the last moment but Jon tells him its too late.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About Jaqen/Pate, at first I thought he might have gone to the Citadel to assassinate Samwell, then thought he couldn't have known that Samwell would be sent there. So, some other agenda.

Maybe the Faceless Men are working for the Others? Or who the Others are working for...and what does that mean for Arya?

• 3 weeks later...