Dany's Heir

[quote name='valyrian dragonlord' post='1314837' date='Apr 15 2008, 09.25']he wasn't ordered to rape elia either, huh[/quote]

...which supports my point that what Dany orders won't necessarily work out when it comes to pillaging the 300 year old capitol and residing place of the royalty who these people [i]obviously[/i] aren't too pleased with.

• 3 years later...

From aGoT (p759):

"When will he {Drogo} be as he was?" Dany demanded.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

You can read this at least 3 ways.

1. Dany will never bear a living child because the other conditions can't be fulfilled.
  2. Unlikely as it is, the other conditions will be fulfilled, at which point Dany will have a living child and Drogo will come back.
  3. Dany can have a child at any time because MMD was just saying hurtful stuff, not making an operative prophecy.

So, yes, there may be some flexibility. I tend to favor #3.

I like No. 2. Either way (bet. 2 or 3), Dany will have a child, who will be the true heir.

There is a possibility that Dany might have a child; we have yet to see most prophecies come true; though I doubt that Drogo will magically rise from the dead. I'm not holding my breath for Dany to carry and deliver a living child, though.

As far as who Dany's heirs might be if she takes the Iron Throne and lives out her life, or at least 10-20 years on it...I think she would kill Tommen and Myrcella before she ever let them sit on what she views as the Targaryen throne. If she believes that they are Baratheons, then they are the children of Robert, who led the rebellion against her father and personally killed Dany's brother Rhaegar. If Dany believes that Tommen and Myrcella are the children of Jaime and Cersei, then they are the children of the man who murdered Dany's father; and she certainly won't reward either of the Kingslayer's spawn with inheritance rights to the Iron Throne.

I also doubt that Dany will order the killing of Tommen and Myrcella if she does retake King's Landing/Westeros within the next year or two. Tommen would still be 12 years old or less, Myrcella even younger; and Dany does not willingly kill children. What would probably happen is that Dany will take the kids into protective custody; and one or more of her own advisors/lieutenants will make the decision to kill them for her benefit and have it done.

If Myrcella is married to Trystane, she may avoid getting killed by the Targaryen re-invasion; since the Dornes are Targ loyalists and Trystane's aunt was Elia, marriage-kin to Dany.

Who will Dany's heir be if she has no living children? If she's got a good grip on the Iron Throne, she can designate whoever she wants, regardless of lack of Targaryen blood, or find someone who has some. We're all waiting to learn Jon Snow's true paternity, anyway. If he leaves the Night's Watch or the Night's Watch ceases to exist as a military entity, then he may yet marry and sire children of his own...

There is a possibility that Dany might have a child; we have yet to see most prophecies come true; though I doubt that Drogo will magically rise from the dead. I'm not holding my breath for Dany to carry and deliver a living child, though.

As far as who Dany's heirs might be if she takes the Iron Throne and lives out her life, or at least 10-20 years on it...I think she would kill Tommen and Myrcella before she ever let them sit on what she views as the Targaryen throne. If she believes that they are Baratheons, then they are the children of Robert, who led the rebellion against her father and personally killed Dany's brother Rhaegar. If Dany believes that Tommen and Myrcella are the children of Jaime and Cersei, then they are the children of the man who murdered Dany's father; and she certainly won't reward either of the Kingslayer's spawn with inheritance rights to the Iron Throne.

I also doubt that Dany will order the killing of Tommen and Myrcella if she does retake King's Landing/Westeros within the next year or two. Tommen would still be 12 years old or less, Myrcella even younger; and Dany does not willingly kill children. What would probably happen is that Dany will take the kids into protective custody; and one or more of her own advisors/lieutenants will make the decision to kill them for her benefit and have it done.

If Myrcella is married to Trystane, she may avoid getting killed by the Targaryen re-invasion; since the Dornes are Targ loyalists and Trystane's aunt was Elia, marriage-kin to Dany.

Who will Dany's heir be if she has no living children? If she's got a good grip on the Iron Throne, she can designate whoever she wants, regardless of lack of Targaryen blood, or find someone who has some. We're all waiting to learn Jon Snow's true paternity, anyway. If he leaves the Night's Watch or the Night's Watch ceases to exist as a military entity, then he may yet marry and sire children of his own...

I think the likelihood of Daenerys leaving Myrcella or Tommen the Iron throne is about as likely as Henry VIII leaving the crown to Margaret Pole's children.

I think the likelihood of Daenerys leaving Myrcella or Tommen the Iron throne is about as likely as Henry VIII leaving the crown to Margaret Pole's children.

Agree.

Maybe I'm misreading the comments, but we seem to be conflating trueborns with bastards. There are no trueborn heirs for Dany, only bastards. And if we're going to start legitimizing bastards with Targ blood, then the two closest to Dany are her (possibly) half-brother Tyrian and (possibly) nephew Jon Snow.

ADWD spoiler!

Unless, of course, Griff/Aegon is the real thing and survives leading the attack on Storm's End. In which case, his claim trumps Dany's anyway.

Archived