The Darkness that Comes Before

shady12

[quote name='Shryke' post='1453027' date='Jul 23 2008, 21.11']I think knowing alot about the First Crusade will only damage your ability to enjoy the series honestly.[/quote]

It didn't really damage my enjoyment of the series, but I definitely knew what was coming. So in that respect the surprise was lessened somewhat. Still, I thought it was a great read.

Yeah, I think it was quite a good read, but ... I can't pin down why. The battles were not truly exciting, but well-written certainly. The characters were mostly fine, but not especially remarkable.

Kellhus I could, really, give two figs about -- he remains a sentient MacGuffin, little more. I suppose the main thing is not so much Kellhus, but his impact on others, especially the aforementioned Akka and Esmenet. He's a plot device more than anything right now. Which I suppose is fine, but it's hard to fawn over a plot device, especially a presently-unstoppable plot device who can do impossible things without batting an eyelash.

Hmm, will have to ruminate a bit more on why I'm enjoying it

[quote name='Ran' post='1453101' date='Jul 23 2008, 15.57']Yeah, I think it was quite a good read, but ... I can't pin down why. The battles were not truly exciting, but well-written certainly. The characters were mostly fine, but not especially remarkable.

Kellhus I could, really, give two figs about -- he remains a sentient MacGuffin, little more. I suppose the main thing is not so much Kellhus, but his impact on others, especially the aforementioned Akka and Esmenet. He's a plot device more than anything right now. Which I suppose is fine, but it's hard to fawn over a plot device, especially a presently-unstoppable plot device who can do impossible things without batting an eyelash.

Hmm, will have to ruminate a bit more on why I'm enjoying it[/quote]

Kellhus is far more then a plot device. It's just, alot of the structure of the book depends on us not knowing what exactly he's up to.

I mean, ask yourself, what does Kellhus WANT?

[quote name='Shryke' post='1453124' date='Jul 23 2008, 16.10']Kellhus is far more then a plot device. It's just, alot of the structure of the book depends on us not knowing what exactly he's up to.

I mean, ask yourself, what does Kellhus WANT?[/quote]

No, he really isn't, as Ran says he is just a MacGuffin. I'd say he's slightly more interesting from a perspective of 'what would a Robot be like in a fantasy setting' but nothing more than that.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1453236' date='Jul 23 2008, 15.57']No, he really isn't, as Ran says he is just a MacGuffin. I'd say he's slightly more interesting from a perspective of 'what would a Robot be like in a fantasy setting' but nothing more than that.[/quote]
:rolleyes:

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1453250' date='Jul 23 2008, 16.05']I think it is in TTT, where Kellhus comes more into his own as a character who harbors his own doubts.[/quote]

Well, it's in TTT that we get a really good look inside his head for the first time since like the start of TWP.

True, but I didn't want to say much about it, since Ran hasn't yet had the chance to read those scenes...and speaking of one of them, did you notice the parallel with NP?

Ha! :P I suspect he had a free day and devoted himself to reading the book; many do that, ya know :P As for Long Sun, don't expect it to be anything like New Sun in style or plot. Very, very different story, one that is more subtle in some aspects.

I'm on vacation since last week, with relatively limited computer time ... so yeah, I've got a bunch of free days. ;) I can read a book a day if I'm not stuck doing a bunch of other things.

Archived