I will be so PISSED!

micswitch

[quote name='Ent Heureux' post='1318828' date='Apr 18 2008, 04.08']If GRRM does with Tyrion what I think he will, we are going to be a lot more angry than if he were just killed.

I assume that Tyrion will [i]become[/i] the twisted little monkey demon that everybody already takes him for. Dany will reject him, and Tyrion will become what his father was: a Machievellan monster without any morals. He will become one of the main antagonists, we will [i]hate[/i] Tyrion, and we will hate GRRM for it. If the author manages to pull that project off it'll be his greatest achievement: an evil overlord [i]we understand[/i]. GRRM will succeed where Lucas failed, because his Tyrion will be a believable monster, which Anakin Skywalker never was.[/quote]

Oh, dear, Happy Ent - that sounds so horribly plausible. I'd assumed Tyrion was heading into darkness, but I didn't follow the thought through to [i]that [/i]end. I had instead hoped for his ultimate redemption. (Denial can be a lovely place)

I have fully absorbed and accepted that no one is safe, and that the quality of the ending will be bittersweet. I won't be pissed at anything GRRM does (unless it is lame, though I doubt I'll find any of GRRM's choices to be lame), but I do expect to be crying and rending my clothes a lot over these last books. Sort of reading with my hands over my eyes, if you know what I mean.

At this point I don't care if they all die if thats what it takes to have some resolution to the story. I just wanr answers to those mysteries around since AGOT: COTF, the Last Hero, Jon's parents, AA/PTWP.

[quote name='Ent Heureux' post='1318828' date='Apr 18 2008, 03.08']If GRRM does with Tyrion what I think he will, we are going to be a lot more angry than if he were just killed.

I assume that Tyrion will [i]become[/i] the twisted little monkey demon that everybody already takes him for. Dany will reject him, and Tyrion will become what his father was: a Machievellan monster without any morals. He will become one of the main antagonists, we will [i]hate[/i] Tyrion, and we will hate GRRM for it. If the author manages to pull that project off it'll be his greatest achievement: an evil overlord [i]we understand[/i]. GRRM will succeed where Lucas failed, because his Tyrion will be a believable monster, which Anakin Skywalker never was.[/quote]
I do think that Tyrion, as Dany's commander, will use the Dragon's magical fire to melt the magical wall of ice. He'll do that in order to open a second front for the Northeners to have to fight. He'll have no idea what will come behind the wildings because he has already said he does not believe in magical things. (Other than Dragons because he's seen their bones)
I wonder though: If Dany invades Westeros with an army of pillaging slave taking Dothraki, and pillaging slave taking Iron-born, who's going to be the evil overlord then? Who are we going to root for? You know its coming, you know how GRRM rolls.

[quote name='Viper' post='1328130' date='Apr 24 2008, 11.03']Sansa's death would break my already exhausted heart.[/quote]

I seriously doubt that Sansa will die anytime soon; she's in a much safer situation, physically, than most of the other POV characters.

I'll be very pissed if Asha, Euron or Theon dies. Euron in particular seems like a fascinating character who could use a lot more screen time; I'm particularly curious to see Dany face an adversary worthy of her. (He's my best bet for the "mount to dread".) I loathed Theon, but I imagine that after a stint in Ramsay's dungeon he'll have a very different outlook on life and might even be capable of redeeming himself; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Asha will bust him out. I really hope he hasn't been entirely flayed.

[quote name='Olenna' post='1328825' date='Apr 24 2008, 19.17']I seriously doubt that Sansa will die anytime soon; she's in a much safer situation, physically, than most of the other POV characters.

I'll be very pissed if Asha, Euron or Theon dies. Euron in particular seems like a fascinating character who could use a lot more screen time; I'm particularly curious to see Dany face an adversary worthy of her. (He's my best bet for the "mount to dread".) I loathed Theon, but I imagine that after a stint in Ramsay's dungeon he'll have a very different outlook on life and might even be capable of redeeming himself; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Asha will bust him out. I really hope he hasn't been entirely flayed.[/quote]
Didn't Theon (presumably) burn to death at Winterfell? Or did I really miss something major..... :leaving:

[quote name='Maid of Tarth' post='1328878' date='Apr 25 2008, 00.06']Didn't Theon (presumably) burn to death at Winterfell? Or did I really miss something major..... :leaving:[/quote]

Theon's fate is unknown. He may be dead, but Ramsay claims to be holding him prisoner at the Dreadfort and sent what purports to be the flayed skin of one of his fingers to Roose Bolton, who showed it to Catelyn just before the Red Wedding.

[quote name='Maid of Tarth' post='1328878' date='Apr 24 2008, 21.06']Didn't Theon (presumably) burn to death at Winterfell? Or did I really miss something major..... :leaving:[/quote]

In AFFC, there are reports that he was being held by the Boltons-- the flayed men. There is a part where a small piece of flayed flesh is sent as proof if i remember correctly. Besides with GRRM, if you don't actually SEE the body-- the characters come back and have a role to play.

[quote name='krypto' post='1328895' date='Apr 24 2008, 20.23']In AFFC, there are reports that he was being held by the Boltons-- the flayed men. There is a part where a small piece of flayed flesh is sent as proof if i remember correctly. Besides with GRRM, if you don't actually SEE the body-- the characters come back and have a role to play.[/quote]
:lol: Gotcha.....I was worried there for a moment that I had fallen asleep during a chapter (as if that could happen) and missed some major revelation..... :stunned:

I will be devastated if Davos truly does die in A Dance with Dragons. He has already had two very close encounters with death - first when he was marooned after the Battle of Blackwater and second when he released Edric Storm. To lose him now would be tough.

I'd be most disappointed if Brienne died, especially at Catelyn's hand.

Despite being the most trustworthy character in the books, she's constantly mistrusted and falsely accused (i.e. Loras, UnCat), or she's just plain insulted for no reason (i.e. Jaime, Brave Companions, Tarly, Renly's camp). Yet she remains steadfast in her desire to do good and is the most loyal friend imaginable for those smart enough to show her kindness. I think she's the most honest, selfless character in the books, and it would be a shame if she dies without finding some joy or perhaps even acceptance.

[quote name='Paxter' post='1329117' date='Apr 25 2008, 06.19']I will be devastated if Davos truly does die in A Dance with Dragons. He has already had two very close encounters with death - first when he was marooned after the Battle of Blackwater and second when he released Edric Storm. To lose him now would be tough.[/quote]

I don't remember from aFFC, but doesn't Cersei hear that Davos has been killed?
what was that all about?

I can't see a POV character being killed behind the scenes, so i think most people just assume it's not true.
But I totally missed that whole plot line on my first read, and haven't gotten to that book yet on my second read.

[quote name='the winged shadow' post='1318952' date='Apr 18 2008, 08.22']I hope Darkstar doesnt die. If he dies we won't get anymore "cool" lines and the board won't have anything to talk about and die down and..yeah.[/quote]
Heh, personnaly i hope he dies in some embarassing fasion, like being killed by a farmer and his son for trespassing and stealing food. Proving Darkstar was indeed a joke by GRRM.

[quote name='DocBean' post='1329308' date='Apr 25 2008, 09.43']I don't remember from aFFC, but doesn't Cersei hear that Davos has been killed?
what was that all about?

I can't see a POV character being killed behind the scenes, so i think most people just assume it's not true.
But I totally missed that whole plot line on my first read, and haven't gotten to that book yet on my second read.[/quote]

Davos was sent by Stannis to treat with the Manderlys and to try and recruit them to his cause. The Manderlys reported to the throne that they had taken him captive, and Cersei ordered them to kill him in exchange for the release of one of their kin that was held captive (I forget which). The Manderlys sent a head and a hand that might have looked like Davos' to King's Landing to prove their deed. That's approximately what happened anyway :)

The argument for why this could be a viable behind the scenes death comes from the way Martin has opted to write books 4 and 5. We'll have Davos' point of view in book 5, but if things had gone as originally planned with the writing, Davos' point of view would have been in AFFC, so we would have seen his death before it was reported to Cersei. In that sense, it doesn't really qualify as a typical behind the scenes death, it could just be a result of Martin's planning gone awry, but it works well anyway to build suspense about Davos for the next book.

Personally, I don't think the Manderlys would have killed Davos. Catelyn and Robb always seemed to trust them and they generally seemed to be of a gentle nature. Killing a messenger, especially one as genuine as Davos, doesn't seem to be in line with their personalities. No one in King's Landing would have really known Davos' face, and it would not have been hard to find a dead man and cut off part of his hand, so it could easily have been faked. I think Davos most likely agreed to help them fake it in exchange for some allegiance, but there could always be unexpected twists thrown in the mix that we'll see when we get the next book.

[quote name='lordofthesox' post='1329438' date='Apr 25 2008, 12.30']No one in King's Landing would have really known Davos' face, and it would not have been hard to find a dead man and cut off part of his hand, so it could easily have been faked. I think Davos most likely agreed to help them fake it in exchange for some allegiance, but there could always be unexpected twists thrown in the mix that we'll see when we get the next book.[/quote]

Dont forget some of Stannis' men bent the knee to Joffrey(after the battle of the Blackwater) and remained in KL so they would be able to identify Davos easily enough-unless the head was so decomposed that it would be beyond recognition. I also dont see Davos pledging allegiance to anyone-he has shown time and time again that he is Stannis' man whether his life was on the line or not. I think he would be the last person we could expect to betray him.

[quote name='lordofthesox' post='1329300' date='Apr 25 2008, 07.39']I'd be most disappointed if Brienne died, especially at Catelyn's hand.

Despite being the most trustworthy character in the books, she's constantly mistrusted and falsely accused (i.e. Loras, UnCat), or she's just plain insulted for no reason (i.e. Jaime, Brave Companions, Tarly, Renly's camp). Yet she remains steadfast in her desire to do good and is the most loyal friend imaginable for those smart enough to show her kindness. I think she's the most honest, selfless character in the books, and it would be a shame if she dies without finding some joy or perhaps even acceptance.[/quote] :agree: Agreement on every point. I'd be pretty disappointed if she died, before the last book anyway. I want her and Arya to meet before either of them dies (if either does). :D

Archived