[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] "New" POV 1 - Spoilers for ADwD

Ran

I like this. It would also make Aeron's POV more relevant, and it is very poetic in a way. I think George has a lot in mind for Theon, not just in terms of plot, but thematically aswell. Theon's an excellent character.

I agree. He's got a weak will, but this experience might have steeled him a bit. I realize he's scared poopless at this point, but I would assume that, if given the chance to make a move, he'll take it. I also assume Bolton is holding him because he can then take not only the North, but potentially the Iron Islands as well - otherwise, Theon would be dead. The politics of the North right now are very intriguing to me.

I agree. He's got a weak will, but this experience might have steeled him a bit. I realize he's scared poopless at this point, but I would assume that, if given the chance to make a move, he'll take it. I also assume Bolton is holding him because he can then take not only the North, but potentially the Iron Islands as well - otherwise, Theon would be dead. The politics of the North right now are very intriguing to me.

I think it would be very unrealistic to have Theon bounce back from that kind of torture. I don't know anything about it, but I imagine he's not going to get over it in time to "make a move" for any throne.

This experience wont steel him, it broke him and I suspect his storyline will be a rather sad affair, long after Ramsay has been dealt with

This experience wont steel him, it broke him...

I agree. Overcoming that kind of trauma would require a reserve of inner strength, and we've never seen that in Theon. Compare him with somebody like Jaime, whose strength of will is acknowledged even by his enemies, which enabled him to bounce back from (admittedly less terrible) hardships. I've no doubt that Theon still has things that he needs to do for the story, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't a near-wreck from here on out.

I suppose we'll see, though I can't argue any other evidence in the series as to now. Theon has always had a weak will. He's also kind of a scumbag, so I'm expecting him to kill Ramsay at an opportune moment. This being GRRM, however, Sam Tarly will probably kill Ramsay unknowingly. Hah.

I'm a bit of a sucker for clichés and would love to see Reek meet his end in a sudden surge of valour, saving someone else from Ramsay. Theon's a massive pillock but maybe becoming the victim will give him some sense of empathy. It would be a bit rubbish if GRRM has put him at Ramsay's right hand just so there's a POV documenting the Boltons, and he does nothing to advance the plot there.

ETA: Well, unless of course Ramsay isn't nipped in the bud relatively soon and comes out on top at the end of this series... Anyone? No? No.

Edited by Été

ETA: Well, unless of course Ramsay isn't nipped in the bud relatively soon and comes out on top at the end of this series... Anyone? No? No.

I thought that if Ramsay meets Jon and tries his hand at being charming, then they might get along pretty well, both being northern bastards who've done well for themselves.

Hell, they might even be golf buddies by the end

• 3 weeks later...

After more reading and hints of this and that on other threads..,,

Asha is not done in her bid for the Seastone Chair. She left the Kings Moot for this reason. She has to aquire Theon to lay claim to the chair. The Dampair will support this to get rid of Euron.

Therefore, Theon must be released from captivity and out in the open so Asha can rescue him.

Roose Bolton knows that Arya/Jeyne is not Arya Stark. Jamie told Brienne "they" didn't care.

But Ramsay might. He is his father's son. While Roose is cunning and intelligent, so is Ramsay. He has Theon, the strutting prince of a few books ago, eating rats and calling himself Reek. Ramsay may think something is hinky in all this. Why does he get the heiress of Winterfell? It may trouble him that his father married a mere Frey, when he could have had "Arya." He might want proof the bride is Arya.

Perhaps Fat Walda will "die" in childbirth and Ramsay will have a fatal hunting accident. Or maybe there will be a Pink Wedding.

Or I could be completely full of hops.

Asha is not done in her bid for the Seastone Chair. She left the Kings Moot for this reason. She has to aquire Theon to lay claim to the chair. The Dampair will support this to get rid of Euron.

Therefore, Theon must be released from captivity and out in the open so Asha can rescue him.

Roose Bolton knows that Arya/Jeyne is not Arya Stark. Jamie told Brienne "they" didn't care.

But Ramsay might. He is his father's son. While Roose is cunning and intelligent, so is Ramsay. He has Theon, the strutting prince of a few books ago, eating rats and calling himself Reek. Ramsay may think something is hinky in all this. Why does he get the heiress of Winterfell? It may trouble him that his father married a mere Frey, when he could have had "Arya." He might want proof the bride is Arya.

Perhaps Fat Walda will "die" in childbirth and Ramsay will have a fatal hunting accident. Or maybe there will be a Pink Wedding.

Ramsay gets the heiress of Winterfell because he now owns Winterfell. Roose rules as Lord Paramount from the Dreadfort.

And phrases like "must...so Asha can rescue him" make me hope this is exactly what doesnt happen, as characters need to pick up idiot balls, or conveniently hangout in the right places.

A better solution would be Stannis picking up Theon after he's killed the Boltons and allied with the Ironborn under Asha

Edited by Chalky

After more reading and hints of this and that on other threads..,,

Well, in the sample chapter, Ramsay tells Theon he wants him there when he takes hold of fake Arya. I assume he wants this because he needs someone to confirm her identity. Unclear at this point.

I still think Theon has it in him to stab Ramsay in the back, but we'll see. Rereading the sample, there's still a little dickhead Theon in there.