Cricket 3

IheartTesla

Well it has come down to this. The New World, India and the US in the form of Stanford throwing about millions of dollars to seduce people to their brand of Insta-cricket. The Old World trying hard to maintain the purity of Test cricket, and feeling a bit left out after having invented the game including even the T20 version.

The initial games of the IPL seem to have been a success, but 58 games in 44 days is indeed a glut of cricket, even if it is condensed to 3 hours. Plus, as many commentators have pointed out, the lack of "tribalism" may prove to be an issue in the long run. Hard to cheer for city-based franchises with foreign players. I believe even the football version of the English Premier League took years for such loyalties to take root.

Anyway, death of cricket as we know it or beginning of a new era? Discuss.

I don't think it's quite the death of cricket. As long as the IPL sticks only to Twenty20 cricket, it can coexist with the current world order. We will probably see a decline in popularity of ODI cricket, but it's highly unlikely that Test matches will be ruined by something like the IPL because it's so vastly different. International tours have rarely bothered with Twenty20 cricket except for the odd token match. There isn't much overlap and so no one is stepping on anyone else's toes, and as long as the IPL stays solely with Twenty20, it can peacefully coexist, because I can see the ICC making concessions in future years and scheduling tours around it.

Now, if the IPL were to venture into the longer formats of the game that might be more of a worry. But as it is, Test matches have no competition, and people who want to watch 'real' cricket will still be watching international games.

As far as the conventional thinking goes that Twenty20 will erode the popularity of Test cricket, I don't think that'll be the case. The same cry went out when one-day cricket was first introduced, but I don't think that saw a decline in Test match popularity. The new people that you attract with the Twenty20 game won't be people 'stolen' from the Test match crowd. They'll either be people new to the game, or they'll be the Test match crowd who will watch both Tests and Twenty20s (like me). It just doesn't seem logical that someone who is committed enough to watch a five-day Test would give it up solely to Twenty20s. I'm guessing the vast majority of people who watch Test matches are hardcore cricket fans who wouldn't ditch it for a quick fix like Twenty20 - they'd just watch both.

If the ICC bows to the scheduling, then the only problem I can see with the relationship between the IPL and international cricket is the player salaries. International boards are going to have to pay their players more money. But so long as the IPL doesn't push the envelope - ie, start a competition in the longer formats of the game, or require players to sign exclusive contracts requiring them to play IPL matches ahead of international fixtures (which would deprive them of big stars, although some lesser-knowns would bite) - I think it'll all be okay.

Speaking of the IPL, I watched my second match today...the one between Ganguly's and Laxman's team (I can never get the team names straight). Played on a shocker of a pitch...reminded me of my good old days playing club cricket. Balls that turned three feet, grubbers that bounced three times before it got to the 'keeper, then balls off the same length that spat up into the ribcage. And with every delivery, dust from the pitch would explode into the air.

When he was out in the middle, Ganguly was making no secret that he hated the pitch. The curator at the stadium in Kolkata had better watch out...given Ganguly's influence there, he might get a bit of a talking to. I was surprised that Ganguly didn't bowl himself, actually. He did bowl the spinners for (I think) eight overs, but he went with fast bowlers for the others. A dibbly-dobbly medium pacer like him would have found some nice spots on that pitch, and in the second innings when Styris bowled his first couple of overs there was definitely something there for him.

I'm kind of coming around to Twenty20. Watching the IPL, it feels like a form of brainwashing. Loud music, bright lights, cheerleaders, roaring crowd, it sort of draws you in.

Like Jeor, I don't think Twenty20 will threaten Test cricket. I'd be happy to see more if it means less one-dayers though. The tri series is just too long, and it seems almost obligatory now to follow each test series with a seven match ODI series.

Twenty20s will threaten ODIs, but I don't think too many people will moan about that. Like Brady, I also think the one-day series is too long, and despite the advent of the Powerplays, the format is getting a bit tired. One-day cricket is suffering because it doesn't do the technical game and intricate tactics as well as Test cricket, and it doesn't do the high octane, sharp run chases as well as Twenty20s. It's become an in-betweener that has been robbed of its main selling points (short game, exciting pressured run chases) by Twenty20s. Test cricket is safe because those were never its marketing strengths.

The IPL has garnered great media coverage this past week. I've been scrutinising the cheerleading performances very carefully. One of my sub-continent friends voiced his disappointment at the absence of sub-continent representation on the cheerleading squads, to which I suggested he shut up and watch the [url="http://photos.cricket.com/photo/7ca6a12c14928ae859f6df25165993fc"]exotic women from other cultures[/url] do their thing because we'll get a legitimate ballot result in Zimbabwe before that's likely to happen. The jury is still out in my mind as to the place cheerleaders have in cricket but it seems appropriate for this form of the game with all the glitz and fireworks on and off the field.

But the ICL also started it's World Series last week & I can't find any (Televised) footage at all. The BCCI has some titanium strings it would appear.

The Redskins cheerleaders also had a dual purpose which was to scout Indian talent to create their own cheerleading team, so your friend might get his wish real soon. Indians tend to be a little more conservative, so my guess is they will dress a little less...provocatively though.

It will be fascinating to see how all this pans out. I have been reading everyone's opinions with interest, but its too early to see the long term effects of the IPL.

[quote name='cyrano' post='1322436' date='Apr 21 2008, 13.51']It will be fascinating to see how all this pans out. I have been reading everyone's opinions with interest, but its too early to see the long term effects of the IPL.[/quote]

It will be interesting to see how much the IPL format is copied in other regions. I think it is inevitable that England will make some effort to move to a more IPL-like format, although probably keeping the existing counties rather than annoying everyone by creating new franchises. I guess it's possible there might also be an Australian league as well (after all, many of the leading IPL players seem to be Aussies), possibly also incorporating New Zealand teams as well, perhaps even the South Africans.

Apparently Harbhajan has [url="http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ipl/content/current/story/347604.html"]slapped[/url] Sreesanth. What a tool. I've lost all sympathy for him, not that I had much to begin with. Hope they throw the book at this loose cannon.

[quote]After the match a smiling Sreesanth walked up to Harbhajan - the captain of the losing Mumbai Indians - and said "Hard luck". "That was when Harbhajan lost his cool and hit Sreesanth under the eye," said sources close to the fast bowler.[/quote]

Well, it's not like Harbhajan wasn't provoked :rolleyes:

The Turbanator has been banned for 11 games and fined 100 % of his match fees. I think that means he wont get paid for his games, which amounts to a hefty sum of money. I forget how much he auctioned for, but I do believe they are paid on a pro-rated basis so it would be quite a big chunk of it.

[quote name='cyrano' post='1331983' date='Apr 29 2008, 00.09']The Turbanator has been banned for 11 games and fined 100 % of his match fees. I think that means he wont get paid for his games, which amounts to a hefty sum of money. I forget how much he auctioned for, but I do believe they are paid on a pro-rated basis so it would be quite a big chunk of it.[/quote]

Yeah, they do get paid on a pro-rata basis, so that'll hurt him quite a bit. Mumbai look to be in a bit of trouble. With Tendulkar still yet to take part and Harbhajan now banned, those are their two biggest stars out, and that's quite a dent, even (or maybe especially) considering Mumbai are meant to be the biggest team in the IPL.

Will 20Twenty cricket eventually replace test cricket?

No. You only have to look at the interest that test cricket has generated during recent Ashes and Australia vs. India series to realise that the longer form of the game is alive and well. The recent India vs. South Africa series was also fantastic (shame it wasn't a longer series though - 3 or 4 test matches just isn't enough IMO).

Will 20Twenty cricket eventually replace ODIs?

I hope not but the likelihood is that it will. I like ODI cricket - it's a more even battle between bat and ball than 20Twenty. However, I think that players will just burn-out if they are expected to play test cricket, ODIs and 20Twenty at the same time. The other problem is that, unlike test cricket, ODI cricket has become predictable and spectators are getting bored with it. Also, the farce that was the last World Cup of cricket hasn't helped.

Are the Mumbai Indians going to get slaughtered in their remaining matches?

Yes. Although they have a chance of a win when they play Bangalore.

I agree that 2020 is more of a threat to ODIs than to test cricket. Less overs means more chance of two reasonably matched teams producing a tight result I guess than over an extended 50 over each game. Also it's certainly more spectator friendly than ODIs in terms of the required time commitment (for example, an entire game can be played out in a single evening after work).

Kind of funny the other day when I was reading an article from someone lamenting the possible demise of ODIs and the skill set unique to that format! Usually it's only the test snobs that carry on like that...

Warnie is a legend. That is all. And McGrath aint doing so bad himself.

I think Warne would have been a great captain, but Australia did great with Ponting and Waugh at the helm. Although I think he would have done better with limited resources than those two, as is evident from his helmsmanship of the Rajasthan Royals.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Brady' post='1361187' date='May 20 2008, 01.18']Apparently Shane Warne is considering a [url="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/bad-news-poms-warne-considers-ashes-return-831061.html"]comeback[/url] for the next Ashes series.[/quote]

Although it would have the disadvantage of making an Australian victory more likely, it would still be great news if he did come back - Warne will always make a match entertaining. On the England side, I'm starting to wonder if we might actual see a return for Simon Jones to the Test team - apparently he's back taking wickets for his county, although it'll probably be a while until he's proved his fitness sufficiently to be recalled. It would be good to see him in the Ashes next year, a lot of people contributed to the 2005 victory but Jones' bowling could be argued to be about the most significant contribution.

The Shane Warne comeback story is clearly a case of the media blowing a few throwaway remarks way out of proportion. IMO it's simply a case of Warnie saying to MacGill 'you may be in the team but I am still way better than you'. He won't play in the next Ashes series.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that Warnie is a one-in-a-billion player. But his time as a test player is over. Cricket Australia know that it's time to start afresh and build for the future (hence why Casson has been sent to the Windies).

With respect to Simon Jones: it would be great to see him playing again for England, I loved watching him reverse-swing the ball in 2005. The ball that bowled Michael Clarke when he was shouldering-arms lives long in the memory.

Come back, Warnie, the telecoms, confectionary and entertainment sectors of the economy are badly in need of a boost.

I, too, hope that Jones comes back. A bowling attack of Flintoff, Jones, Broad, Sidebottom and Panesar looks pretty impressive to me. On the other hand, if we no longer feel that Flintoff can cut it as a No 6, a batting line-up that finishes with Flintoff at 7, Ambrose, Broad, Sidebottom and Jones at 10 is very reassuring.

Archived