Frak me! It's another Battlestar Galactica thread!

Werthead

Guest Raidne
On D'anna's [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Battlestar_Galactica_3x10_The_Passage_-_Final_Five.jpg"]drawing[/url] of the Final Five, I'd like to mention in all seriousness this time that I think the second stick figure from the right is Dualla, due to its resemblance to the aliens from Close Encounters and her resemblance to the same.

What's on the first one's head there? Is that supposed to be hair? Could it possibly be Tigh with some kind of halo? I mean, their apparitions [i]did[/i] all have glowing halo-y thingies when she saw them, right?

ETA: I suppose it could also be Seelix. It would make sense to have one more of the 5 among the crew on the Demetrius.

I think anybody who thinks that they see a particular character in that picture is projecting their own thoughts onto it. I mean, even knowing who four out of the five are there is no resemblance in my mind between any of them and any character we know. I think it's just a complete abstraction and I don't see how you could glean a clue from it.

But then again, what do I know? I didn't even notice Orion in the background of that one shot from last week's episode, so hey.

Guest Raidne
Yeah, I was still mostly kidding. Probably shouldn't have said "in all seriousness..."

We already know they're all Gwyneth Paltrow anyway.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1323266' date='Apr 21 2008, 15.43']I think anybody who thinks that they see a particular character in that picture is projecting their own thoughts onto it.[/quote]

Are you trying to say that I'm seeing Zeus the Thunder God only because that's what I believe? Surely others see it too.

In response to one the final posts (of EHK) in the thread that just got closed:
[quote]The questions surrounding the suicide bombing resistance worked within the context of the show, since even if the attacks were necessary, you're still further depopulating an almost dead species. But some of the other shit? I have a little trouble with people clamoring for freedom and justice when they're on the run for their lives and the very existence of their species.[/quote]
I generally agree with EHK that the situation is so dire that people would be following the military leader anyway, and attempts to make it relevant to the current political climate in the US are misplaced because the situation is nothing like the current situation in the US. Those people have gone, and are still going, through hell and their entire world has been destroyed (especially for the civilians). At least as long as it isn't a type like Cain who has her own kind shot for no reason, but a relative softie like Adama? He would be adored, not villified. He's their protector, of a very real enemy.

I disagree on the suicide bombing being necessary, though. This was, in my opinion, another misplaced attempt to make BSG relevant to what is happening in the real world (I'm glad GRRM doesn't do the same thing in his books, despite his known political stances - it just doesn't fit his world). Especially when Tigh started talking about bombing [i]market places[/i], of all targets. This is such a shoot out to Iraq that it isn't funny, because it makes zero sense for Tigh to bomb markets. Are we supposed to believe that skinjobs and chromejobs are going shopping en masse at the markets? It's obvious that those markets are there for the human population, so bombing those is actually a crime against the colonies, worse than what the New Caprica police was doing (they're both killing humans, doing the Cylons' work for them).

For that matter, the more aggressive actions of the resistance were rather ill-thought out. What exactly did they hope to achieve by making the skinjobs angry? That would revert to their genocidal ways as soon as possible? It made more sense to quietly prepare for a rescue mission by Adama, while trying to get the skinjobs the idea that they were going to accept the occupation (then take them by surprise when Adama is ready). Or, if they absolutely wanted to do something, trying to attack the holding facility would at least have made some sense. Bombing markets? Insanity, bloodlust, killing of their own people.

By Tigh's reasoning, if he would have known about the nuke that #3 and co had hidden, he would probably have attempted to detonate it. Would have killed all the humans on New Caprica, but at least he would have gotten a few 100s skinjobs to download, destroyed a number of centurions and made it really clear the occupation wasn't going to work. Of course, humanity would be all but extinct then.

The Civilians ARE generally ok with what's going on. You don't see crazy amounts of rioting and protests do you? But there's always gonna be voices of dissent. Like Lee.

Wouter,

[quote name='Wouter' post='1323326' date='Apr 21 2008, 17.14']In response to one the final posts (of EHK) in the thread that just got closed:

I generally agree with EHK that the situation is so dire that people would be following the military leader anyway, and attempts to make it relevant to the current political climate in the US are misplaced because the situation is nothing like the current situation in the US. Those people have gone, and are still going, through hell and their entire world has been destroyed (especially for the civilians). At least as long as it isn't a type like Cain who has her own kind shot for no reason, but a relative softie like Adama? He would be adored, not villified. He's their protector, of a very real enemy.

I disagree on the suicide bombing being necessary, though. This was, in my opinion, another misplaced attempt to make BSG relevant to what is happening in the real world (I'm glad GRRM doesn't do the same thing in his books, despite his known political stances - it just doesn't fit his world). Especially when Tigh started talking about bombing [i]market places[/i], of all targets. This is such a shoot out to Iraq that it isn't funny, because it makes zero sense for Tigh to bomb markets. Are we supposed to believe that skinjobs and chromejobs are going shopping en masse at the markets? It's obvious that those markets are there for the human population, so bombing those is actually a crime against the colonies, worse than what the New Caprica police was doing (they're both killing humans, doing the Cylons' work for them).

For that matter, the more aggressive actions of the resistance were rather ill-thought out. What exactly did they hope to achieve by making the skinjobs angry? That would revert to their genocidal ways as soon as possible? It made more sense to quietly prepare for a rescue mission by Adama, while trying to get the skinjobs the idea that they were going to accept the occupation (then take them by surprise when Adama is ready). Or, if they absolutely wanted to do something, trying to attack the holding facility would at least have made some sense. Bombing markets? Insanity, bloodlust, killing of their own people.

By Tigh's reasoning, if he would have known about the nuke that #3 and co had hidden, he would probably have attempted to detonate it. Would have killed all the humans on New Caprica, but at least he would have gotten a few 100s skinjobs to download, destroyed a number of centurions and made it really clear the occupation wasn't going to work. Of course, humanity would be all but extinct then.[/quote]

Agreed. I always thought suicide attacks and summary executions (in other episodes) made no sense given the dire straits tiny human population found itself in. Every human life is incredibly valuable and every human death brings the species that much closer to extinction. They barely have a large enough population to avoid inbreeding problems at it is if they do find a safe place to settle or when they find Earth.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1323367' date='Apr 21 2008, 16.48']Wouter,

Agreed. I always thought suicide attacks and summary executions (in other episodes) made no sense given the dire straits tiny human population found itself in. Every human life is incredibly valuable and every human death brings the species that much closer to extinction. They barely have a large enough population to avoid inbreeding problems at it is if they do find a safe place to settle or when they find Earth.[/quote]

Roslin was against them. For the very reason you state. Tigh was more "Win now, continue the species later", which is in character.

[quote name='Relic' post='1323370' date='Apr 21 2008, 17.52']The plot has ...
...since half way thru season two.
i agree.[/quote]
I was very amused that, according to the intro, the Cylons no longer have a plan.

[quote name='Merentha' post='1323499' date='Apr 21 2008, 19.33']I was very amused that, according to the intro, the Cylons no longer have a plan.[/quote]

did they remove that little bit? Not surprised. So what WAS the plan? Did the Cylons have a prophesy that led them to believe they could follow the Galactica to Earth or something?

[quote name='Wouter' post='1323326' date='Apr 21 2008, 16.14']I generally agree with EHK that the situation is so dire that people would be following the military leader anyway, and attempts to make it relevant to the current political climate in the US are misplaced because the situation is nothing like the current situation in the US. Those people have gone, and are still going, through hell and their entire world has been destroyed (especially for the civilians). At least as long as it isn't a type like Cain who has her own kind shot for no reason, but a relative softie like Adama? He would be adored, not villified. He's their protector, of a very real enemy.[/quote]

Really? They want an absolute ruler who can deal out life and death without check? Well, evidently you think that humans from the Twelve Colonies are much more prone to blind obedience than the ones I know. The human race that's familiar to me initially pulls together and even tolerates some oppression during times of disaster, but inevitably swings back to a more moderate view of the balance between rights and necessity.

As to Adama being a softie...you and I know that, and so does the [i]Galactica [/i]crew, but why should the folks on [i]Cloud Nine[/i]? Or [i]Adriatic[/i]? Or [i]Prometheus[/i]? The Adama they know summarily dismisses independent tribunals when they reach a conclusion he doesn't like. He launches military coups against the lawful ruler of their civilization and then institutes martial law. He allows one of his senior officers to go unpunished for the unwarranted deaths of three or four civilians aboard [i]Gideon[/i]. That sure doesn't sound like a "relative softie" to me. It sounds like a man who uses power for his own ends, and not for the good of the people. Why should they adore him?

[quote name='Relic' post='1323562' date='Apr 21 2008, 19.22']did they remove that little bit? Not surprised. So what WAS the plan? Did the Cylons have a prophesy that led them to believe they could follow the Galactica to Earth or something?[/quote]

Their plan had something to do with making Cylon-Human Hybrids. Hence the Farms and the Sharon / Helo relationship. They then realized their plan was frakked up and decided that conquering the humans was funner than exterminating them.

Anyone have that Cylon audio file? The badass music that plays when it talks about the 12 models?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH2jJlicROg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH2jJlicROg[/url]

EDIT: It's for a good cause.. a War3 map that's pretty sweet.

[quote name='Relic' post='1323562' date='Apr 21 2008, 19.22']did they remove that little bit? Not surprised. So what WAS the plan? Did the Cylons have a prophesy that led them to believe they could follow the Galactica to Earth or something?[/quote]

1) Initial Plan: Follow Gods plan for the Cylons and replace humanity. Ergo, destroy the human race and take over their planets.

Addendum: Can't breed on our own. Need humans to help make this happen, since "Be fruitful and multiply" is part of God's plan. Ergo => Farms.

2) Caprica-6 and Boomer convince Cylons that they and the humans can live in peace. This leads to New Caprica. NC goes all to hell, Cylons decide it was a bad idea from the start.

3) Cylons decide they need to figure out who they are and what their real purpose is. Head for Earth to figure that out. Try to wipe out humans along the way.

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1323637' date='Apr 21 2008, 21.02']Their plan had something to do with making Cylon-Human Hybrids.[/quote]

i got the impression that there was mroe to it. There was some mention of the Galactica being allowed to escape on purpose.

[quote name='Relic' post='1323912' date='Apr 21 2008, 22.25']i got the impression that there was mroe to it. There was some mention of the Galactica being allowed to escape on purpose.[/quote]

I've heard this suggested by people on the internet, but nothing in the show itself seems to indicate this. Unless I've forgotten something.

Archived