Frak me! It's another Battlestar Galactica thread!

Werthead

[quote name='Relic' post='1323912' date='Apr 21 2008, 22.25']i got the impression that there was mroe to it. There was some mention of the Galactica being allowed to escape on purpose.[/quote]

I think someone's said it was to find earth, yeah.

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1323637' date='Apr 21 2008, 18.02']Their plan had something to do with making Cylon-Human Hybrids. Hence the Farms and the Sharon / Helo relationship. They then realized their plan was frakked up and decided that conquering the humans was funner than exterminating them.[/quote]

But tyrols kid is that hybrid, yes?

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1323989' date='Apr 22 2008, 04.09']If we accept that the Final Five are the same as the Seven.

For the record, I don't think thats possible (note: Colonel Tigh)[/quote]
Hmph. RDM said something about them being Cylons, 'but fundamentally different' in an interview. You think it has to do with the whole procreation bit?

[quote name='potsherds' post='1324001' date='Apr 21 2008, 23.20']Hmph. RDM said something about them being Cylons, 'but fundamentally different' in an interview. You think it has to do with the whole procreation bit?[/quote]

who knows. Tory certainly Super-Bitch-Slaps as well as 6 did.

[quote name='potsherds' post='1324001' date='Apr 21 2008, 23.20']Hmph. RDM said something about them being Cylons, 'but fundamentally different' in an interview. You think it has to do with the whole procreation bit?[/quote]

I dunno.

Did the Chief love Cally? Did the writers even think of that? Probaly not.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1323972' date='Apr 21 2008, 22.57']I've heard this suggested by people on the internet, but nothing in the show itself seems to indicate this. Unless I've forgotten something.[/quote]

You actually think that anything on this show needs to be established before the writers stick it in regardless? After 2 seasons of this crap? You must have the patience of a saint.

I must say this was a crappy episode. It was however essentially a "very special" 90210 where we get to see the effects of Post partum depression in the Galactica world (and much like 90210 this stuff happens to a minor character). It even had the enjoyable Steve Sanders/David Silver adventures equivalent in the Cylon Civil war that were completely irrelevant to the actual episode but actually were part of the series as a whole.

Then there was the extremely well written "I just wanna frak you motherfrakking frak frakker!" scene which I hope they send to the Emmy's so that the selectors can experience why this show should be nominated for writing.

But then the stupidest little detail bothered me the most... The 4 meet in a seemingly abandoned weapons locker that has a massive bulkhead as a door. Why a bulkhead? Well one would presume so that a crucial part of the ship could be easily blocked off in case of hull breach *OR* to keep people from getting weapons. Yet this brilliant display of planning neglected to think about how someone could take off one of the tiles [b]right next to the door[/b] and leave enough room for an enterprising person to bypass the massive bulkhead; or in the case of a hull breach how the air would just suck the tile/s out and go around the nicely built bulkhead.

In a way I guess I'm enjoying the show more than I used to, I like watching it now for the 90210 factor ie: to see how bad it can get.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1324132' date='Apr 22 2008, 02.29']You actually think that anything on this show needs to be established before the writers stick it in regardless? After 2 seasons of this crap? You must have the patience of a saint[/quote]

What's that got to do with anything? The point is, the show has given no suggestion that they "allowed" the fleet to run. So any suppositions to that effect are just unsupported fan blather and theory.

If it turns out to be true in the future, it doesn't make the suppositions now anymore grounded either. If I'd said, at the end of the miniseries "I think their gonna settle on a planet and then get conquered by the Cylons", I'd have been right (and prophetic), but it still would have been completely unsubstantiated blather.

The rest of your post is the kind of confirmation bias I've come to expect from half the posts in this thread.

I thought this was a good episode overall. This season has started out well and gives me hope that they maybe able to bring things to a decent conclusion. Of course looking at the overall run of the show as a whole it still feels like at some point after the first season and a half the writers lost their way. While the show has had great moments after that point and its still possible that it may have a solid ending, its going to be hard to reconcile what the show was with what it has become.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1324137' date='Apr 22 2008, 03.37']The rest of your post is the kind of confirmation bias I've come to expect from half the posts in this thread.[/quote]

Lol i love fan boys. You can feed em shit with a spoon and they'll smile and ask for more. Yes since you like it it MUST be good and anyone who says different is a douche.

In regards to the BSG being allowed to escape...thats the impression i got when i was rewatching s1+s2 a year or so ago. I dont recall everything that led me to that put it had something to do with the seemingly high amount of skinjobs on the BSG itself during the time of the attack.

Relic,

Because [i]you[/i] think something is shit does not necessarily make it so. I just got Season 3 two weeks ago. I'm slogging though it. Yes, the middle part of the season does suck pretty hard. However, I've enjoyed the first three episodes of this season. I do wish we'd see more about the split among the cylons.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1324336' date='Apr 22 2008, 09.06']Relic,

Because [i]you[/i] think something is shit does not necessarily make it so.[/quote]

I didnt say it does. Im not questioning you liking the show.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1323653' date='Apr 21 2008, 20.14']1) Initial Plan: Follow Gods plan for the Cylons and replace humanity. Ergo, destroy the human race and take over their planets.

Addendum: Can't breed on our own. Need humans to help make this happen, since "Be fruitful and multiply" is part of God's plan. Ergo => Farms.

2) Caprica-6 and Boomer convince Cylons that they and the humans can live in peace. This leads to New Caprica. NC goes all to hell, Cylons decide it was a bad idea from the start.

3) Cylons decide they need to figure out who they are and what their real purpose is. Head for Earth to figure that out. Try to wipe out humans along the way.[/quote]

Good Summary. I just wish the show made this clearer and took out the part about the Cylons having a plan fromt he opening a few seasons back since their original plan is frakked.

I think it is funny. The thing I am not getting is Baltar not being so selfish all of a sudden - wtf is that?

I do loooove Tory. She kicks ass and I think will be the first to embrace her cylon-ness. The Starbuck story is getting old and needs to be addressed quickly. I hate when the show separates everyone - it is not as good.

[quote name='Cocomaan' post='1324390' date='Apr 22 2008, 08.46']This was over the top for me - its bordering on a rape fantasy, IMO. The power dynamics are absolutely one-sided. At least Six and D'Anna both made a conscious choice. This last episode betrays some really perverted shit. It didn't advance the plot. It wasn't necessary. And it pretty much proves what I've felt all along, namely that the show sold out to the wider audience by catering to the lowest common denominator, the Jerry Springer audience.[/quote]

I think it says more about Baltar's character than on the quality of the show. There isn't this presentation of look this is soooooo cool! It is this continuing the pattern of seduction and coercion that is being applied to Baltar to convince him that he is a tool of God. It is still up in the air if this force is external or purely internal. It is also demonstrating that fundamental perceptions that Baltar has which still need to change. Baltar has that degree of selfishness, that it is about him, even becoming the "tool" of this God. He forgets that his actions affect others profoundly.

If this group stays as some sort of 70s love cult in space, I will begin to agree with you, but I don't think it will maintain any sense of cosmic bliss.

[quote name='Cocomaan' post='1324447' date='Apr 22 2008, 09.24']Yes, true. And I haven't watched the other two episodes, so I can't judge too far. However, my first reaction was disgust by the way they played this "character development" out.[/quote]

I think this development is playing out. The other shoe hasn't dropped yet. Baltar is being primed, his every action is divine. I don't think BSG had alot of things planned out, however I do feel that Baltar's case is the exception, that it was preconcieved. His progression seems natural.

Every act of Baltar's is beginning to be seen as divine by the man himself now. We have an intelligent man with a superiority complex who is inherently selfish and started as an atheist, or at least very cavalier about faith. He is now seeing himself as this tool or instrument of god, we almost see an establishment of a divine right to his actions. (Similar to some ways in Roslin who also acts as if she has a divine mandate and uses it to justify her own actions. I just don't think she is as inherently selfish as Baltar, but it is a slippery slope and I think a case can be made that she is.)

[quote name='Kel' post='1324406' date='Apr 22 2008, 09.57']I do loooove Tory. She kicks ass and I think will be the first to embrace her cylon-ness.[/quote]

Thought it was pretty clear that she already has.

Anders - desperately trying to hang onto Starbuck as she is part of his identity as a human, a tie to his past as a rebel hero.

Tyrol - lost, confused, full of doubt.

Tigh - steadfastly ignoring the fact that he's a Cylon, focusing on being XO.

Tory - is starting to enjoy the new feelings and abilities of being a Cylon. She is the most dangerous in my opinion, not so much in the idea that she can kill those who threaten to expose her - but in that she feels truely [i]empowered[/i] by being a Cylon.

To those that wondered about whether Tory waited for Callie to be sadistic -- I'd say no. That Callie looked up meant nothing to her: Tory could have just as easily been putting soap in the dishwasher with a baby on her hip.
The entire 'talk', including tears, was coldly calculated - showing that Tory has lost a sizable chunk of her humanity.
She may have regrets later, but I doubt it.

[quote name='Guy Kilmore' post='1324499' date='Apr 22 2008, 10.58']I think this development is playing out. The other shoe hasn't dropped yet. Baltar is being primed, his every action is divine. I don't think BSG had alot of things planned out, however I do feel that Baltar's case is the exception, that it was preconcieved. His progression seems natural.

Every act of Baltar's is beginning to be seen as divine by the man himself now. We have an intelligent man with a superiority complex who is inherently selfish and started as an atheist, or at least very cavalier about faith. He is now seeing himself as this tool or instrument of god, we almost see an establishment of a divine right to his actions. (Similar to some ways in Roslin who also acts as if she has a divine mandate and uses it to justify her own actions. I just don't think she is as inherently selfish as Baltar, but it is a slippery slope and I think a case can be made that she is.)[/quote]

Yeah. Whatever this "God" thing is, it's been manipulating Baltar from the start. It's pushing him towards the role is needs him to be in for .... whatever the hell it wants. And it's never been above using sex as coersion, which may explain the cult in alot of ways.

It's separated him from everyone who would see him as a person, and left him only with people who see him as an "Instrument of God". And he's believing it now.

[quote]Lol i love fan boys. You can feed em shit with a spoon and they'll smile and ask for more. Yes since you like it it MUST be good and anyone who says different is a douche.[/quote]

It's funny you say this, as there are several people here who are negative fanboys. Rabidly determined that everything the show does now SUCKS. You go in with a preconceived notion that it's going to be bad, and use anything you can to confirm the belief you already hold. It's pretty sad. At least the positive fanboys are enjoying themselves, what's your excuse?

I mean seriously? "LOL, 90210, Post Pardem Depression"? That's just reaching for a reason to hate the show.

Archived