Yet another frakkin' BSG thread

Wouter

To continue right where we left off:
[quote]Are we sure that's the case? Athena was basically a copy of Boomer, but there were countless eights that have been alive and unresurrected since before the attack on the colonies. Especially since they didn't have access to the ressurection ship, it doesn't seem to me that every 8 on board would have been updated with their memories, especially since Athena is a traitor and Boomer was nearly boxed for too much damage.[/quote]
Yes, we know that many (perhaps not all) 8s have downloaded memories/experiences/knowledge from either Athena or Boomer. Grace Park mentioned this in a recent interview (one on Amazon IIRC). Apparently this creates a bit of a rift within the 8s, with each individual tending to see things the way either Boomer or Athena did or do, depening on which memories they took. This is going to play a role in the coming episodes it seems, and we probably already saw the first effects with the group of 8s in "Faith" who were almost worshipping Athena.

No doubt, a large number of 8s, if not all, knows perfectly well how to operate a Raptor - quite possibly better than the colonials themselves, as we have already seen Cylons do 2 things with Raptors that colonials haven't done (on screen): adapting the Raptor with the brain of a heavy raider (an idea of Athena, allthough probably done under her instructions by Chief and co), and programming it to fly automatically between 2 baseships.

In addition to the heavy raiders already mentioned (how is it possible in the first place that Leoben clearly had been in contact with Natalie after the battle since they had agreed to an alliance with humans - an idea that came after Cavil started killing them - yet he was adrift in a heavy raider that had lost all propulsion, far away from Natalie's baseship), there are also the normal raiders to consider. Surely they, and other heavy raiders besides Leoben's, weren't all destroyed or otherwise lost? Each raider has its own fully working FTL drive.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1354024' date='May 13 2008, 18.50']I didn't lurk in the last thread at all, but I took note of how busy it was.

Is this show good? I'm not trying to troll. I just thought it looked sort of like a SciFi Hercules or Xena (which to me would not be something to brag about).[/quote]

i just finished watching season 1. i felt it was decent. had some good episodes and some excellent moments. but for a while i felt it moved rather slow.

i do plan to continue on to season 2. but i may stop there.

its far past xena/hercules.

its far better than many shows on TV right now. just not sure its my thing. i get let down with series that don't hold over time, and from what i read here it kinda gets diluted. but thats speculation based on posts i read while lurking.

i'd give it a shot if you are looking for something new to watch

There's a vocal segment of the forum that thinks the show has been going steadily to shit. Relic is one of them. He's probably anticipating the arguments to come.

Anyway, it's one of the best shows on TV. At least give the Mini-series a try.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1354067' date='May 13 2008, 18.30']Oh God. What did I say?[/quote]
- Enjoy the miniseries and season 1, they're fantastic.

- Enjoy the high points of Season 2, and the first few episodes of season 3.

- Plod through the filler that plagues every long running show ("Lee Adama, Private Eye", "Helo, Altruistic Ninny").

- Suffer through the broken plot points from late season 3 (here's where it gets difficult).

- Pray for a sensible resolution here in Season 4.

Me, I'm a glass-half-full guy. I can block out "the Woman King" and "Black Market" and put them into the same part of my brain as most of the holodeck episodes (a box that says [i]do not open, hazardous contents[/i]).

Season 4 has been 50-50 for me so far, but I left the last episode very eager to see what's coming next.

Bah, I still think [i]Hero [/i]was the worst episode. [i]Black Market[/i] and [i]The Women King[/i] seem like good ideas that went badly. [i]Hero [/i]was dumb the minute the basic idea came out of someones mouth at a brainstorming session.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1354755' date='May 14 2008, 09.38']Bah, I still think [i]Hero [/i]was the worst episode. [i]Black Market[/i] and [i]The Women King[/i] seem like good ideas that went badly. [i]Hero [/i]was dumb the minute the basic idea came out of someones mouth at a brainstorming session.[/quote]
Hero was bad enough that it didn't even go into the box. My brain had destroyed all evidence of it. Totally gone.

Til now. Thanks.

[quote name='EnlightenmentHK' post='1354841' date='May 14 2008, 10.24']Someone remind me...which episode was Hero?[/quote]

Black guy Adama sent across the border into Cylon space and disappeared returns and tries to kill him.

We've all repressed it, since it's full of stupidity, plot holes and retcons.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1354844' date='May 14 2008, 10.25']Black guy Adama sent across the border into Cylon space and disappeared returns and tries to kill him.

We've all repressed it, since it's full of stupidity, plot holes and retcons.[/quote]

Aye, total waste of a possibly cool character / actor.

edit: Actually, it has one redeeming quality; When Tigh lays the smackdown on Bulldog.

I agree with what most are saying: certainly give the miniseries a try, and if you like it, season 1 and season 2 (certainly the first half, allthough the second half is still decent with a couple great eps). From S3 on, the show starts getting more and more preachy IMO, and less focused on storytelling and its own premise. At times, S3 feels a bit like Star Trek: The Next Generation with its standalones and moral lessons of the day.

S4 is very different from S3 in that it is/will be one long arc, but while it is exciting I fear they are having great difficulties in letting it all make sense if you want to watch the whole show from start (mini) to end.

Is nobody held accountable anymore? Half (or more) of the main characters should be in the brig on mutiny/treason/murder charges. And that list now includes Athena - who just killed the leader of their allies in cold blood. Are you kidding me?

Throw in Baltar's insipid little speech to Tory about patriotism and truth, and we get Ronald Moore hitting us on the head with the 2X4 of his political views again. We get it Ronny, we get it.

Did Roslin actually say that Gaeta had a "beautiful voice"? I found it pretty annoying, and if I was another patient in that sick bay, I think I'd be beating him over the head with my bed pan until he shut up.

Somewhere in the last few episodes amongst the discussions of truth, religious freedoms, presidential powers run amok and patriotism I've lost track of the actual plot of this series. Aren't the humans trying to find Earth so that they'll be free of the Cylons? Why exactly does everyone believe that the final 5 will know the way to Earth? And if you believe that they do know the way...doesn't that mean that there are Cylons already at Earth?

That was a fraking crazy episode. A couple things: 1. They really seem to be pushing the idea that Gaeta is the final cylon. Is this for real or just a red hearing? Personally I'm hoping for the later. 2. Hera's coloring book was REALY creepy. 3. I was really disappointed that Athena shot rebel 6

I think Gaeta does have a pretty decent singing voice.

But not a voice that I'd want to hear singing the same damned song over, and over, and over again for hours on end. I'd have stuffed a rag in his mouth... Heck, I'd have stuffed a rag in Pavarotti's mouth he tried something like that.

It was a good episode, but the second half felt like the writers realising they couldn't go get D'Anna [i]right now[/i], they have to hold it off...

SPOILER: BSG
...until just before the mid-season cliffhanger.

Great stuff with Roslin discovering Tory's betrayal, the basestar jumping in and the fleet's reaction to it (especially Tigh's) and Roslin actually bothering to try and get the Quorum's support on something for once. However, Athena shooting Natalie was totally retarded. In the visions it's Caprica-Six taking Hera, not Natalie, and Athena knows that from the pep-talk in the brig in the Season 3 finale. This isn't even that event, since Baltar and Roslin are not present (nice touch by making the corridors of the [i]Galactica[/i] resemble the corridors of the Opera House though).

It does feel like we're getting closer to some kind of answer or at least resolution on the visions/head-people thing. And a good ending to the episode as well.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I saw this article from Abercrombie, reviewing BSG's third season, quite fun and to the point.

[url="http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/features/arc/2008/nz12513.php"]http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/features/arc/2008/nz12513.php[/url]

Oh yeah, something cool about the next episode (on in two weeks):

SPOILER: BSG
Romo Lamkin is back! No word on if his cat is back as well though.

Damn. No [b]Lost[/b] or [b]BSG[/b] next week :(

Except for the beginning (more clichéd attempts to artificially create tension! Will Galactica actually blow up the rebel basestar in an ironic twist? Oh, guess not...) this episode delivered. More of this please.

Though Wert's spoiler confuses me somewhat. What could that possibly add to the current storylines?

This episode was all over the place. But in a good way. Basestar, Galactica, back and forth over and over again. The episode must have taken place for a long time, because of all that raptor traffic. I liked this episode, but it wasn't as good as last weeks.

The Gaeta sob story was quite touching. And the talk they had about the final five when both Tigh and Tory was in the room, it made me smirk. He he he.

What do you mean, there is no BSG next week? Gahhhhh!

Archived