Yet another frakkin' BSG thread

Wouter

Just watched the episode last night. I very hurriedly skimmed the last few pages of discussion, so forgive me if I'm repeating something here. But are we absolutely sure that they ended up on Earth? I remember in the season finale last year, where they zoomed out from the fleet, zoomed in on Earth and then zoomed back out. It was clearly Earth, with the North American continent being plainly visible.

However, in this episode, it's almost as if they took great pains to make sure everything was cloud covered, so we got no good looks at the land masses. So...it is possible that this isn't Earth after all?

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1403204' date='Jun 17 2008, 20.43']Just watched the episode last night. I very hurriedly skimmed the last few pages of discussion, so forgive me if I'm repeating something here. But are we absolutely sure that they ended up on Earth? I remember in the season finale last year, where they zoomed out from the fleet, zoomed in on Earth and then zoomed back out. It was clearly Earth, with the North American continent being plainly visible.

However, in this episode, it's almost as if they took great pains to make sure everything was cloud covered, so we got no good looks at the land masses. So...it is possible that this isn't Earth after all?[/quote]

Weird. I was just re-watching that part of the episode because I was thinking the exact same thing.

It seems possible, but they said the constellations matched up, right? Unless this is some planet around Alpha Centauri or another nearby star.

It's also possible that they just didn't want to show where exactly they are on Earth.

If it actually turns out that the planet is not Earth, that would be the worst plot twist the show has ever done, and they've done a lot of really stupid plot twists.

Hmm. According to the Chicago Times, apparently an insider who'd provided 100% accurate previous spoiler info got in touch with their TV correspondent and said just one thing:

SPOILER: BSG
"NOT New York."

Interesting.

I'm seeing a lot of speculation that the Earth in the show is actually a parallel universe Earth which does not have to have anything to do with our Earth. Whilst an interesting idea, it does contracting RDM's policy of not going completely over the audience's heads. This is the same guy who insisted on showing North America in the S3 finale just so people would know that it was Earth, so turning around and saying that "it's not our Earth but a parallel one but still one where they still have 'All Along the Watchtower' and Shakespeare," is going to completely befuddle people. At the same time, it HAS to be Earth. Us trucking along for another nine episodes of woe and despair and then someone saying, "Whoops! Hey, here's the REAL Earth, it's much nicer!" would be absolutely moronic, and would kill the power of [i]Revelations[/i]' finale stone dead.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1403277' date='Jun 17 2008, 22.09']Hmm. According to the Chicago Times, apparently an insider who'd provided 100% accurate previous spoiler info got in touch with their TV correspondent and said just one thing:

"NOT New York."

Interesting.

I'm seeing a lot of speculation that the Earth in the show is actually a parallel universe Earth which does not have to have anything to do with our Earth. Whilst an interesting idea, it does contracting RDM's policy of not going completely over the audience's heads. This is the same guy who insisted on showing North America in the S3 finale just so people would know that it was Earth, so turning around and saying that "it's not our Earth but a parallel one but still one where they still have 'All Along the Watchtower' and Shakespeare," is going to completely befuddle people. At the same time, it HAS to be Earth. Us trucking along for another nine episodes of woe and despair and then someone saying, "Whoops! Hey, here's the REAL Earth, it's much nicer!" would be absolutely moronic, and would kill the power of [i]Revelations[/i]' finale stone dead.[/quote]

whatever the case, an earth which produced that version of All Along the Watchtower could most definitely destroy itself.

/agreed Wert

If that's not the real Earth, this show has jumped an infinite number of sharks. So many sharks that it is actually in a continual, never-ending state of shark jumping.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1403277' date='Jun 18 2008, 04.09']Hmm. According to the Chicago Times, apparently an insider who'd provided 100% accurate previous spoiler info got in touch with their TV correspondent and said just one thing:

"NOT New York."

Interesting.

I'm seeing a lot of speculation that the Earth in the show is actually a parallel universe Earth which does not have to have anything to do with our Earth. Whilst an interesting idea, it does contracting RDM's policy of not going completely over the audience's heads. This is the same guy who insisted on showing North America in the S3 finale just so people would know that it was Earth, so turning around and saying that "it's not our Earth but a parallel one but still one where they still have 'All Along the Watchtower' and Shakespeare," is going to completely befuddle people. At the same time, it HAS to be Earth. Us trucking along for another nine episodes of woe and despair and then someone saying, "Whoops! Hey, here's the REAL Earth, it's much nicer!" would be absolutely moronic, and would kill the power of [i]Revelations[/i]' finale stone dead.[/quote]

Told you so ;)

[quote name='Het Vreemdeling' post='1403604' date='Jun 18 2008, 07.58']whatever the case, an earth which produced that version of All Along the Watchtower could most definitely destroy itself.[/quote]

I thought that version was fantastic. They remade an original work of genius to perfectly fit their setting. Independently it might not be as great though.

But what you are saying Wert, seems to run contrary to something I remember from a previous incarnation of this thread. Im pretty sure you mentioned at the end of season 3 that RDM had said that the All Along The Watchtowers song was an indication that this wasn't our universe, but a parallell one.

Archived