MLB Thread

The Wedge

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1361247' date='May 19 2008, 20.21']In happier news (unless you root for the Royals), Jon Lester has 8 innings of a no-hitter going right now.[/quote]

I think you only can apply a curse to a potential no-no if you are a sportswriter or a sports broadcaster.

Now, a perfect game... we all need to tread perfectly if there's a perfect game on the line. However, this is fairly easy to get around, because "has not allowed a baserunner through X" gets the point across without treading into the jinxing the 'perfect'.

EDIT: I still haven't forgotten the last Red Sox no-hitter. I will never forget the night that Clay Buchholz shut us down in his second start. I was hammered out of my mind at a friend's house (who had just gotten married that day) and I checked the score to see how the Orioles did - next thing you know I see it was a no-hitter. I was drunkenly rambling about how much the Orioles sucked for the next 20 minutes. If memory serves I even came and posted about it here at some point in that night... it gets fuzzy after a while though.

EDIT 2: And no-no is complete. I don't care who you're playing, that's impressive.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1361258' date='May 19 2008, 18.30']I just had this very moment at work. :lol: I'm tellling Coworker 1 (Red Sox fan) to check out his pitcher, and he's like, "Why, we've got a 7 run lead?" I keep saying "you should check it out anyway." Coworker 2 (douche) Yells out, well, you know what he yelled out.

Edit: CW 2 is a douche on his own merits. This was not to imply that DVD is a douche. ;)[/quote]

Hah, feel free. Though, that's more or less why I did say it right out; if someone told me to go throw on the Sox game, I'd say, "fuck off, it's Red Sox-Royals! What else do I need to know?"

JON LESTER!!! YES!~

While he was talking to Francona I think I saw Lester say, "It was fun." Crazy.

Came back from Cancer last year and now, fully healthy, comes out and throws a no hitter. Some franchises don't have any no hitters...some great pitchers never threw one. Now two big prospects for the Red Sox have thrown no hitters. Insane.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1361268' date='May 19 2008, 18.39']Jon Lester - "I beat cancer, damnit! I'm not giving up a hit to the fucking Royals!"[/quote]

Possibly a direct quote? :P

Good for him, it's really impossible to root against the guy.

Crap. I was going to watch some of the game, but got caught up in a game of CIV. Since most Red Sox games last about 4 and half hours, I was just checking the score before heading downstairs to watch the game and the front page of ESPN.com says Lester just pitched a no hitter.

Probably for the best. My dad called in the eighth inning when Schilling had a no-no going to tell me to turn the game on, and we Sox fans remember how that one turned out.

Sets a new MLB record for Varitek, he has now caught 4 no hitters (Nomo, Lowe, Buchholz, Lester) and was 1 out away from 5 with Schilling. Unbelievable.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361156' date='May 19 2008, 16.54']Pitchers are drafted for their pitching ability with no concern for their hitting ability. Many of them don't hit much or simply haven't hit for years because they focus on their craft, pitching. I don't want to see them struggling hitting at the highest level. That is not where their talent lies and they shouldn't be put in that position. Nuff said.[/quote]
Most pitchers were the best hitters on their high school teams. Yes Pitchers are drafted for there ability to pitch, but that shouldn't exempt them from having to take a turn at the plate.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361156' date='May 19 2008, 16.54']You guys keep bringing up these ridiculously absurd arguments that you believe my logic should support. It isn't cute. I have not, nor will I ever, argue that there should be 9 DHs nor aluminum bats. If the best way you can think of to argue is to straw man mine, then maybe you ought to realize you don't have a leg to stand on.[/quote]
Try arguing my points rather than simple saying my points aren't good enough to argue. You are the one who tried to prove that the DH is a good thing because it helps AL teams score more runs, my arguments against it were just a continuation of that logic. Your logic. If you have a problem with the logic then perhaps you shouldn't have put it forward to argue your case.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361156' date='May 19 2008, 16.54']And seriously, I can't say I respect the Giants for anything. What a piece of shit franchise. Not only the pathetic team they through out there everyday, but the fact they've been a haven for the most egregious cheater in sports history for the last 10 years.[/quote]
I am a Dodger fan, which means I hate the Giants with every ounce of my soul. That being said I must respect them. This so called "piece of shit franchise" has won more games than any other team in the history of the MLB. But what do you care, you're a Red Sox fan. I can't expect you to have respect for any team outside of Boston. And I guess I can't expect you to remember that 5 years ago your team was the biggest joke in baseball.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1361306' date='May 19 2008, 22.18']Most pitchers were the best hitters on their high school teams. Yes Pitchers are drafted for there ability to pitch, but that shouldn't exempt them from having to take a turn at the plate.[/quote]
On their highschool teams. That must be a pretty high level for all of them I'd guess. I also am not finding myself swayed by your use of the nebulous 'most'.
[quote name='Myshkin' post='1361306' date='May 19 2008, 22.18']Try arguing my points rather than simple saying my points aren't good enough to argue. You are the one who tried to prove that the DH is a good thing because it helps AL teams score more runs, my arguments against it were just a continuation of that logic. Your logic. If you have a problem with the logic then perhaps you shouldn't have put it forward to argue your case.[/quote]
My argument is that pitchers shouldn't be hitting at the highest level because they are absolutely pathetic at it.
[quote name='Myshkin' post='1361306' date='May 19 2008, 22.18']I am a Dodger fan, which means I hate the Giants with every ounce of my soul. That being said I must respect them. This so called "piece of shit franchise" has won more games than any other team in the history of the MLB. But what do you care, you're a Red Sox fan. I can't expect you to have respect for any team outside of Boston. And I guess I can't expect you to remember that 5 years ago your team was the biggest joke in baseball.[/quote]
This thread was moving in a positive direction away from being childish and now you've dragged it back down. Apparently you haven't been here long enough to view me as anything other than a Red Sox fan. I appreciate that you hold me, and other Red Sox fans (WJ and others), in such high esteem. I probably know more about the Dodgers than you do.

The Dodgers haven't won a world series since 1988 and they are 6-12 in the world series. Hows that feeling?

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361328' date='May 19 2008, 19.34']The Dodgers haven't won a world series since 1988 and they are 6-12 in the world series. Hows that feeling?[/quote]
Come on man, this is just absurd. You can bust on the Cubs for this. You can bust on the Giants for this. But the Dodgers? And by "you" I mean fans of teams other than the Red Sox or White Sox, who just recently got out of the doghouse.

And cats and dogs and all that...

If he's going to make the argument that the Sox were the biggest joke in baseball 5 years ago, it is fair game. I don't seriously think the Dodgers are a bad franchise at all. In fact, it is a bit silly to be bringing up the past at all when my point about SF was about the current product they are putting out on the field everyday. It is really pathetic.

Anyways, Cal/Jax how did you guys like the Edmonds catch today? :)

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361336' date='May 19 2008, 19.42']In fact, it is a bit silly to be bringing up the past at all when my point about SF was about the current product they are putting out on the field everyday. It is really pathetic.[/quote]
If you parse your three sentence post re: the Giants, the first sentence could imply that you don't respect them for their past accomplishments, the second is completely vague, and the third was specifically about the past.

If what you meant was that the current product is utter crap, well, I can't argue with that.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361336' date='May 19 2008, 21.42']Anyways, Cal/Jax how did you guys like the Edmonds catch today? :)[/quote]

After a foul off his ankle earlier too. Damned insane. While we won 7-2, that catch might have just saved the game. Jimmy Ballgame might just have bought himself a couple extra weeks on the team.

Query though: Len Kasper mentioned tonight that one of Lance Berkman's many nicknames is apparently "Fat Elvis". Is this true? Made me almost spill my beer I was laughing at the thought.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361328' date='May 19 2008, 19.34']My argument is that pitchers shouldn't be hitting at the highest level because they are absolutely pathetic at it.[/quote]
So, they should be given a free pass, and so should the ringers who didn't have the glove to make it to the bigs?

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361328' date='May 19 2008, 19.34']This thread was moving in a positive direction away from being childish and now you've dragged it back down. Apparently you haven't been here long enough to view me as anything other than a Red Sox fan..[/quote]
Ah, it me who dragged this thread down. It couldn't possibly have been you with your "piece of shit franchise" comment, your refusal to back up your arguments, or you overall condescending tone.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361328' date='May 19 2008, 19.34']I appreciate that you hold me, and other Red Sox fans (WJ and others), in such high esteem. I probably know more about the Dodgers than you do.[/quote]
You're right, I shouldn't have lumped all Red Sox fans together like that. Please take all previous comments to mean you personally and not Red Sox fans in general.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361328' date='May 19 2008, 19.34']The Dodgers haven't won a world series since 1988 and they are 6-12 in the world series. Hows that feeling?[/quote]
Talk to me again when the Dodgers have gone 86 years without a championship. That was just pathetic.

FYI Myshkin, I'm not bothering reading or responding to anything you say. You brought this to a personal level where it was not necessary.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1361355' date='May 19 2008, 20.05']Query though: Len Kasper mentioned tonight that one of Lance Berkman's many nicknames is apparently "Fat Elvis". Is this true? Made me almost spill my beer I was laughing at the thought.[/quote]
I can't say about elswhere, but that's what he's known as here in the Bay.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1361156' date='May 19 2008, 18.54']Pitchers are drafted for their pitching ability with no concern for their hitting ability. Many of them don't hit much or simply haven't hit for years because they focus on their craft, pitching. I don't want to see them struggling hitting at the highest level. That is not where their talent lies and they shouldn't be put in that position. Nuff said.[/quote]

This is the best argument in favor of the DH. And it answers Myshkin's point about 9 DH's fairly well. There's an obvious difference between pitchers and position players.

[quote]Pitchers are drafted for their pitching ability with no concern for their hitting ability. Many of them don't hit much or simply haven't hit for years because they focus on their craft, pitching. I don't want to see them struggling hitting at the highest level. That is not where their talent lies and they shouldn't be put in that position. Nuff said.[/quote]

Time to call for a change on all levels of baseball then! From the college game all the way down to the lowest little league level! Forget the fact that the game's always been played with the pitcher hitting too (until the American League decided they needed more power to compete with the popularity of the NL). Identify who's gonna pitch for your 8 year old's team and concentrate on pitching with him and let one of the other kids hit instead. Might as well just have the DH on all levels then, huh?

But whatever. I refer you all back to the instant replay question. That sounds like a more interesting debate.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1361391' date='May 19 2008, 22.28']Time to call for a change on all levels of baseball then! From the college game all the way down to the lowest little league level! Forget the fact that the game's always been played with the pitcher hitting too (until the American League decided they needed more power to compete with the popularity of the NL). Identify who's gonna pitch for your 8 year old's team and concentrate on pitching with him and let one of the other kids hit instead. Might as well just have the DH on all levels then, huh?[/quote]

Hyperbole makes for really stupid arguments.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1361391' date='May 19 2008, 23.28']But whatever. I refer you all back to the instant replay question. That sounds like a more interesting debate.[/quote]
Instant replay for home runs ONLY. It would actually speed up the game.

I saw earlier that Skip Bayless thought that instant replay should be used for ALL OUTS. So generally, I try to think of the opposite of what he says to figure out what is the right answer. No instant replay doesn't quite make sense, so limiting to just homers works. :)

Archived