The Happy Ending

Starker

I'm anxious to see how the assassination attempt will effect his views on being LC. First the Old Bear now him. I never found the source for the comments I've seen on the forum that he's supposed to be a more grey character but maybe it refers to how his personality will be after his murder/attempted murder.

Yeah, it's gonna be interesting. I think we'll see a departure from the Wall anyway, and Jon will maybe find himself in a different setting for a while.

Maybe this gap will allow him to consider his feelings towards the assassination attempt before his eventual return. Personally, I'd much rather him stick to his vows and become this sort of Aemon character than try to become a King.

His fight lies North, not South.

I think the Others will move them South then they will have to drive them back up North again. The first AA had to push them back as well but it's not said how far down they got that time. It's a shame that the first time Jon will be south of Winterfell since a baby is because of this.

You mostly just mispelled Eowyn.

You did well!

If you could do that synopsis with The Silmarillion after only reading it when you were 12, I'd be UBER impressed.

Thanks! And oh god I tried to read the Silmarillion, but failed miserably. Managed to wade through the tale of Beren and Luthien and that was it.........and that was at 17 or so.

I feel it could be that the wolves return, but that we won't like them, leaving maybe Sansa out, because of her lost wolf connection.

I expect some creepy discover over the Stark family from the final unifying explaination about the what the Others, the White Walkers, the CotF and all of the magic are.

And I expect very much that when Jamie will die, most of the readers will mourn him for a good reason or another

:agree:

Well said. I doubt any more Starks will die soon, I have the feeling that at the most only one more will die. Hopefully none, but if one has to go.......Sana will do nicely.

Hey! Not Sansa! Not when she endured so much. If another Stark should die, it would be Rickon because if you think about it you really don't know anything about him and care less if he's gone.

The best ending:

All the Starks, Tyrells, Arryns, Baratheons, Martells, Greyjoys, Stokeworths, Dragon people and Small Councilmen die.

King Tommen gains control of Westeros and renames it Joffreyland in honor of his fallen brother who died defending his beloved nation.

Melisandre turns Varys into a spider.

Lys conquers the other Free cities and turns all of Essos into a giant whorehouse.

Hey! Not Sansa! Not when she endured so much. If another Stark should die, it would be Rickon because if you think about it you really don't know anything about him and care less if he's gone.

disagree.

Rickon needs to continue the Stark line.

It should be Arya... she's like a Nun, so no great loss.

I would love to see Jon Snow take the Iron Throne but realistically speaking I think the 7 kingdoms will soon be divided again. One king seven kingdoms? Come on! its just too big. I hope Jon becomes king in the North if that happens but I really believe Sansa will be Queen in the South. I hope she become the younger more beautiful queen in Cersei's prophecy. I call that poetic justice. Arya will come back and will probably become a Kingsguard and marry Gendry or Ned Dayne aka Lord Starfall. While Bran may never come back... bittersweet but that's what I feel. He'll become the sacrifice to win the war against the Others. While Dany can stay where she is. Reading about her rule in Meereen, she really does not deserve to gain Westeros just because she has 3 dragons

I just like to hear you're thoughts about the ending of the series and the role or position the Starks will be in at that moment (and why some of you are so anti-Stark).

i have nothing against a happy ending, and this is weird because I usually do.

I dislike happy ending. I like realistic tales and I don't like Sue-ish ending, and I usually don't care if a character I like dies, because it's the end of the story and I had the opportunity to enjoy it until the end. If i don't like what happens, I can just scrap it out in my mind and pretend it never happened - but I almost always like it.

Anyway I'd really like a kinda-happy-ending for ASOIAF. the reason is that I came to love the story - and the characters. I feel like if after this long story, somobody deserves some happines, even if that somebody is just a character in a story.Does it make any sense? I don't know :)

Th Starks, The North, The Tullys and the Riverlands have just had blow after blow while the Lannisters have lost very little and the Tyrells have lost bugger all (although fingers are crossed for Marg's head). What I don't get is even with a happy ending, it would be bittersweet because of all they have lost (all of Winterfell is dead).

So the ending maybe just bitter.

Th Starks, The North, The Tullys and the Riverlands have just had blow after blow while the Lannisters have lost very little
Tywin, Joffrey, Jaime, Kevan, Lancel, supremacy, prestige, unity are what they lost, so far. Not that light. Worse than the Starks in head counts. Certainly worse than the Tullys, who merely lost a castle and a member (Hoster doesn't count, unless we want to count Tytos).

the Tyrells have lost bugger all (although fingers are crossed for Marg's head).
What did the Tyrells ever do to you? Plenty of houses are mostly untouched so far.

Tywin, Joffrey, Jaime, Kevan, Lancel, supremacy, prestige, unity are what they lost, so far. Not that light. Worse than the Starks in head counts. Certainly worse than the Tullys, who merely lost a castle and a member (Hoster doesn't count, unless we want to count Tytos).

Hey Jaime ain't dead or Lancel.......yet. ;) In terms of actual family members the Starks have only lost Ned, Cat and Robb, and possibly Benjen and Jon, but they have also had their Castle burnt down and all there smallfolk horribly killed (I do not hold out much hope for any of the Women of Winterfell).

The Westerlands have not been burned and stripped to the extent the Riverlands have and the Tullys have lost Hoster, Lysa and technically Cat as well. Edmure has had his birth right stripped from him and will remain a prisoner the rest of his days, potentially.

All have lost unity and prestige, including the Lannisters.

What did the Tyrells ever do to you? Plenty of houses are mostly untouched so far.

Played a game of Cyvasse with Marg.....she cheated like hell. :P

Actually it was fucking over Sansa and Tyrion that I thought was awful and they are really just as foul as the Lannisters, only they cover up their deeds more sweetly.

Okay soooo... the happiest possible ending for me??? That is, where all the characters I love most have the most suitable ending I think possible for them? Just for the record I think very little of this will really happen:

After saving all of Westeros, Daenerys Targaryen, first of her name, rules Westeros as sole reagent for many long years, never has children or takes another husband, and names as her heirs the cousins Tommen and Shireen Baratheon, betrothed at the time Dany takes the throne. Stannis is her hand as part of this arrangement. Jorah is her Lord Commander (Barristan Selmy having died of old age), and Brienne is one of her queensguard.

Tyrion is lord of Casterly Rock, marries one of his liege lord's daughters, has lots of babies that he is not an asshole to, and stops murdering people (yay!)

Jaime is pardoned by Daenerys at the request of Brienne of her queensguard. He is Tommen's sworn sword for the remainder of his life.

Bran saves everyone by warging all the wolves in Westeros against the Others. Instead of being absorbed by the weirwood, he marries Meera and retires to Greywater watch with her, passing his claim to Winterfell onto Rickon.

After uniting the Riverlands and the Vale against the threat which begins to cross the neck (Littlefinger having... disappeared mysteriously), Sansa rules as Lady regent of Winterfell for her brother Rickon until he comes of age and claims Winterfell as his own. Then Sansa marries Willas Tyrell and has lots of puppies on her lap and flowers, the end.

Jon Snow is revived among smoke and salt as Azor Ahai, and leads the defense against The Others' invasion. He finds out the truth of his birth but he knows his destiny is to protect humanity, not to sit a throne, so he defers to Daenerys' claim. He remains at the wall as Lord Commander, rebuilding the Night's Watch to its former glory - it's not as hard as it was, since everyone now knows the truth, that the Watch will always be needed.

Arya and Lady Stoneheart kill all the Freys and kill all the Boltons then disappear... actually they simply retire to a quiet village and find peace ala Sandor Clegane.

i have nothing against a happy ending, and this is weird because I usually do.

I dislike happy ending. I like realistic tales and I don't like Sue-ish ending, and I usually don't care if a character I like dies, because it's the end of the story and I had the opportunity to enjoy it until the end.

Is a happy ending by definition unrealistic? Now that's a pretty dark worldview (of the real world, mind you).

And this touches what I wrote earlier about not being "in" the story: if you can say, well, the story ends so I can't read about those characters anymore, so they may just as well be killed now - then do you really like the characters and sympatise with them? It seems to me you only like to read about them - but you don't really care for the characters themselves then, even when passing time inside their heads.

Jaime and Lancel are still alive and cannot (yet) be considered lost. Supremacy, prestige and unity are apparently bad losses for the Lannisters, but for the Tullys you describe the loss of their castle Riverrun, their garrison, the freedom of their lord and his wife and heir and all their lands and titles as "merely". Interesting choice of words.

The Starks not only lost a lot of direct family (Benjen missing and presumably dead, Ned dead, Catelyn sort-of dead, Robb dead) with the survivors scattered in all directions, they also lost their lands, their castle, their army, their servants, their household guards; all in all they lost almost the entire household from Winterfell from the lowest stablehand till the steward and the maester and captain of the guards. The Starks lost everything they had, really. Arya, Bran and Rickon have little more than the clothes they wear and Sansa is a beggar effectively.

In contrast, Casterly Rock still stands proud and the Lannisters have further increased their castles and lands, taking Riverrun as main prize. It's a large family, there are plenty of Lannisters left and they are still swimming in gold.

In contrast, Casterly Rock still stands proud and the Lannisters have further increased their castles and lands, taking Riverrun as main prize. It's a large family, there are plenty of Lannisters left and they are still swimming in gold.

Yes, but if Cersei has her way everything they have gained will slip through their fingers... :devil:

Arya might be reunited with Nymeria who will somehow lead her to Ghost and in turn that would mean Jon, therefore we'd get a nice reunion, the same could be true for Shaggydog/Rickon and Summer/Bran and then all the Starks would be back together (Sansa having since been raped & killed as she has no direwolf).

Hilarious, I like it.

Okay soooo... the happiest possible ending for me??? That is, where all the characters I love most have the most suitable ending I think possible for them? Just for the record I think very little of this will really happen:

After saving all of Westeros, Daenerys Targaryen, first of her name, rules Westeros as sole reagent for many long years, never has children or takes another husband, and names as her heirs the cousins Tommen and Shireen Baratheon, betrothed at the time Dany takes the throne. Stannis is her hand as part of this arrangement. Jorah is her Lord Commander (Barristan Selmy having died of old age), and Brienne is one of her queensguard.

Tyrion is lord of Casterly Rock, marries one of his liege lord's daughters, has lots of babies that he is not an asshole to, and stops murdering people (yay!)

Jaime is pardoned by Daenerys at the request of Brienne of her queensguard. He is Tommen's sworn sword for the remainder of his life.

Bran saves everyone by warging all the wolves in Westeros against the Others. Instead of being absorbed by the weirwood, he marries Meera and retires to Greywater watch with her, passing his claim to Winterfell onto Rickon.

After uniting the Riverlands and the Vale against the threat which begins to cross the neck (Littlefinger having... disappeared mysteriously), Sansa rules as Lady regent of Winterfell for her brother Rickon until he comes of age and claims Winterfell as his own. Then Sansa marries Willas Tyrell and has lots of puppies on her lap and flowers, the end.

Jon Snow is revived among smoke and salt as Azor Ahai, and leads the defense against The Others' invasion. He finds out the truth of his birth but he knows his destiny is to protect humanity, not to sit a throne, so he defers to Daenerys' claim. He remains at the wall as Lord Commander, rebuilding the Night's Watch to its former glory - it's not as hard as it was, since everyone now knows the truth, that the Watch will always be needed.

Arya and Lady Stoneheart kill all the Freys and kill all the Boltons then disappear... actually they simply retire to a quiet village and find peace ala Sandor Clegane.

Perfect! Bit too perfect for Martin to replicate, I bet like three of the characters you've mentioned will survive :)

Perfect! Bit too perfect for Martin to replicate, I bet like three of the characters you've mentioned will survive :)

LOL I agree...

My realistic death list actually includes all of the above characters except Tyrion, Sansa, and Jorah... I think with GRRM pessimism is the appropriate position to take. That way, I may be pleasantly surprised, but never disappointed!

Archived