June 2008 Reads

Larry.

I recently finished [i]The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao[/i] by Junot Diaz ([url="http://bloodmuse.blogspot.com/2008/06/brief-wondrous-life-of-oscar-wao-by.html"]review[/url]), and it was as excellent as I anticipated it to be.

It was an amazing ride filled with unforgettable characters, humor and a rare infectious energy that I found uplifting. Diaz has truly created something special here. I don't think you can read this and not be touch by Oscar Wao, he just shines in the book and you root for him in his journey to find love. I can see why it won this year's Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

[quote name='Brady' post='1419055' date='Jun 28 2008, 04.06']Wert, I've heard a few moments in ROTCG works better if you've read Toll first anyway.[/quote]

Definitely the reverse:

SPOILER: TTH
Traveller and Kallor show up in TTH fresh from their adventures in RotCG. I'm not 100% sure yet, but a pretty major, seismic plot event from RotCG you should read fresh I think slips out later on.

[font="Century Gothic"]@Trin read and (for the most part) enjoyed [b][color="#006400"][size=3]Bloodring[/size][/color] [i]by Faith Hunter[/i][/b]. (you can read her thoughts on the book on our [url="http://sf-fantasy-books.blogspot.com/2008/06/faith-hunter-bloodring-book-review.html"]blog[/url]).

Quick Take: [i]...better as Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, if nothing else.[/i][/font]

I finished [i]Tai-Pan [/i]by James Clavell yesterday. I really enjoyed this book. I liked the character interactions far more than Shogun, but I liked the setting of Shogun better. I particulary liked the Struan-Culum relationship. It is one of the best father-son relationships I have ever read. I also was fascinated by the 1840's European stance of hygiene such as avoiding bathing, wearing woolen clothes in the tropical heat, dismissing Chinese food as unhealthy and myths about malaria. It made me wonder when the attitude changed. Clavell seems to have a fondness for characters that are manipulative, have a high sense of political acumen and yet oddly compassionate (Dirk Struan and Toranaga). The typhoon ending was stunning.
I think I'll read [i]The Farfarers [/i]by Farley Mowat next.

Just posted my review of Orson Scott Card's upcoming novella, [i]Stonefather[/i]. It acts as a sort of prequel to his new fantasy series to be published by Del Rey. But if the novella is a good reflection of what the series will be like, it's going to be a hell of a stinker. . .

I'm now reading Zafon's [i]The Shadow of the Wind[/i], and I'm loving it!

Flying to Finland tomorrow morning! :)

Patrick

I finished [b]The Electric Church[/b] by [i]Jeff Somers
[/i]
Although nothing extraordinary it is great fun to read. Easy going, short, action-packed futuristic thriller. It lucks some depth which is compensated by fast pacing story, a couple of interesting characters, good ideas and the most interesting(and somewhat disturbing) part of the book - Appendix [EXTRACTS FROM THE MULQER CODEX]. The future doesn't seem too bright!
6-7 out of 10.

There is a follow up book to this story, [b]The Digital Plague[/b]. Most likely I will read it too.
I liked this book a lot more than Black Man/Thirteen by Richard Morgan.

Now, back to [u]epic fantasy[/u]. [b]Child of Flame[/b] [Crown of Stars 4] by [i]Kate Elliott[/i].

[quote name='pat5150' post='1420206' date='Jun 29 2008, 13.20']Just posted my review of Orson Scott Card's upcoming novella, [i]Stonefather[/i]. It acts as a sort of prequel to his new fantasy series to be published by Del Rey. But if the novella is a good reflection of what the series will be like, it's going to be a hell of a stinker. . .

I'm now reading Zafon's [i]The Shadow of the Wind[/i], and I'm loving it!

Flying to Finland tomorrow morning! :)

Patrick[/quote]

If you had hated Zafón, I was going to completely disown you, Pat! :P Glad to hear that you're enjoying it. Wait until next year, as the prequel/sequel, [i]The Angel's Game[/i], might be even better. At least I thought it was, with an even more chilling ending.

I've finished two books recently. [u]The Inferior[/u] by Peadar Ó Guilin on Thursday, and [u]The Wheelman[/u] by Duane Swierczynski yesterday.

[b][u]The Inferior[/u] by Peadar Ó Guilin[/b] is a look into a very harsh world where it is eat or be eaten. The main character is Stopmouth who sees himself as [i]inferior[/i] to his brother Wallbreaker. Both are very interesting characters, and with Stopmouth as the POV character we get to see his character develop greatly, and we get to see Wallbreaker oscillate between hero and villain in Stopmouth's eyes. This is the first book in a trilogy, but the story stand well on its own (in fact, I've read "completed" stories that have much more left open than this one *cough*[u]Brasyl[/u]*cough*). The downside is that it is a YA book, and because of that it isn't the most complex storyline and the twists won't be to surprising for adult readers. The quality of character development, the imaginative aliens, and the unique world really exceeded my expectations.

I'll be honest and say that I was a little worried going into this one with Peadar being such a cool guy on the board, but he really delivers with this book! :thumbsup: Highly recommended, and I cannot wait to read the next one :cheers:

[b]8/10[/b]

[u][b]The Wheelman[/u] by Duane Swierczynski[/b] is a gripping thrill ride about a Philadelphia bank heist gone wrong. Our protagonist is Lennon a mute Irish getaway driver who makes for a very interesting character, the heist goes so wrong that not only are the cops after Lennon, but so is an ex-cops looking for a piece of the take, and the Russian and Italian mobs would like to get their hands on the loot as well. I'm not an avid reader of crime fiction, but it is a great way to break up the doldrums the too much back-to-back fantasy can cause. As others have stated (and why I purchased this particular book), fans of Charlie Huston will enjoy Swierczynski. The book is quite violent, in several cases unexpectedly so, and this may turnoff some readers.

This quote is from the "about the author" blurb at the end of the book :stunned:

[quote]A receipt for [u]This Here's a Stickup[/u], Duane's nonfiction book on American bank robbery, was found in the getaway car of a San Francisco bandit who'd hit at least thirty California banks[/quote]

So, I guess that means the book should have a bit of realism to it :P

If you're looking for something different than your normal SFF [u]The Wheelman[/u] is worth checking out. Recommended.

[b]7/10[/b]

I've now started Toby Barlow's [u]Sharp Teeth[/u].

[quote name='Werthead' post='1419412' date='Jun 28 2008, 12.03']Definitely the reverse:

SPOILER: TTH
Traveller and Kallor show up in TTH fresh from their adventures in RotCG. I'm not 100% sure yet, but a pretty major, seismic plot event from RotCG you should read fresh I think slips out later on.
[/quote]

DO NOT READ RETURN after TOLL. A HUGEEEEE spoiler in Toll is said in passing.

SPOILER: RETURNOFTHECRIMSONGUARD
Ereko is killed by Kallor, and Kallor reflects on this moment in a passing muse.

A TTH spoiler is also in Return though that is not minor, but not as major as the return spoiler:

SPOILER: TTHandReturn
We know that Skinner is the king in chains from the epilogue of Return, so the events about grabbing the throne are spoiled

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1420227' date='Jun 29 2008, 20.07']I'll be honest and say that I was a little worried going into this one with Peadar being such a cool guy on the board, but he really delivers with this book![/quote]

Thanks, REG. Likewise :)

I just finished Fangland by John Marks, which is supposed to be a modern retelling of the original Dracula. I thought it was rather boring and filled with dreadful, uninteresting characters.

about a week ago I read Charlie Huston's Half the Blood of Brooklyn, which I really enjoyed. As much as I like his books generally, I do find myself wishing they were a little more detailed and fleshed out. They are kinda like reading graphic novels, straight and to the point. There was one plot point that I just didn't get, though...
SPOILER: bjt
why did Joe try and strangle Evie once she was turned at the Enclave? That seemed odd to me.

The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie

Beautiful book which keeps you at a distance and paints a picture for you rather than allowing you to engage with the characters and environments. It still managed to draw my in and make me care while maintaining that distance. A master at work.

I just finished Kethani by Eric Brown. A subtle, often moving sci-fi novel that looks at the implications for mankind after an alien race offer the gift of eternal life. Plenty of philosophy in there to underpin the story. Good stuff.

You can check out the review [url="http://speculativehorizons.blogspot.com/2008/06/book-review-kthani.html"]here[/url].

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1420227' date='Jun 29 2008, 15.07']I've finished two books recently. [u]The Inferior[/u] by Peadar Ó Guilin on Thursday, and [u]The Wheelman[/u] by Duane Swierczynski yesterday.

[b][u]The Inferior[/u] by Peadar Ó Guilin[/b] is a look into a very harsh world where it is eat or be eaten. The main character is Stopmouth who sees himself as [i]inferior[/i] to his brother Wallbreaker. Both are very interesting characters, and with Stopmouth as the POV character we get to see his character develop greatly, and we get to see Wallbreaker oscillate between hero and villain in Stopmouth's eyes. This is the first book in a trilogy, but the story stand well on its own (in fact, I've read "completed" stories that have much more left open than this one *cough*[u]Brasyl[/u]*cough*). The downside is that it is a YA book, and because of that it isn't the most complex storyline and the twists won't be to surprising for adult readers. The quality of character development, the imaginative aliens, and the unique world really exceeded my expectations.

I'll be honest and say that I was a little worried going into this one with Peadar being such a cool guy on the board, but he really delivers with this book! :thumbsup: Highly recommended, and I cannot wait to read the next one :cheers:

[b]8/10[/b][/quote]

Good news, as that is near the top of my TBR pile! :)

About to finish Neal Stephenson's [i]Quicksilver[/i] (enjoyable) and start reading my just-arrived signed copy of Gene Wolfe's [i]Memorare[/i]. Been waiting almost a year for this one.

[quote name='BJT' post='1421196' date='Jun 30 2008, 10.57']There was one plot point that I just didn't get, though...
SPOILER: bjt
why did Joe try and strangle Evie once she was turned at the Enclave? That seemed odd to me.
[/quote]
My take on that was...

SPOILER: Half the Blood of Brooklyn
he had a bit of crisis of conscious like "What have I done?!" Remember, he himself didn't have a choice in becoming a vampire. He brought Evie to the Enclave out of some last-ditch desperate hope and the Enclave people aren't exactly sane either even by vampire standards. He kind of freaked out when he realized what Evie would probably become.

[quote name='beniowa' post='1421446' date='Jun 30 2008, 12.55']My take on that was...[/quote]
Thanks Beniowa, I think thats a good reading of the situation. I wondered if that was the case. But given that there is no information in the text about what is going on in his head at that moment, we can only assume that is what he was thinking. This is a good example of why I think Huston could actually add more detail to these books. If Joe did freak out at that moment, surely he'd have those thoughts and ideas rolling around in his brain! well, I would at least. :unsure:

Archived