The Sworn Sword Graphic Novel

Werthead

That's odd. One of the people on the ASoIaF Facebook group reported they got hold of a copy of [i]The Sworn Sword[/i] in hardcover today from a comics shop in Canada. Amazon lists it as not coming out until 2 July, and I remember even that was in doubt due to Marvel taking over the project from Dabel Brothers. Anyone else seen a copy?

I also found the last couple of issues of the comic version in my local comic shop, the first I'd seen of it, and as I expected those people from the board who helped out in an advisory position on the book didn't get credited. Which is a shame as I know the other people put a fair bit of work into the project and were discussing things with the artists and writers for weeks on end (my contribution was a single Word document on the locations in the book knocked up in about five hours max), making sure details were just right. I'm guessing this is also a consequence of the hand-over to Marvel comics?

Can also anyone remember what colour Dunk's eyes are? Apparently they change at random throughout the grapic novel.

Do you know if there will be extras in the graphic novel compared to the serial comics, as there was with The Hedge Knight?

As to your question about Dunk's eyes... I can't recall their color being mentioned, no. Then again, it's been a while since I last read THK or TSS.

I think we finished off our side of work with issue 3 or 4 of the series, so there's really no reason for us to be credited after that. It was a shame that they decided not to use essentially free proof-readers, but there you go.

The hardcover is definitely out in the direct market. I think I recently saw a reference to this somewhere else.

The Sworn Sword is in stock at most book distributors. Not sure why Amazon is showing a July 2nd release date; however, you can order and have it shipped within 24 hours from [url="http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=4135791856273&isbn=0785126503"]Books-A-Million[/url].

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Mike S. Miller' post='1500948' date='Aug 31 2008, 05.02']Hey folks,

I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd drop in and see if anyone was interested in having a commission done.

Also, my litho is still available: [url="http://firebrandfantasyart.com/forsale/001.html"]http://firebrandfantasyart.com/forsale/001.html[/url]

Thanks,
Mike[/quote]

Mike,

how do you handle doing commissioned work? can the buyer retain the rights to redistribute the work? can you do work that bears resemblance to existing fantasy characters? I sing for a heavy metal band or two and with cover art by Mike S. Miller on one of our releases, we'd be sure to sell more disks :)

Let me know.

-Robb Graves

[quote name='SkyPirate' post='1406747' date='Jun 19 2008, 22.48']Does anybody know when the paperback will hit the market?[/quote]

I've seen 21 Jan '09 listed online and I hope that's accurate. I dislike hardcovers, especially when it comes to reading graphic novels, but I'd really like to have Sworn Sword next to my Hedge Knight paperback.

[quote name='Robb of Winterfell' post='1503219' date='Sep 2 2008, 10.36']Mike,

how do you handle doing commissioned work? can the buyer retain the rights to redistribute the work? can you do work that bears resemblance to existing fantasy characters? I sing for a heavy metal band or two and with cover art by Mike S. Miller on one of our releases, we'd be sure to sell more disks :)

Let me know.

-Robb Graves[/quote]

Well, there's commissions, which usually run $150 for a single figure, and then there is work-for-hire, where you don't get the original, but you purchase the right to publish.

As long as I'm not drawing something from a previously published design that has been copyrighted, making my own version of a fantasy character is just that, my own version.

What you're asking for would be considerably more expensive than a commission. Email me at mike(a)abacuscomics.com if you want to discuss.

Thanks,
Mike

Archived