Footyball!

DJDonegal

So yeah, I just figured there's a lot of football stuff that has nothing to do with the Euro Cup Tourney, and noticed the last general football thread had closed over a week ago. So basically, first piece of news, now that Portugal are done with the tournament, Ronaldo seems ready to finally reveal to the world what he plans to do this summer:

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7463439.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...utd/7463439.stm[/url]

The other interesting speculation at the moment is that Mourinho has shown interest in rejoining forces with players that he has managed in the past including Drogba, Lampard and Deco.

I think that Drogba is the one most likely to be lured to Inter out of the two Chelsea players. I'm not sure about Deco.

I think with Guardiola saying that Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Deco can all leave (see [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7459340.stm"]here[/url] for further info) then it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that Deco will join up again with his old manager.

And while looking for that story I saw that [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7463895.stm"]AC Milan are trying to begin formal talks with Arsenal[/url] for the sale of Adebayor.

Everybody knows Drogba would leave given the chance. I think Abromovich, meddling owner that he is, might decide that if Chelsea can't win anything substantial with Drogba leading the front line (as they won nothing this season and only the FA Cup last season) then he might meddle again and demand a new frontline with his good friend Shevchenko actually getting some games. They might not demand as much as you might think.

But then again, this is all guess work. I just know if Abramovich gets his away Drogs will be out the door and Shevvy will be the main man.

Oh the irony.

[quote]Ronaldo said he made up his mind before the Champions League final that he wanted to leave United for Real.

And he revealed that Luiz Felipe Scolari, about to take over at Chelsea after Portugal's exit from Euro 2008, advised him to make the move.[/quote]

Well he would do that wouldn't hey? If I became coach of Chelsea and I had a chance to whisper in Ronaldo's ear that he should go to Madrid then I'd do it as well. Makes life so much easier for Phil.

Man U maintains that they won't let him go. Sir Alex to speak with CR this week. I'm usually of the opinion that if a player really wants to go the club should let him but I feel different in this particular case. The stakes are simply very high. He has a fine contract with Man U which he could probably get improved even more. Let's hope they can keep him and that Ronaldo will do his job for another year. Man U needs Ronaldo and it isn't like they can just replace him with a player of similar calibre.

Re: The Barca article

I'm not surprised they are letting Ronaldinho go, or Deco. Letting Eto'o go so clearly surprises me though. He has done very well for them in recent years. So he had a bad season last year, he could still bounce back from that given his age and talent. Instead they choose to let Henry stay and find a partner upfront for him and Bojan. They've already sold Giovanni.

Cali,

I had the exact same thought when I saw that Big Phil had told Ronaldo it was a good moment for him to go to Real Madrid. I would have thought Ronaldo might have had enough intelligence to consider this possibility, but then I would be wrong, it seems.

The Ronaldo stuff is mildy amusing. But what would really make me happy would be Abramovich realising he is bored with football and leaving Chelsea, taking his cash with him. It took a while but I am finally sick of Chelski.

[quote name='Isis' post='1409326' date='Jun 21 2008, 10.56']The Ronaldo stuff is mildy amusing. But what would really make me happy would be Abramovich realising he is bored with football and leaving Chelsea, taking his cash with him. It took a while but I am finally sick of Chelski.[/quote]

That would be the greatest thing that ever happened in the history of football. I lie awake at night dreaming of Chelsea in ruins.

[quote name='Slick Mongoose' post='1409332' date='Jun 21 2008, 09.11']That would be the greatest thing that ever happened in the history of football. I lie awake at night dreaming of Chelsea in ruins.[/quote]
You do that too?

[quote name='Isis' post='1409326' date='Jun 21 2008, 04.56']The Ronaldo stuff is mildy amusing. But what would really make me happy would be Abramovich realising he is bored with football and leaving Chelsea, taking his cash with him. It took a while but I am finally sick of Chelski.[/quote]
I can't remember where I read it, but apparently Roman has only loaned Chelsea his money for all their big transfers. If he leaves and wants to be repaid, Chelsea is in serious trouble. Hello League Two!!

You must find where you read this. It would keep me in a good mood for 3 months. At least.

I've been away for a few days so I haven't heard much. Just catching up...

Unfortunately, I've now read Chelski are going to bid for Adebayor. Can't see Adebayor following Cashley to the blue side of London. I might be sick if it happens. And I think it would signal the exit for Drogba as well. Seems though that Ade might want to leave for somewhere - I see Barca are interested as well? And Flamini has left for Milan who aren't even in the Champs Lg next season!?

Bah.

At least our opening 3 games look like we should get 9 points and a healthy start (and, hopefully, some early confidence) with West Brom, Fulham and Newcastle to play. After that it's Blackburn who can be tricky - but that was with Mark Hughes at the helm, so hopefully Paul Ince turns out to be rubbish for them.

Actually, then it's Bolton, Hull and Sunderland. I wouldn't be amazingly shocked if we ended up with 21 points from those 7 games. I'd take 19, though.

Its gotten to the stage with Adebayor like it did with Cole that Arsenal would be better to dump him off onto a different club and bring in a different striker thats less likely to have the hiss fits that Adebayor is well known for.

Archived