MLB Thread

Caliban

[quote name='efendi 'in kemik' post='1410955' date='Jun 22 2008, 19.50']The Giants blew a [i]seven run lead[/i] to lose to the Royals. The fucking [i]Royals[/i].

LET'S GO GI-ANTS *clap clap clapclapclap* :bang:[/quote]

This proves that the Royals are obviously in the wrong league. They're what, 7-2 against National League teams this year?

[quote name='Scuba Steve' post='1410975' date='Jun 22 2008, 22.29']This proves that the Royals are obviously in the wrong league. They're what, 7-2 against National League teams this year?[/quote]

Well, if MLB wants to trade the Missouri teams and send KC to the Senior Circuit and pack St. Louis off to the AL, then I won't complain. ;)

My Mariners are the worst team in baseball. We finally fired our horrible GM, Bill Bavasi, and our candy-ass manager, John McClaren. What now? More losing and hopefully we blow the team up but manage to keep Felix Hernandez...which we won't be able to do.

Go Mariners!

[quote name='Inkdaub' post='1411157' date='Jun 23 2008, 05.34']My Mariners are the worst team in baseball. We finally fired our horrible GM, Bill Bavasi, and our candy-ass manager, John McClaren. What now? More losing and hopefully we blow the team up but manage to keep Felix Hernandez...which we won't be able to do.

Go Mariners![/quote]

At least Jeff Clement hit a HR :)

Geez. Friggin' Cubs. When did they decide that Wrigley was a good place for them to win? They need to get back on the road! Now.

And, c'mon Rick Ankiel. That Coco Crisp lazy fly to center was a can of corn! Overrunning it was quite single-A of you. Missed opportunities in extras aside, that gaffe in the outfield changed the game. Missed the sweep of the Sawx by [b]that[/b] much.

:bang:

[quote name='The Wedge' post='1411254' date='Jun 23 2008, 07.44']Geez. Friggin' Cubs. When did they decide that Wrigley was a good place for them to win? They need to get back on the road! Now.

And, c'mon Rick Ankiel. That Coco Crisp lazy fly to center was a can of corn! Overrunning it was quite single-A of you. Missed opportunities in extras aside, that gaffe in the outfield changed the game. Missed the sweep of the Sawx by [b]that[/b] much.[/quote]

What's remarkable is that this is the first time in, what?, 2 weeks the Cubs and Cardinals haven't mirrored each other for the day so there was actual movement in the standings? And I think I heard that the 4 1/2 game lead the Cubs have in first is the largest first place lead they've had in the division since 2000. That's insane and speaks to the staying power of the Cardinals right now.

[quote name='efendi 'in kemik' post='1410955' date='Jun 22 2008, 22.50']The Giants blew a [i]seven run lead[/i] to lose to the Royals. The fucking [i]Royals[/i].

LET'S GO GI-ANTS *clap clap clapclapclap* :bang:[/quote]

And they did it with Tim freakin' Lincecum on the mound. That takes extraordinary skill. Least I now feel confident that Yabu is infact, the mole.

[quote name='Jaime Kazansky' post='1411325' date='Jun 23 2008, 10.02']And they did it with Tim freakin' Lincecum on the mound. That takes extraordinary skill. Least I now feel confident that Yabu is infact, the mole.[/quote]

Tiny Tim was at his worst against the Royals. He gave up 5 runs in 5 innings (something like that). That's unheard of for him. Fortunately for him, he's been absolutely lights out the rest of the year so his ERA is still something like 2.60.

It wasn't Lincecum's best game, for sure, but with ten runs out of that offense, they have to win that game, even if Zito started and gave up 5 in the first. The bullpen shit their pants, and then ate it.

[quote name='The Wedge' post='1411254' date='Jun 23 2008, 05.44']Geez. Friggin' Cubs. When did they decide that Wrigley was a good place for them to win? They need to get back on the road! Now.[/quote]

I think they did it just to spite the Cardinals. :box: :P

[url="http://mlb.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20080623&content_id=2990970&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=away"]Hey, I guess if AL pitchers are going[/url] to have to hit in NL parks and run the bases, the safest way to do it is hit a first pitch grand slam off of one of the best pitchers in the last 10 years...apparently it's safer than playing the field for them...

[quote name='El Jax Campeador' post='1412475' date='Jun 23 2008, 19.57'][url="http://mlb.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20080623&content_id=2990970&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=away"]Hey, I guess if AL pitchers are going[/url] to have to hit in NL parks and run the bases, the safest way to do it is hit a first pitch grand slam off of one of the best pitchers in the last 10 years...apparently it's safer than playing the field for them...[/quote]
That's just tragic. I hope this is a wake up call to the league, and they finally instate the Designated Fielder rule. I'm sick and fucking tired of seeing these pitchers' safety compromised.

[quote name='Marko Triskelic' post='1412569' date='Jun 23 2008, 21.08']I watched that freak of a pitcher at UW in the Pac-10. Giants got a good one. Takes the sting off that Zito signing...a little.[/quote]
Well, at least the've got one thing to be proud of.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1411234' date='Jun 23 2008, 05.26']At least Jeff Clement hit a HR :)[/quote]

True, true. Clement is one of the youngsters we need to make room for permanently. Kenji is fine but we need Clement in there as the everyday guy.

We took Brandon Morrow and left Lincecum on the board. I'm hoping Brandon continues to improve and makes it worth it...but I doubt it. Lincecum is a beast of a starter and we won't even let Brandon out of the pen.

[quote name='Inkdaub' post='1412846' date='Jun 24 2008, 07.59']True, true. Clement is one of the youngsters we need to make room for permanently. Kenji is fine but we need Clement in there as the everyday guy.

We took Brandon Morrow and left Lincecum on the board. I'm hoping Brandon continues to improve and makes it worth it...but I doubt it. Lincecum is a beast of a starter and we won't even let Brandon out of the pen.[/quote]

Clement will get every day play. Supposedly he'll start 3-4 out of the 5-6 games a week at catcher and prob DH the rest. He's up for good, especially now that he's starting to hit some. And a good thing too. He's a beast.

As for Morrow, I don't think it was a bad move. The guy has some pretty nasty stuff, throws hard and has the potential to be an awesome starter. Given your closer woes this year, it's good that he's in the pen. However next year, he'll start. They'll stretch him out during spring training instead of doing what the Yankees did for Joba this year. There is no need to risk an injury with him as they're not in contention.

I remember Clement from USC. Hes gonna hit. Its not uncommon for Catchers to break out offensively a little late. This has been his first remarkable minor league season. I call it the Geo Soto effect. You are allowed to have a few average seasons at the plate in the minors if you are a catcher under the age of 265 and still retain major prospect status. Then you can have a huge minor league season and break out in the majors.

Archived