MLB Thread

Caliban

I believe that there was an error on the part of the umpires (if this is the same clip I saw on ESPN). I remember reading a rule someplace that if a switch hitter faces a switch pitcher that the pitcher is required to declare his side first and the hitter can adjust. I always thought it backwards - that the hitter should have to declare first.

[quote name='Cristiano Bronnaldo' post='1413306' date='Jun 24 2008, 14.42']I believe that there was an error on the part of the umpires (if this is the same clip I saw on ESPN). I remember reading a rule someplace that if a switch hitter faces a switch pitcher that the pitcher is required to declare his side first and the hitter can adjust. I always thought it backwards - that the hitter should have to declare first.[/quote]

It's probably the same clip. I can't imagine this happening more than once. I have no idea what would happen cause I've never seen that before.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1413311' date='Jun 24 2008, 14.44']It's probably the same clip. I can't imagine this happening more than once. I have no idea what would happen cause I've never seen that before.[/quote]

What kills me about that clip is that there's two outs in the bottom of the 9th in a 7-2 ballgame... in short-season A ball! Was there really a need for all the theatrics? It is pretty damn funny, though.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1413362' date='Jun 24 2008, 13.12']What kills me about that clip is that there's two outs in the bottom of the 9th in a 7-2 ballgame... in short-season A ball! Was there really a need for all the theatrics? It is pretty damn funny, though.[/quote]
Usually the theatrics are in the stands at A ball games.

Or on the field in between innings when they have people put their noses on bats, spin around a bunch of times and then try to run to first base. Now that's entertainment!

I'm guessing this lefty/righty/lefty/righty deal is great P.R. for the Brooklyn and Staten Island teams and they don't mind paying for it with a little 6 minute delay.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1413840' date='Jun 24 2008, 23.39']The pitcher should declare his arm. That whole thing was a joke. That pitcher will never, ever be a good pro.[/quote]

I have this sudden hope that the switch-pitcher finds himself traded into the Cubs organization. Can you imagine the Caliban posts in a few years' time? I sure can, and it's going to bring me great amusement.

Just messing with you, Caliban. No hard feelings. Sorry about that 14-game home winning streak coming to an end, too.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1413902' date='Jun 24 2008, 23.52']Sorry about that 14-game home winning streak coming to an end, too.[/quote]

Was a shame for sure. Especially after loading them with nobody dead in the 9th. Cedeno, Fuku, and Blanco looked like absolute infants from there on out. No worries. Jim Edmonds might be the best hitter ive ever seen. Go Jimmy Ballgame.

ETA: Ill give you tonights win, considering you fools could have fleeced our system for Roberts and Payton. Really stupid on Angelos part (and i guess McFails). You could have both Marshal and Gallgher in your rotation and have Cedeno at short and Murton in left.

And hilariously, you guys wanted Pie and Hill, and we wouldnt give them. As it stands now, Murton, Cedeno, Gallagher and Marshall are contributing to the big league club, Pie and Hill are both not even active minor leaguers (hill is getting a 'mental break', pie has sucked and is hurt) and Derosa is outplaying Roberts.

Just shows how stupid both franchises are.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1413909' date='Jun 25 2008, 00.56']Was a shame for sure. Especially after loading them with nobody dead in the 9th. Cedeno, Fuku, and Blanco looked like absolute infants from there on out. No worries. Jim Edmonds might be the best hitter ive ever seen. Go Jimmy Ballgame.[/quote]

That 9th inning was a pain to watch for both of us, I have to figure. I like George Sherrill because he's mostly gotten the job done this year and he has the flat-brimmed cap which creates an interesting shtick for him and then for the entire team after a successful save... but there's no such thing as a 1-2-3 9th inning with the guy, it seems like. Loading the bases with nobody out and then striking out the side was just ludicrous.

I hope Seattle is liking Erik Bedard.

Oh, wait... they don't. :D

ETA: Well, if we're going to trash-talk a little, I'll take Brian Roberts over any of the weak shit you've got in your farm system. Why would I need Murton in left when we plucked Luke Scott out of Houston with all of his Bible verses and guns? Gallagher and Marshall? Please. In a couple days' time you're going to get to see the glory of Nostradhames Liz and you'll be crying in your drinks wishing that you could have that kind of pitching prospect in your stable. I'm not going to lie though, at least a serviceable major league shortstop would be pretty nice at this point. I've had enough of Alex Cintron and all the other flotsam that we've tossed out there so far this season.

I'm not very good at this, I'm not even sure I believe half of what I just wrote.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1413919' date='Jun 25 2008, 00.06']I hope Seattle is liking Erik Bedard.

Oh, wait... they don't. :D[/quote]

[i]As if that weren't enough, Bedard also hasn't been accountable to his bosses, the media or the fans. Asked specifically if he had an answer why Bedard couldn't go longer than 100 pitches, Bavasi snapped.

"You gotta ask him," Bavasi told the Times. "You gotta ask him. Good luck. And he's gonna have some stupid answer."[/i]

Bill Bavasi is a fucking jerkoff. The Sexson deal and the Ichiro deal are equally bad. Now, just months after going balls out to get Bedard, he starts bitching about him after he loses his job (rightfully loses). Scout the guy. Thats your job.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1413922' date='Jun 25 2008, 01.11'][i]As if that weren't enough, Bedard also hasn't been accountable to his bosses, the media or the fans. Asked specifically if he had an answer why Bedard couldn't go longer than 100 pitches, Bavasi snapped.

"You gotta ask him," Bavasi told the Times. "You gotta ask him. Good luck. And he's gonna have some stupid answer."[/i]

Bill Bavasi is a fucking jerkoff. The Sexson deal and the Ichiro deal are equally bad. Now, just months after going balls out to get Bedard, he starts bitching about him after he loses his job (rightfully loses). Scout the guy. Thats your job.[/quote]

There's two things that kill me about his bitching about this. The first is that he could have basically read any article written in the Baltimore Sun after Bedard pitches to get some idea that Bedard is going to have a "stupid answer" with the media. I mean, hell, there was an interleague game last year where he basically checked out of the game after 6 innings because he got winded after running from first to third.

The second thing is why does Bavasi get so worked up about 100 pitches? It seems like hardly anybody goes for more than 100 pitches these days except for real horses like Halladay or something. It's just that the better pitchers make their 100-ish pitches last for more innings than the ones who are mediocre. Bedard was pretty much a 5-6 IP and he hit his 100 for most of the time he was up in Baltimore but then he had about one and a half good, really dominant seasons where he was striking a lot of guys out and for that he really got overvalued and overhyped and now we've got Dr. Jones here in Baltimore along with Sherrill and a couple guys who are in A-AA who could be really damn good in a couple more years. It's exciting for once.

Bavasi's firing almost makes this wreck of a season worth it.

We have been doing well against the Mets, though. Johjima is hitting and even Richie showed up at the plate. Felix Hernandez hit a Grand Slam! That's how bad the M's are...it takes the pitcher hitting a grand slam to win. Now Felix is in a walking boot.

Yeah, Morrow will be fine and I'm pleased with the pick. I still love Lincecum, though.

We get Bedard and Baltimore gets Jones and Sherrill. I cannot like that trade. Jones was one of the young guys we needed up here playing everyday. Ibanez can be the DH and the outfield could have been Ichiro, Reed, Jones. Sherrill was a great reliever...is...who can get the lefties out in his sleep. Bedard is a mediocre pitcher with a bad attitude.

Sherrill has the flatbrim cap, it's true, but we still have Felix who wears his cap crooked...and hits grand slams! Yeah, that's all I got.

[quote name='The Wedge' post='1414153' date='Jun 25 2008, 07.17']:stunned:

Did I just read what I thought I read?[/quote]

Yeah. Me too. I haven't had any coffee yet so I had to do a double take there.

Now, it will be interesting, once again, to see how the Cubs react today after the loss last night. And it was a rough loss. :cry:

[quote name='El Jax Campeador' post='1414232' date='Jun 25 2008, 08.40']Now, it will be interesting, once again, to see how the Cubs react today after the loss last night. And it was a rough loss. :cry:[/quote]

Awesomely. Edmondsly.

Thats the best Kerry Wood has been, just straight dominating fools while hitting 98, since october '03 or April 98. Damnit Kerry, I love you, I fucking love you. Youve been there for me since i was 13 years old. Throught he crazy run ive had this last 10 years, you have been the constant, constantly firing unhittable gas and sliders that bite like a T Rex. If Jesus inheritted a lead in the 9th, id imagine hed close a game like you, by shredding chedder past foolish looking Oriales while a legion of followers chant his name. But Wood is humler then Christ ever was, because Christ told people how awesom e he was, Kerry just blows it by hitters and says 'you decide'. Wood is awesome. Kid K is back in a big way. He is so insanely good it scares me. So insanely unhittable. Not even Dusty Baker could stop his career. He is special. I love you Kerry. Your wife is beautiful, and your charity bowling event at ten pin shows that you are pious as well as dominating on the hill.

This is not just anecdotal. His WHIP is .84, hes got 50 Ks in 40 innings, he has closed 10 straight victories. If he is high on the gun, he is unhittable. Hes got more gas then Nicor, and more heat then Glen Frey. Hes got more cheese then a cow, and more sliders then Harold and Kumar. Hes got more speed then cocain, and more Ks then Nathan Bedford Forest. He owns hitters.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1415498' date='Jun 25 2008, 22.08']Kerry Wood has some sick high heat.[/quote]

Damn you beat me to it, but this post lacked mine's desciptiveness.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1415517' date='Jun 25 2008, 23.26']Damn you beat me to it, but this post lacked mine's desciptiveness.[/quote]

Well, there's a reason why you're you and I'm me. I have to hand it to you though, that shit he was throwing tonight was just sick. The 3rd strike to end the game, it was so obvious that was going to be a high fastball that just blew by the batter. You could even see the catcher setting up the glove so high he practically had to stand up, and still he had to swing at it because it was just that sick.

I hope we are ahead going into the 9th tomorrow because I sure as hell would not want to see him out on the mound against the Os again after that destruction that happened tonight.

Archived