MLB Thread

Caliban

Fantastic trade for the Yanks.

They gave up Ohlendorf, Tabata and 2 other obscure prospects for Xavier Nady and Marte. Ohlendorf has never panned out and every time I see him in the game, I feel like he'll give up 3 runs. Tabata is a very good prospect but young with an attitude problem and wrist issues. I don't know who the other two guys are but they're long shots.

So in making that trade, the Yanks shore up their bullpen with a LHP to go along with Ramirez and Robertson. They also add a rotating OF/DH in Nady that can help their lineup. And they're hot.

AL East, here we come.

That was the worst end of a game I've ever seen. Awful, awful calls in the ninth by the umpire in the Red Sox game. So bad that Mike Lowell was so livid he got himself tossed and I've NEVER seen him like that before. The pitch was closer to hitting Lowell than being a strike. What a load of shit.

And Joba is a punk bitch. Threw at Youkilis' head again. Now I wish Youk slid into his knee when he had the chance at home plate in the last series.

I only saw the last two innings, but I thought the 3rd strike on Lowell was OK; I wasn't so sure about the 1st strike, though, which is why I think he got so mad; if the ump is gonna give Rivera slack on the outside, he's gotta cut Lowell some slack on the inside. Lowell was crowded up pretty close to the plate.

They have a 'K-Zone' type thing on Sox broadcasts and that pitch was so far inside that it didn't even register on it. No offense, but you weren't watching very closely if you thought it was remotely near the strike zone. That was the call that Lowell went nuts over and he should have.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1456894' date='Jul 25 2008, 20.44']Fantastic trade for the Yanks.

They gave up Ohlendorf, Tabata and 2 other obscure prospects for Xavier Nady and Marte. Ohlendorf has never panned out and every time I see him in the game, I feel like he'll give up 3 runs. Tabata is a very good prospect but young with an attitude problem and wrist issues. I don't know who the other two guys are but they're long shots.

So in making that trade, the Yanks shore up their bullpen with a LHP to go along with Ramirez and Robertson. They also add a rotating OF/DH in Nady that can help their lineup. And they're hot.

AL East, here we come.[/quote]
Posted something about this in the Fantasy page.

Tabata is supposed to be really good even with the wrist issues and McCutchen is supposed to be a good prospect that was discussed as being brought up instead of Giese or Igawa so he should be close to major league ready. I like Nady but it seems like a lot to give up for him and Marte. And I guess this means the end of the Melky Cabrera era when (if) Matsui comes back.

Edited to add:
Wow, Franklin blew another save. I guess they can't wait for Wainwright to come back.

If anyone wants to send the Giants a hotdog for Tyler Walker, he's there for the taking. Actually, they'd probably do it for an empty hotdog wrapper. Watching him blow the win for Lincecum was painful tonight. One of those 'you know he's going to implode from the instant you see him running in from the pen' kind of outings.

[quote name='grozeng' post='1457722' date='Jul 26 2008, 22.45']Posted something about this in the Fantasy page.

Tabata is supposed to be really good even with the wrist issues and McCutchen is supposed to be a good prospect that was discussed as being brought up instead of Giese or Igawa so he should be close to major league ready. I like Nady but it seems like a lot to give up for him and Marte. And I guess this means the end of the Melky Cabrera era when (if) Matsui comes back.

Edited to add:
Wow, Franklin blew another save. I guess they can't wait for Wainwright to come back.[/quote]

When I posted all that, I didn't know McCutchen was part of the deal. I heard it was Kontes and someone else. No one really important in our farm system.

McCutchen is a solid prospect but he doesn't have a high ceiling. He's a 4th starter type of guy and while he's solid, he's not a guy that'll wow anyone. Tabata has a very high ceiling but he's hurt, young and a head case. He won't be ready for the majors for another 2-3 years.

I like the trade.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1457838' date='Jul 27 2008, 02.58']When I posted all that, I didn't know McCutchen was part of the deal. I heard it was Kontes and someone else. No one really important in our farm system.

McCutchen is a solid prospect but he doesn't have a high ceiling. He's a 4th starter type of guy and while he's solid, he's not a guy that'll wow anyone.[/quote]
So like, the new ace for the Pirates? :P

[quote name='Chriskele' post='1458196' date='Jul 27 2008, 11.31']ETA: Jaxom - Someone on Baseball Tonight said that the Brewers have a huge schedule advantage for the rest of the year.[/quote]
Yeah. I think they only have a couple of games left with teams over .500.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3507249"]Omar does LOOOOOOVE Manny[/url]

It almost happened a few years back...Mets need a corner outfielder, especially if Church can't come back...though the way Tatis is playing....

Finally, my Orioles win a game on Sunday. The last game that we won on Sunday was on April 6th. That was 15 straight Sunday losses, long past the point where it's ridiculous.

Just in time for a 9-game road trip. Also, this is the point in the season where the wheels always fall off the cart. I'm not looking forward to this.

[quote name='Chriskele' post='1458196' date='Jul 27 2008, 13.31']ETA: Jaxom - Someone on Baseball Tonight said that the Brewers have a huge schedule advantage for the rest of the year.[/quote]

Still not worried.

My hope, not expectation, but hope, is that the Cubs take CC behind the woodshed tomorrow night and Sheets finds himself with a little shoulder ache somewhere in the middle of the second inning on Tuesday. :P

I feel like a lot of folks here probably boycotted Sunday Night Baseball tonight because it was Yanks-Sox. You shouldn't have, though, because you missed a real gem.

That's right, Joe Morgan was not in the booth.

I think that bears repeating. Joe Morgan, at Cooperstown for HoF shenanigans, was [i]not in the booth[/i]. It was great.

The game was OK, a pretty solid beatdown by the Red Sox, who I actually like less than the Yankees these days, but Jon Lester's pitching performance was excellent... and there was no Joe Morgan.

On Manny being Manny:

Is it okay for him to talk like this about his options? He sounds like he'd refuse to play if the Red Sox picked up their option. What can the teams do with a player that is acting so immaturely about his contract? He's talking really casually about breaching it.
At what point does the MLBPA wash its hands of him?

I love how a team that has been rather dominant has a little slide and everybody freaks out and people from McHenry country start talking shit. Harden has not been fine, Harden has been lights out. 30 Ks in 17 innings and 2 ER. The Cubs had a reletively down month. Whatever. This happens. Soriano and Lee both bsted out yesterday and Aramis's bust out is a matter of time. Coming back from 5 down while struggling will be a nice pickup for these guys as they head innto Milwaukee, which by any metric sucks as a city. Isnt the biggest thing that shit town has for itself Harley Davidson? The city blows. Ive beeen there and it sucks. If work tranfered me to Milwaukee (which would never happen because nothing would ever get outsourced to Milwaukee as its decimated by population decline through sprawl and white flight), Id quit.

Talk about a history of sucking? How about not seeing the postseason for over a quarter century? How about one division title in the franchise history. The Cubs have won 2 in the last five years. The Brewers are just losers, and not even loveable. Everybody talks up Miller, but its a fucking amusement park with a slide in the outfield. At least old county housed the filming of Major League, thats all Brewer Nation (does one of these exist for the handful of Brewers fans in the world?) ever had going for themselves. I dont give a shit about Bob Uecker. He can go to hell. Ron Santo is also a crazed broadcast personality, but at least he was good as a player. Milwaukee sucks. The Brewers suck as a franchise, and yes I will say the CC trade was stupid because in the event you miss the playoffs, you will have given away your best postitional prospect, who is cheaply under team control going forward, for 12-15 starts from CC Sabathia. The Ynkees can do stuff like that because they can buy talent in the offseason, Milwaukee cannot. For team that is obviously not concerned with defensive talent at any position, yes, you could have found a spot for LaPorta. So yes, if a trade in completely dependent on making the postseason for it to range from successful to massively horrid, and you make that trade while in third in the most competitive division in the league, with arguably the leagues best team at the top, you have made a stupid trade.

The Brewers are really bad defensively, and Ned Yost is a confused, bad manager. The team hits but does not get on base exceptionally well. The team has two great pitchers and a good one, but gets week at the bottom. The bullpen is suspect and the manager blows. I actually dont consider Manny Parra that good.

This series is big but not critical. Id like to take 3 but am fine coming home with 2. Marquis got his sucking out of the way yesterday afternoon in a win (we need to release that fuck) and now you'll see Lilly, Demp, Z and Harden. If Lilly goes up there and beats CC tonight, or we hit him hard, that will really set the tone for the last two months. We take your best starter with Lilly throwing and win, and I'll feel pretty good.

Also, please put the ball in play against Harden. I know its hard to do, but just put it in play so he doesnt have to strike everybody out and throw 100 pitches in 6 innings with like 5 baserunners. Thats getting annoying. Maybe the brewers can put it in play so Harden can go 8 innings.

[quote name='Dindale!' post='1459054' date='Jul 28 2008, 10.22']On Manny being Manny:

Is it okay for him to talk like this about his options? He sounds like he'd refuse to play if the Red Sox picked up their option. What can the teams do with a player that is acting so immaturely about his contract? He's talking really casually about breaching it.
At what point does the MLBPA wash its hands of him?[/quote]

He has not yet contacted the Minnesota Vikings as far as I know.

Archived