2008 Beijing Olympics

Teng Ai Hui

I just got done watching a replay of [url="http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2008-07/18/content_6857232.htm"]this game[/url]. And, I was very happy to see Yao Ming on the floor. He was only out there for a short time, but he seemed to be in good form. I'm sure he will be ready to play a full game when it comes time to face the USA Olympic team.

I know that the Olympics don't start for another 3 weeks, but there are still things we can discuss. For example, does [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-soccerussquaddc&prov=reuters&type=lgns"]Brian McBride[/url] deserve to be on the US Olympic football (soccer) team? Shouldn't [url="http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-usasoccer18-2008jul18,0,4584043.story?track=rss"]Landon Donovan[/url] also be on the team? I would mention Abby Wambach's broken leg, but I know only a small handfull of boarder follow women's football.

Do you even plan to watch the Olympics?

Do you think China will win the most gold medals this time? They were 2nd in the gold medal count at Athens 2004. China won 32, and USA won 34.

Gotta say, I'm really pumped for the Olympics this year. Feeling really good about drawing Equatorial Guinea in my Olympic Pool (sleep on 'em at your own peril, world), seeing how U.S. Men's Basketball comes together, watching all the sports I never get to see and barely knew existed. Also be fun to see if Beijing can get Olympic ready in a few days. Feels a little like Detroit trying to turn into Paris over night. Will someone pass out from the pollution? Watch and see!

[quote name='Intercept' post='1447756' date='Jul 20 2008, 13.52']Yeah, I'll be watching them.

And I think China could win more gold medals than us this time.[/quote]

Very possible. The government has pumped a TON of money into athletics. I wish we would do the same.

[quote name='TengAiHui' post='1445344' date='Jul 18 2008, 09.30']Do you even plan to watch the Olympics?[/quote]
Some. Badminton, table tennis, weight-lifting and most of the track events.

[quote]Do you think China will win the most gold medals this time?[/quote]
Without doubt.

On the one hand there are many reasons to boycott viewing anything from these Olympics but on other there are three of the awesome-est names in athletics, ever. [b]Asafa Powell[/b], [b]Hermes[/b] and [b]Usain Bolt[/b]. I hear Hermes' got some passport trouble so may not turn up but 2 out of 3 speed gods ain't bad.

Looking forward to the fireworks (the ones with gunpowder) too. Looks like they've already set off an Olympics worth of fireworks practicing for the opening ceremony.

I'll be watching.. probably a lot more than I should. Definitely men's basketball and almost all track and field events. Also men's and women's water polo, probably gymnastics and weight lifting. And football.

and God knows what else.

[quote name='Sir Thursday' post='1448637' date='Jul 21 2008, 11.17']I'm going to Beijing for them. Only have tickets for one event though, so will probably end up doing a lot of sightseeing...[/quote]

Here in Athens tickets were sold black market style openly in the streets. You might be able to pick up tickets to other events there. I'm not sure what China's policy will be on this but in 2004 you could get a lot of events at face value. The track and field and others went for several times the actual price.

Having watched the Olympics since '68 I'll be watching these too. I'll (hopefully) watch the basketball, football and rowing, among others.

Thankfully Greek TV has great coverage of the Olympics (for obvious reasons) and the time difference won't be [i]too[/i] bad.

men's basketball and the unexplainable attraction that all swimming sports hold over me.

btw the groups for basketball have been drawn

group 1

argentina
australia
iran
lithuania
russia
croatia

group 2

angola
china
spain
usa
germany
greece

Hell yeah, I'll watch the Olympics - I have a new HD TV, I want to maximize its use. I'll watch as many events as I can. I don't care about whether my country (Canada) has a chance of winning in a particular event - I just want to see as much HD greatness as I can.

[quote name='Hereward' post='1448652' date='Jul 21 2008, 10.02']I will watch any sport where Britain is tipped to win a gold medal.[/quote]
I will watch any sport where Ireland is tipped to win a medal. :leaving:

Archived