2008 Beijing Olympics

Teng Ai Hui

I was gonna say, these kind of lavish one-time productions are what dictatorships do well, look at the pyramids ffs, or all of the beautiful things the Soviets built.

I was hoping they would have [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SoPihLdq4"]this group[/url] perform, I definitely recognized the same song in the opening ceremony.

I thought Clinton was a horndog, but was Bush [url="http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080809/D92EQ1S02.html"]copping a feel[/url] from some beach volleyball players?

[quote name='dalThor' post='1473608' date='Aug 9 2008, 03.18']I'm not saying give them handouts. The money could have been used to develop [i]long-term[/i] employment opportunities. As evidenced first-hand here in Athens, once the games concluded all those people (employed for months) were then out of jobs once again.[/quote]

They have so much money they can spend a few 40 billionn dollars on the olympics.

I actually thought the cauldron lighting was the least impressive part of the whole thing, and I couldn't help wondering (jokingly, of course) if the dude got incinerated when the "fuse" went up. Otherwise, that was quite a show, especially since so much of it relied on incredibly precise choreography involving thousands of people.

That ceremony was disgusting.

Particularly that army platoon raising the flags. In short, that's the opposite of the olympic spirit.

Shame on China.

What was the IOC thinking when it gave China the games? It just gave a liberticide regime a free window to the world and a chance to justify themselves internationally.

Disgusting.

Anyway... back to the sports...

I don't know, why did twice as many world leaders attend the event than any previous Olympics? China may put its spin on it, of course, but the general hope is that the international exposure will lead to positive change in China.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

[quote name='Ran' post='1474367' date='Aug 10 2008, 09.03']I don't know, why did twice as many world leaders attend the event than any previous Olympics? China may put its spin on it, of course, but the general hope is that the international exposure will lead to positive change in China.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.[/quote]

It looks a lot more like a justification then a stimulus for change. Considering the massive vilationation of respect for the human dignitity of its own people that China exhibited in the preparation for the events, i seriously doubt that a successful holding of the game will improve the country.

All feel woeful, for mighty Ceska Republika has won golden medal. The time of our olympic dominating is at handing! [url="http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/shooting/story/2008/08/10/olympics-menstrap.html"]View[/url] the gloriousness of David Kostelecky, a great Cesky Heroic Shooter! Next, my main man Roman Sebrle will being destroying all competition in Decathalon. The test of true world-champions, and human achievement! Beware little chinamen, for we shall be stealing your thunder, oh yes! Indeed!

Lament and Be Woeful!

Slava de Ceska Republika!!

[quote name='Tempra' post='1447810' date='Jul 20 2008, 21.14']Very possible. The government has pumped a TON of money into athletics. I wish we would do the same.[/quote]

The US puts more money in to it than the Chinese. What the Chinese have going for them though is sheer numbers and TOTAL commitment. You know 6 year olds being selected for table tennis and from then on living at the national table tennis boarding school. OF course 99% of those players do not get to play for China, but still belong to the best players in the world.

By the way, these children are not forced. It's a great honour to be chosen so they seldom refuse.

We were just reading an article in Sweden discussing how Yao Ming is more or less the product of an unofficial breeding-and-training regimen in which the Chinese government went out of its way to get the most successful male and female atheletes to hook up with one another. Apparently, Ming's parents barely knew each other when they married, but their respective coaches encouraged them and I guess the government sweetened the deal.

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1474351' date='Aug 10 2008, 08.39']That ceremony was disgusting.

Particularly that army platoon raising the flags. In short, that's the opposite of the olympic spirit.

Shame on China.

What was the IOC thinking when it gave China the games? It just gave a liberticide regime a free window to the world and a chance to justify themselves internationally.

Disgusting.

Anyway... back to the sports..r.[/quote]

Your inocence makes me laugh, specially considering the US is just as bad as China.

Btw in China, Athens and I believe in every single olympics it is always a military member which raises the flag.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ApjLtuIWY"]Athens Flag Raising[/url]

Also, Loras is Spanish.

I was really quite indifferent about this at the start; I couldn't get excited at all. Then I watched a couple of events, specifically swimming, and I've managed to get hooked. Really interesting and exciting. I also have a friend on the women's water polo team, so I'll follow that as much as I can.

Just like six-year-olds can't consent to having sex, they also can't consent to the regimented sports training programs which are pretty much child abuse. Besides, it's doubtful they have any say between the recruiters' and their own parents' dreams of glory.

The USOC gets absolutely no funds whatsoever from the United States government.

[quote]Just like six-year-olds can't consent to having sex, they also can't consent to the regimented sports training programs which are pretty much child abuse.[/quote]
Exactly. Ridiculous to say they are "not forced". Admittedly, similar abuse happens throughout the world. But that kind of abuse is driven by the parents. This is state-led.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1474401' date='Aug 10 2008, 16.21']It looks a lot more like a justification then a stimulus for change.[/quote]
I see your point. At the same time, would not holding the Olympics help human rights? This event could lead to positive change IMO. It certainly has put a lot more focus on what is going on in China, which is a good thing IMO. And a lot of Chinese people are going to become more familiar with the rest of the world. Not bad either.

I've watched my fair share of events. While i'm not particularly interested in basketball, it really amused me to see that an American switched to the Russian team because she couldn't get onto the US side. Times have changed. :P And watching the US male basketball team is hilarious. They look rather determined.

The swimming was rather exciting too. And I was watching Ireland's only real hope for a medal. Boxing. 2 wins out of 2 so far. :P

On the topic of China being the host of the Games, I think it was a reasonable decision. As Padraig says, the world is now focused on China, and China's determined to put on a good show. Whether the Games were hosted in Beijing now or in 20 years' time, China was never going to be perfect on their human rights record (and arguably no country would be), but by doing it now, at least changes for the better might be accelerated.

As an Aussie...I'm watching the swimming a lot. The Olympics is a place where we tend to punch above our weight in the medal count. Although our Olympic team this year isn't as strong as previous years in terms of all-round sports coverage, we at least still have a great swimming team, which has been the backbone of all the recent Australian Olympic teams. We don't have a chance of matching the US medal tally, but one hopes we're still good enough to secure our customary second place in the swimming events.

I do find it amusing that when we were playing in the football, you could barely tell the Australian and Serbian teams apart when you looked at the teamsheets. Almost the entire Australian team is made up of eastern European immigrants. ;)

[quote name='LCOTNW' post='1473493' date='Aug 8 2008, 18.50']I am watching the opening ceremonies right now. I have to admit that the choreography and everything was pretty spetacular. I liked the thousands of Tai Chi masters in synch. event.[/quote]
Damn, now I wish I'd seen it...

[quote name='Wilf' post='1474561' date='Aug 10 2008, 13.01']By the way, these children are not forced. It's a great honour to be chosen so they seldom refuse.[/quote]
I doubt six-year-olds know the significance of being selected for table tennis school, frankly :unsure:

Not a fan of the Olympics in general. Will maybe watch the Winter Olympics when it comes to Vancouver, but only because I love downhill skiing. That reminds me, we better kick our hobos out... :leaving:

Archived