Worldcon Reports

Ran

[quote name='Mr. X' post='1470943' date='Aug 6 2008, 20.11']I don't know...your height would have been a large advantage in at least one of the plans.[/quote]

:unsure: I don't know if I want to know or not!

[quote name='Mr. X' post='1470908' date='Aug 7 2008, 00.19']I remember Mormont commenting on the lack of klingons at LA by saying "There's been a rift in the Klingon community".[/quote]
There actually was a rift in the Klingon community in Toronto. Neither group was allowed to turn up because the con thought it would up with fights. :wideeyed:

[quote name='Mr. X' post='1470908' date='Aug 7 2008, 00.19']I remember Mormont commenting on the lack of klingons at LA by saying "There's been a rift in the Klingon community".[/quote]

Actually I think it was all the Starfleet uniforms. None of those at Glasgow.

[quote name='Padraig' post='1471424' date='Aug 7 2008, 16.04']Glad they have better things to do. :P[/quote]

What could be better than describing details about what's happening in your life on an internet board? :unsure:

Several of us went to the panel at 11.30 yesterday on 'writers as readers', which was one of George's ones. I arrived half an hour late to it owing to registration taking 50 mins (:o) but as far as I can tell it disappointingly didn't refer to the type of debate in [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=29879"]this thread[/url]. Mostly the three authors (GRRM, Lois Bujold, Louise Marley, Mary Morman) were talking about their own childhoods and how often they read (some in defiasnce of family and peers) and what kind of formative influences they had (Heinlein kept coming up). The authors also talked a little about their fans, and GRRM said on the whole he gets on very well with his fans but that sometimes the more rabid ex-fans are a bit scary (the ones who write on his LJ telling him he has ruined their lives by not finishing his next book yet), and that he sometimes has visions of Misery and hopes he isn't ever alone with one of these fans ;)

I hope someone does a more comprehensive report as I missed the first half hour and also was sitting at the back where I could hear only about half the words. There were some good soundbites of which I can only remember one of the female panel members (I could not see their faces or labels from where I was) saying "Nothing worthwhile is ever popular".

(Stubby, Laoise and I also went to one on 'what makes a good writer')

So, here are some questions that I really want to see answered and which IMHO have a good chance of being so:

Why weren't the Tullys present at the Tourney of Harrenhal? It was one of the most brilliant public events in several years, it happened practically in their backyard, the Whents were rather close relatives and their future relatives the Starks were also there.

P.S. And after thinking about logistics of the period between Harrenhal and Lyanna's "abduction" a couple of other questions manifested themselves:

When did Benjen go back north after the Harrenhal tournament? Was he supposed to stay for Brandon's wedding, perhaps?

Was Kyle Royce, one of Brandon's companions, a Stark cousin, grandson of Lord Edwyn's sister who married a Royce of the junior branch?

Why didn't any of the younger Starks apart from Brandon visit Riverrun before the start of the war? Since they were down in the Riverlands for the Harrenhal tourney anyway.

[url="http://asherose.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/worldcon-about-wednesday/"]Here[/url] is one brief panel report. [url="http://avocadovpx.livejournal.com/131470.html"]Here[/url] is someone who tried liveblogging.

This thread is more complaining of lack of reports than actual reports -- go outside people FFS! Find someone/thing and have sex with it! You will get your vicarious debauchery when we are good and ready to deliver it. Now say "Thank you, Misstrix Xray the Enforcer, for showing us the error of our ways." You're welcome, worms. ;)

So, I'm currently kicking it in the Jetblue terminal at JFK, NYC. As some of you may know, I barely escaped the office with my life last night, and I didn't really bother to pack until I got up this morning. This means I am simultaneously over- and under-packed. I have a lot of nice outfits stuffed in the suitcase, but chances are I forgot to pack my knickers. Eh, who needs 'em anyway? I also made 4 abortive attempts to leave the house this AM -- one trip back was because I forgot to put deodorant on. I am sure that my fellow passengers will thank me for taking the extra 30 seconds to rectify that oversight.

I hear that Stubby gets up at unholy early hours -- we will have to cure him of this bad habit, possibly with vodka. I believe I will make him drink 2 Randyll Tarly cocktails tonight, on General Principles. I've also heard reports of tasty beverages (that do not involve bruising Popov) being stored in my room (it pays to be sleeping with the bartender).

Finally, do not believe Pod when he says he is [i]not[/i] at Denver. He is a damned dirty liar.

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1471612' date='Aug 7 2008, 16.54']Finally, do not believe Pod when he says he is [i]not[/i] at Denver. He is a damned dirty liar.[/quote]
Denver is a bit smaller than I expected. Although, I still haven't found anyone. :stunned:

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1471612' date='Aug 7 2008, 16.54']This thread is more complaining of lack of reports than actual reports -- go outside people FFS! Find someone/thing and have sex with it! You will get your vicarious debauchery when we are good and ready to deliver it. Now say "Thank you, Misstrix Xray the Enforcer, for showing us the error of our ways." You're welcome, worms. ;)[/quote]

*cue zak/ needle moment- this is really Mikey here.

-- Indian food at the India House was ballz, though the wine was a little pricey. Ravenswood is NOT a $40 bottle, but c'est la vie. Any con people want good eats one night, it's right down 15th st. Try the vegetable fritters- it's like pub grub, but with vegetables inside.

-- we actually fit six in the car on the way from the airport, Race, Fennryg, Regina, Me, Potsherds, and Gabby, the newest BWB member. Gabby is my new con-crush as she was most helpful with the directions, and has the sexiest midwest accent.

-- Seattle or Reno in '11? Please, people. [i]Space Needle[/i]. 'nuff said. The planet Xerps people did put forth a good effort, but with the price of dilythium crystals being what it is these days, I don't think I could afford the trip.

-- We went party hopping for a bit, and next day I am seeing the difference between 24 y/o "doesn't drink" liver and 33
y/o "has seen better days" liver. The corruption continues...

-- TORNADO WARNING!!! Not only did we have an air raid siren go off, but also someone came on the hotel com-link and told everyone to STAY INDOORS. Random passersby were similarly helpful.

[quote]Finally, do not believe Pod when he says he is [i]not[/i] at Denver. He is a damned dirty liar.[/quote]

we have had many sightings so far, but no Pod sightings yet.

Just to let you all know what a disappointing group we are - everyone was in bed last night at midnight.

Although this may be because so many people had horrible travel experiences yesterday and because for others, that whole altitude thing really does have an effect. Apparently we're supposed to drink more water, less alcohol.

Although yes, these are probably lame excuses.

[quote name='potsherds' post='1471694' date='Aug 7 2008, 10.07']*cue zak/ needle moment- this is really Mikey here.

-- Indian food at the India House was ballz, though the wine was a little pricey. Ravenswood is NOT a $40 bottle, but c'est la vie. Any con people want good eats one night, it's right down 15th st. Try the vegetable fritters- it's like pub grub, but with vegetables inside.[/quote]

Depends on which Ravenswood. If it is the Vintners Blend, that is a bit high (should be $30 in a restaurant). The Sonoma County, Napa or Lodi Zins should be about that price.

Archived