Worldcon Reports

Ran

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1471927' date='Aug 7 2008, 15.59']Mexal,

Details man. For the love of all that's holy DETAILS!

:)[/quote]

I don't have any yet :(

The reading was still going on when LP text me. I assume someone will come here after and spill the beans.

Martin read for the entire 90 minutes with no Q&A session. I guess all those questions people wanted answer isn't happening today.

ETA: More details.

He read from "Mystery Knight" which is Dung and Egg 3. That's supposed to be out in 2010.

LP said it was really good and that he thinks they found out where 2 of Adamis? I have no idea what that means since well, I never read any of those stories.

[quote name='Ran' post='1471973' date='Aug 7 2008, 16.49']2 of Adamis? I have no clue what that means...

There's always the evening parties for a quick question or two. ;)[/quote]

I think he meant Egg came from adamis? or damis?

Fuck if I know. LP has to be the worst texter out there. He's not coherent!

Ran,

[quote name='Ran' post='1472016' date='Aug 7 2008, 17.23']Patience, Ser Scot. ;)[/quote]

:tantrum:

I'm really wishing one of the Shareholders here had a twin engine piper cub. I could then attempt to talk the shareholder into flying to Denver. Then I could [i]really[/i] bug people.

:)

Hey all. I can give some details on the reading since everyone else is at lunch and I ate early.

Like LP told Mex, George read from the third Dunk and Egg story, The Mystery Knight, to be published in Warriors sometime in 2010. And yeah, Martin read for the whole 90 minutes so nobody got to ask questions. All the BwB people got to the room early and we all pretty much sat up front. There was a serious lack of people at first because they had changed the room from the Hyatt to the CCC and I guess a lot of people didn't notice this. :unsure: Mr X. walked to the Hyatt to make sure people knew.

Okay details on the story. Bear in mind that I may not get all the details right since I have a hearing loss and I'm sure someone else can correct me if I get something wrong. Dunk and Egg are the road traveling north, somewhere in the area between the Westerlands and the Riverlands. They come across a large party of knights heading toward the wedding of Butterhall. The recently widowed lord is marrying a daughter of the Freys and is holding a tourney. There was a not so pleasant exchange with the knights before they headed on their way. Dunk thinks about entering the tourney to earn some money for the trip north. Dunk and Egg make it to the ford only the ferry is no longer carrying across for the evening. They make do camping out with a few three other hedge knights. One of the knights is named "Fid the Fiddler"? Another is a distant relation to the Plums. In the morning, they cross the river to the castle where Dunk joins in on the wedding feast. He finds out that the grand prize for the tourney is a dragon's egg. There's a rather colorful story about how Butterhall got the egg from the libidious Aegon IV. ;) There's a bunch of stuff happens at the feast. One thing is that when taking a breath of air outside he overhears two men talking about using the egg to buy soldiers. Back inside he ends up carrying the naked bride to the wedding bed. He also sees and touches the dragon egg. The last most important thing I think is that at the top of the tower, he talks to the that hedge knight, "Fid", who claims that like Egg's brother Daeron, he has true dreams of Dunk in the kingsguard, of a dragon hatching from the egg, and of himself becoming a king. The last bit I'm too sure about and I'm sure someone will correct me on that.

I also wrote out a report on what happened yesterday. I'll try to post it later.

edit: for grammar and extra points.

This is kinda of a first person narrative that I wrote and posted in TTTNE. This is for yesterday, the first day of the con.

Well, I made it down to Mount Pleasant, Iowa about an hour before the train was supposed to leave and it ends up being 45 minutes late. :rolleyes: Boarding and departure were quick enough and only took about five minutes. The train ride was nice if a bit long. I had trouble sleeping since I was in coach and had to sleep in my seat but I did manage a little shut-eye.

Pulled into Denver two hours late. It was still too early to check-in at the hotel but Sophelia graciously let me stow my luggage in her room and me let me freshen up too. We had just enough time to head down the Convention Center to sign in for our member packets. The lines for registration were long. My line(P-Z) was mercifully short and I had just enough time to make it to Martin's first panel, Writers as Readers, at 11:30. Unfortunately I was unable to get a front row seat so I had trouble understanding most of it but it was still good. There were two other big name authors I recognized, Connie Willis and Lois McMaster Bujold, and there was plenty of humor for the whole hour and fifteen minutes. Sophelia finally got her pass and came in about halfway through. I guess some other BwBers came in sometime as well because we all congregated afterwards including MJS, Teri, the Stubbys, Luga, Mr. X, Stego, and a few others.

Several of us were hungry so Soph, MJS, Teri, the Stubbys, Iceman, Hereward I think, and myself decided to head off for lunch. We ran into Dunny and MG on the way out. They decided to get their registration taken care of and meet us up later. We headed up 16th Ave and ended up at Mad Greens. It's kinda hard to describe the food. It's like some post-hippie mad nutruitionist decided to open a cafe selling salads and paninis. It was certainly different. We split up after lunch with about half of us heading back to the CCC. I went to the John Scalzi signing in Hall D and got two of my books signed. Scalzi is definitely a very funny and interesting guy. Wandered around the exhibit hall for a little bit. I bought a hardback edition of ASOS as well as two earlier books of Catherynne Valente.

I had gotten a voice mail from the hotel saying my room was ready so I went back and got checked in. Then it was back down to the CCC for a panel at 4 about building spaceships. It was pretty cool because they had a scientist there who had done a lot of work for NASA and JPL and was able to answer lots of questions on spaceships and possible drive systems.

I didn't feel like attending the opening ceremonies at 5:30 so I went back to hotel. Got texts about a dinner for the BwBers at Gumbos and met everyone there at 7:15. Stego didn't make it but Luzifer was there. Also heard that both Sean and Xray had flight troubles so hopefully they'll be able to make it in today. The restaurant was kinda of Cajun/Southern mix. I had the grilled catfish with dirty rice which was really good. Also had a chocolate custard that I split with Dunny that was also really good but we couldn't finish because we were stuffed.

We all left around 9:30 intending to hang out at someone's room, not sure who. :blush: Soph begged off to go back to the hotel. It was also raining so we were all getting drenched. There was an interesting moment when we riding the free 16th Ave shuttle. The shuttle was jam-packed because of the rain and the driver got pissed about something and forced us all to get off. We had to get out and walk back to the room. Along the way we lost Teri and Luga. Because of the rain the Stubbys and I decided to just head back to our hotels as well. I had to admit I was pretty tired from the full day and the lack of sleep the night before.

[quote name='Ran' post='1472039' date='Aug 7 2008, 16.45']Butterhall, or Butterwell? Or is it Butterwell of Butterhall? :)[/quote]
I'm sorry, I'm not sure! Butter-something that's for sure.

*hangs head in shame*

eta: Scot, he stopped part-way through.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1471959' date='Aug 7 2008, 16.38']Martin read for the entire 90 minutes with no Q&A session. I guess all those questions people wanted answer isn't happening today.

ETA: More details.

He read from "Mystery Knight" which is Dung and Egg 3. That's supposed to be out in 2010.

LP said it was really good and that he thinks they found out where 2 of [b]Adamis[/b]? I have no idea what that means since well, I never read any of those stories.[/quote]

Sorry guys... I can't text and walk... that was 'DANI'S EGGS' came from.

I thought it was pretty clear! :lol:

[quote name='Lucky Pierre' post='1472100' date='Aug 7 2008, 18.34']Sorry guys... I can't text and walk... that was 'DANI'S EGGS' came from.

I thought it was pretty clear! :lol:[/quote]

That makes more sense. Nice one J.

Archived