Worldcon Reports

Ran

[quote name='Kat' post='1474590' date='Aug 10 2008, 16.54']So Stego came over, put his arm around green shirt dude's shoulder, and said, "This party is for BWB members only now, so maybe you can leave." The guy got up and left and as he was leaving, Stego called, "ENJOY YOURSELF AT HOME TONIGHT" and everyone burst into laughter.[/quote]

:rofl:

Oh man.

I'm home and operating on about 2 hours sleep, so just a quick update from me. Huge props to the X's for all the ass kicking and name taking. Wonderful con.

Pod, It was wonderful to see you again, and sorry I didn't rescue you from Evil massage guy, but it looked like he was having such a nice time rubbing you up.

My favorite moment of the con had to have been last night when I was working the door. So old con guy comes up and looks at our sign. ( Awesome drawing by Raya, and put together by Katie )
"So, whats the Brotherhood w/o Banner?"
Me: "Its a GRRM fan club"
"Oh I read one of his books once. Did not like it."
Me: "Oh? Which book?"
" A Storm of Swords"
Me: "Well its book three in a series, so it probably not the best one to start on."
"Well it was up for a hugo so I read it. I voted it 2nd to last. The guy really needs an editor or something."
Me: Well Harry Potter did kick ass. So what didn't you like about it? Was it too long for you?"
"I only got to page 11.It has way to many inconsistencies. On one page its above freezing, the next its below freezing, and then finally its like 60 below!" I can't handle inconsistencies like that."

Then he turned and stalked off mortally offended that such a horrible author would have a fan club or something.

ETA: Frosty is AWESOME!

[quote name='RaceBannon42' post='1474749' date='Aug 11 2008, 03.15']Pod, It was wonderful to see you again, and sorry I didn't rescue you from Evil massage guy, but it looked like he was having such a nice time rubbing you up.[/quote]
I hate you! :stunned:

Awesome.

My first BwB event and I was blown away by how genuine and welcoming everyone was.

Several places where we went to eat I ended up collecting the money for the check and people were always very generous. The tips we left were big and many of the servers commented on how great it was to serve our group or that we were the best table of 16 they had served. Kudos to everyone for being noticeably cool.

OK, My creepy dude con story happened on the street, and not at the party. I almost invited him up to the suite just so I wouldn't be the only one to have seen him. This kind of creepy deserved to be shared. But, no this was beyond creepy.

I was on my way back from a supply run at 12:30AMish or so. I had both hands full of stuff and i was walking pretty fast.

I see ahead of me a guy stumbling down the street, looking like he had slept in his clothes a night or three and hadn't showered in a while. The odd thing is that he is holding a cam corder. He was recording his drunk stumble.

OK, That was odd. I suppose a wobbly video tape might be funny. and hey, you might have a record of how to get back to your car. Strange.

But as I passed him I glanced over and he wasn't recording. He was watching P*RN on the camera's display.

So I slowed down and walked with him for a block.. ok not really. I had already seen that one...

There are so many things to report about the com. Maybe after work I will post more. Who am I kidding. After work I am going back to bed.

[quote name='Ser Michael Jon Snow' post='1475102' date='Aug 11 2008, 07.49']OK, My creepy dude con story happened on the street, and not at the party. I almost invited him up to the suite just so I wouldn't be the only one to have seen him. This kind of creepy deserved to be shared. But, no this was beyond creepy.[/quote]
I saw a creepy guy when heading to my car at 12 Saturday night. A stumbling drunk guy with a pirate's eye patch and a black dachshund on a leash kept slurring questions at me. As we were alone on a dark street, I increased my pace. :) Dachshunds can be very dangerous....

ETA:
I know I wasn't around much during the con, one of the downsides of having it in your home town is that real life is still there to pull you away. But I enjoyed talking to everyone, even if it was just to shake hands and put a face to the board name.

A special shout out to the Stubbies. They both made sure that I knew what was going on when, saved me seats at the reading and Casa Bonita, and made me feel welcome to drop in. Cheers.

At Denver airport waiting for my flight. Just a quick post to thank everyone for a wonderful con. Stegho, the X's, Yags.....everyone involved with the parties, you guys were fantastic. Great to see so many new faces, even if I didn't talk to many people as much as I should have being the anti-social bastard that I am:p Hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as I did.

Frosty is indeed awesome.

btw....trivia will be revived in Montreal if people are interested;)

It was great to see old friends and meet people for the first time. :) Sorry I wasn't there longer and sorry I didn't talk to as many of you as I'd have liked.

Frosty is the motherfucking BOMB. He singlehandedly shut down the Reno bid and made us the winner for longest-running party at the con. He put on his pimp clothes, walked over there and jedi mind-tricked the fuckers into thinking he was hotel security. BAD ASS. Cheers, Glen.

A big fuck you to the random guy who decided that stealing from the tip jar at the bar would be A Good Thing. At least I caught him at it.

The Tickler...wow. Stubby coming to me and asking me to randomly check this guy out who was wanking in the corner was bizarre. The reaction of the Bros when I told 'em was awesome - 10 people stood up, got out their cameras and RAN to him.

[quote]Well, last night the Seattle bid people came by the BWB party around 4am and chatted with us for a while...after which, Stego took a poll of everyone in the room. I believe it was phrased like this: "Does anyone in here actually want Reno to win the 2011 bid?" I think I was the only one who said yes.[/quote]That actually was me saying that. I know, people mix me and stego up all the damn time. And yes, you are the only person that wants it in Reno. You could drive to Seattle, ya know - it's not THAT far. :P

Well, not actual pimp clothes like you, Ran. He was just well dressed, better than the rest of us schlubs, and he went over there like a bad ass and dared them to disagree with him.

No one steps up to the Frosty. NO ONE.

[quote name='Relic' post='1475422' date='Aug 11 2008, 12.11']what i really know is....

did anyone wear a blame pod tshirt???[/quote]
I saw at least three of them.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1475418' date='Aug 11 2008, 14.08']He was just well dressed, better than the rest of us schlubs, and he went over there like a bad ass and dared them to disagree with him.

No one steps up to the Frosty. NO ONE.[/quote]

I always knew he had it in him. Glenn, you are the best. :cheers: Can't wait for your thoughts on the con, when you have a chance.

I'm at the airport waiting for my plane right now.
I had lots of fun at the con and met lost of new people.
4th arived early and was completly drunk(whatever you say john deer people can drink) when malt showed up.
5th some sightseeing with malt and we watched the dark knight(awesome^3), we had a few beers over the day and I took a few drinks at the hotel bar after malt went to bed.
6th some con stuff and meeting some new and some old people, more details later. I had a black out around two in the morning after a bottle starting going around at the Xerps party, I do not know how I got back to my room.
7th More people showed up and again there was lots of cool con stuff, had a blackout after the Xerps partz again...
8th Some con stuff and of course the first BWB party and it was awesome, I am man enough that FPs comments about my manly smell did not disturb me, I also saw a girl tease and wip a guy in the reno suite, nice boobs and piercings from what I remember. Bedtime around 5:30.
9th Again con stuff(I don't remember right now if rothfuss teh hamsterkiller was on the 8th or the 9th..)The next party again lots of fun, I showed up early to help at last a little, the Xes, Stego, Tycho and all the others that did most of the work are just awesome.
10th early in the morning after a few hours of sleep I dragged myself to the party room to help with the cleanup, I did no con stuff at all apart from rading the dealers rooms, there was some drinking and eating and I got the bed about 1:30 in the morning, DPA and Charles the Stalker for teh win!.

btw:I had the honor of sucking GoNs horns but jamie said he would kill me if she returned the favour....

I will post more details when im back home.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1475466' date='Aug 11 2008, 14.41']Didn't have my camera with me, sorry. Not like he hasn't worn the thing before. :P[/quote]

what the hell? someone needs to hook me up so i can frame it and hang it over my desk!

Archived