Worldcon Reports

Ran

[quote name='dajamieson' post='1479974' date='Aug 14 2008, 12.13']What the hell did they try to charge you $300/$1000 for???[/quote]

First they didn't honor the price that the convention had negotiated with the hotel. I had been warned that this might happen by the Denvention Housing Staff, so I knew to look out for that on the bill. With tax, that added up to around $300. Then they tried to double charge us. We had to give the bill back [i]again[/i]. Finally, the manager came over and sorted things out (the woman we got behind the desk was clearly n00bly trainee). I'm still not convinced that I didn't get slightly overcharged somewhere in there, but at that point I just wanted to get the hell out of that hotel.

Damn Hoteliers!

;)

I'm glad they made it right.

And if you ever find yourself in a hotel and you forgot your charger for your phone, just ring housekeeping. They usually have a box full of chargers that others have left and you can go down and paw thru it. I know we do in our hotels. I've not had to buy a replacement charger, well, ever!

:wideeyed:

I'll probably post my report when I get home since we are still travelling, but to make it short it went like that : flue --> bronchitis / food poisoning as an interlude / --> pneumonia. :tantrum:
Yeah, I started to have a fever again and went to the doctor today. I was granted a painful injection :spank: and more antibiotics :thumbsup:
I think I'll remember those vacations :P
Luckily I also have some very happy memories from it and when it's all over I'll be sure to keep only those. :grouphug:

[quote name='Dunhallym' post='1480679' date='Aug 14 2008, 19.50']I'll probably post my report when I get home since we are still travelling, but to make it short it went like that : flue --> bronchitis / food poisoning as an interlude / --> pneumonia. :tantrum:
Yeah, I started to have a fever again and went to the doctor today. I was granted a painful injection :spank: and more antibiotics :thumbsup:
I think I'll remember those vacations :P
Luckily I also have some very happy memories from it and when it's all over I'll be sure to keep only those. :grouphug:[/quote]

Holy crap! Pneumonia??!! You are a trooper. I hope that injection works.

Friday started off with our having breakfast with Mr. and Mrs. X at a diner, which was pretty good. Of course, as I mentioned, when one is starving, food tastes better in general. We went over what had gone over so far, and hashed out the plans for the day as best we could. It was pleasant and relaxing.

Afterwards, we split up. Regina and X-Ray stayed at the hotel while Mr. X and I went to go meet Stego and Novaspud to go get the necessary supplies for the parties. Novaspud had picked up Mandy, who wanted to go along on the shopping trip, so due to a lack of space in the car for all of us, I was opted out, and made my way back to the hotel again.

Regina and I proceeded to go to the Dealers Room, where we spent some more time in the artists section. We spent a rather longer time than usual looking at one particular individual’s work, trying to decide if it was good enough for us to purchase anything and arrange to get it back home. We decided to give it some more time to decide.

We then proceeded to go to the book dealers section, and talked with Ross at Night Shade Publishing, who, we decided, was a decent guy. His job is to get us to buy his books, but he doesn’t come across as pushy, or not worth his time if we were not going to buy anything.

He mentioned, to my great delight, that there was going to be an anthology of zombie stories being published in September, which I now absolutely must get my hands on. The book is going to be called The Living Dead (duh), and featured stories by Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King (there’s a shock), and George, of all people. Wights, anyone? For the 0.00001 percent of the population who doesn’t know, one of the stories is also by Joe Hill, who is actually Stephen King’s son.

We proceeded to slowly wend our way throughout the various dealers, and bemoaned and lamented our impoverishment, as usual when subjected to temptations. Actually, being poor is probably what saves us, come to think of it.

On our way out, we encountered Stubby and Laoise and took the opportunity to finally have a conversation with them that did not involve shouting over everyone else. The topics I covered with Stubby involved socialized medicine, their vacation in the US so far and where they had gone, and the movie Breaker Morant, starring Edward Woodward, which I have had on my mind ever since. I have made a mental note to google the man and his work, and find out what else Woodward has done for acting besides The Equalizer, which I will add to Netflix at my first opportunity.

We also all got smoothies, which was necessary if we were going to make it alive to dinner. The effects of the breakfast four hours earlier were starting to wear off. They were expensive, but very good.

We eventually made our way back to our hotel room and attempted to nap. I failed utterly; Regina had the ability to fall asleep in places other than a bed. Off to the party suite in order to help set up.

The setup consisted of getting stuff into the room, moving the bed out of the way, and arranging furniture for the bar. The older members came up with an amusing method of procuring ice for the bathtub – every n00b who entered the
room was summarily drafted to take the place of the n00b before them who was traipsing down a few floors to the ice machines. This ended up being very effective, actually.

The party hotel had an asinine setup. The party floor was the 22nd, and the only way to get there was to have a specific card that required swiping in the elevator beforehand. This required people being assigned in the hotel lobby to swipe said cards and get people up to the floor. Apparently the time to get up to the floor at one point was in excess of forty minutes, which I can certainly believe, because I had to spend some time down in the lobby later in the night with Dracarys and Tyco to help them get the beer up there.

Kudos to both of those two n00bs, by the way. People have mentioned their help earlier, but their help merits mentioning again.

What also bears mentioning because of how amusing it was is Yag’s attempts to get ice from the hotel. He discovered that there was a hotel delivery service for ice; so he ordered some. Eight phone calls and more than an hour later, a gentleman showed up at the door with a single plastic pitcher of ice. All that effort for something we could have done ourselves. Hell, we were doing for ourselves.

After returning to the hotel temporarily for a shower and change of clothing, I returned to the party hotel for the festivities. End part two.

My poor Dunny :grouphug: you really have had the worst, worst luck with your trip to the States

Come back to us in Eurocommieland and you will feel so much better again, you know it :kiss:

Hopefully this piece of news will help cheer you up...

It is done, finally complete and here available at no extra cost to you - the Con Report to end all Con Reports:

[b][center][size=7][font="Times New Roman"]MG's Almost Annual Too Bloody Big By Half Worldcon Report[/font][/size][/center][/b]

Just click here to download this very long Word Document - read and [url="http://www.philliplowles.co.uk/gallery/worldcon2008.doc"]Enjoy yourself tonight![/url]

Everything is new from Saturday onwards. However there are some additions and corrections amongst the previous pages as well for those who really have nothing better to do than read this thing.

It is now 2.15 am and I am going to bed, goodnight.

[quote name='Fenryng' post='1480782' date='Aug 14 2008, 21.11']The older members came up with an amusing method of procuring ice for the bathtub – every n00b who entered the room was summarily drafted to take the place of the n00b before them who was traipsing down a few floors to the ice machines. This ended up being very effective, actually.[/quote]
:lol:

That's awesome. I missed out on that bit whilst off on a booze run.

Props to MG for a sterling report!! How you managed to keep notes on all that and have fun at the same time is beyond me.

Only thing to correct is that laoise made the comment about keeping the windows up...

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1480921' date='Aug 14 2008, 21.19']Props to MG for a sterling report!! [b] How you managed to keep notes on all that and have fun at the same time is beyond me.[/b]

Only thing to correct is that laoise made the comment about keeping the windows up...[/quote]

Goats don't drink Alcohol!

:cheers: SMG!

Stellar!

And for ice next year-A bigger bucket! The [s]trash can[/s] ice bucket I was using could have been double the size to make for fewer trips!

eta: Dunny... You were so hip, so happening, so all over that dinner on Tuesday! I feel a bit bad about it but you *seemed* fine!!! Really! Safe travels home to you and Soph! You two were the highlight of my week! :grouphug:

Haven't had much chance to post as our internet here in Chicago is pretty flaky, just wanted to say many many thanks to everyone for being wonderful in all sorts of different ways. And I can witness Dunny has been laughing and laughing as she read MG's report which is ivery frustrating when having only one mini-computer between us and I have to sit there patiently reading a book until I have a chance to get online myself ;)

P.S. Did anyone hear if Pod got home alright after his plane was diverted to Cameroon?

[quote name='Sophelia' post='1481137' date='Aug 15 2008, 07.10']P.S. Did anyone hear if Pod got home alright after his plane was diverted to Cameroon?[/quote]
I'm home as such. Since I wouldn't be able to leave Benin for a few months it seems!

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1480921' date='Aug 15 2008, 03.19']Props to MG for a sterling report!! How you managed to keep notes on all that and have fun at the same time is beyond me.

Only thing to correct is that laoise made the comment about keeping the windows up...[/quote]
I have a good memory, though clearly it is not infalliable. I will make corrections and alterations this evening. If anybody else spots a mistake or there is something which should have been included then please point it out either in thread or PM. Thank you.

[quote name='Sophelia' post='1481137' date='Aug 15 2008, 07.10']Dunny has been laughing and laughing as she read MG's report[/quote]
I'm going to call that Mission Accomplished :love:

It would be a most amazing thing to be able to go to Australia. Other than needing to take out a second mortgage on the house to pay for gas to Montreal, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch either. Hmmm, decisions decisions. I don't want to miss out on some parties of the century. Well keep me in the loop everyone. I'd love to make a contribution to the hilarity of the trips as well as events.

And thanks to all who responded. You are making me feel totally welcome and, like Ronald would say, ba da buh buh buh.... I'm lovin' it. :)

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1480921' date='Aug 14 2008, 22.19']Only thing to correct is that laoise made the comment about keeping the windows up...[/quote]
Your avatars are killing me today. :lol:

Archived