Worldcon Reports

Ran

*feels guiltily relieved that Dunny and I had a perfect flight from Denver to Chicago this morning* (we even arrived early)

I am amazed at the number of flight problems there have been given the time of year. :o

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1475377' date='Aug 11 2008, 13.42']A big fuck you to the random guy who decided that stealing from the tip jar at the bar would be A Good Thing. At least I caught him at it.[/quote]
What? Missed that event. Glad you caught him.

ETA: Xray and I are yet another addition to the list of people with flight problems. At one point, we had to get off the airplane, hang out in the Denver terminal for an hour, then reboard the same plane. Joy.

Everyone's having flight problems and I had train problems. The train was an hour late getting to Denver because it got stuck behind a freight train that broke down. I think they tried to make up the lost time and we still got to Mount Pleasant, Iowa three hours behind schedule.

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1472829' date='Aug 8 2008, 11.05']It has been determined that Tycho is Racebannon's son.[/quote]

My sister has seen the pictures as well and in fact confirms that I am the son of Race. I am currently too exghausted to sort this all out.

I too made it home, though not without my share of flying fun. My baggage is currently somewhere, hopefully in some misplaced pile in Chicago, or better yet already found and on its way to RI, though im not holding my breath.

The con was great and i forsee many more worldcons and various other BwB events in my future. Thanks to the X's and everyone else for the great parties and making a relative newbie feel welcome. (i met up with the BwB at trinoc'con last year and met Lucky Pierre and LanyC) And great pics all around.

Ouch Regina. That's pretty bad. Not like the US is short of airports to land in, without picking crap ones.

[quote]At Dinner Kat blamed something on Pod, the chant was taken up and George looked around and stated 'Most of you don't even KNOW Pod'. We agreed and blamed Pod for that too![/quote]
:lol: Well...no point me saying how strange you all are. You know that already.

[quote name='Ran' post='1475672' date='Aug 11 2008, 21.33']Hey, Pod, we got the postcard you sent from Casa Bonita. Thanks! You really didn't have to send it first class, though.[/quote]
This is why I don't get banned. :wideeyed:

Didn't someone say that there were like 3 or 4 cons in Denver this past weekend? If that's true, I'd expect SOME amount of travel delays seeing as a huge horde of people would be coming in and out of the city at roughly the same time.

Sure, a large (and recently built) airport like DIA should be able to handle those kinds of loads, but it's surely not the same as visiting a city when there [i]aren't[/i] 4 conventions going on.

(Just playing devil's advocate. Don't everyone jump on me, now.)

[quote name='nazfyratu' post='1476367' date='Aug 12 2008, 11.53']Didn't someone say that there were like 3 or 4 cons in Denver this past weekend? If that's true, I'd expect SOME amount of travel delays seeing as a huge horde of people would be coming in and out of the city at roughly the same time.[/quote]

Yep, there was a statisticians convention, and a John Deere convention (speaking of which, did anyone get any photos of that for Hereward?).

My travel delay wasn't in Denver, but in Cincinnati, the onward flight to JFK was two hours late. Fortunately, my layover in JFK was supposed to be three hours, so I made it in time for the Manchester flight (which actually landed back home half an hour before it was scheduled - time which I promptly lost in the train station as three trains got cancelled).

Also, has anyone yet mentioned that Charles Stross seems to be stalking GoN?

[quote name='Maltaran' post='1476410' date='Aug 12 2008, 08.18']Also, has anyone yet mentioned that Charles Stross seems to be stalking GoN?[/quote]

When he sat down next to our tables on Sunday night at the bar, I almost soiled myself with laughter. :lol:

Also, Kalbear is absolutely right -- Frosty, with that one act of subterfuge, elevated himself into the hallowed ranks of WorldCon Heroes. He singlehandedly preserved BwB honor. Frosty, I salute you. :cheers:

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1476463' date='Aug 12 2008, 09.22']Also, Kalbear is absolutely right -- Frosty, with that one act of subterfuge, elevated himself into the hallowed ranks of WorldCon Heroes. He singlehandedly preserved BwB honor. Frosty, I salute you. :cheers:[/quote]

*cue the music from the "real American hero" commercials*

:thumbsup:

Sitting at the hotel lobby in Boston waiting for the shuttle to take me to the airport. The delays in Milwaukee tuned out to be almost four hours, so I didn't check in before 3:45 am. Concerning my stay in Milwaukee, I was a bit disappointed when the bar closed at 10, more than an hour before my flight, but before that I found a used book store at the airport and bought some Lovecraft and Anderson short stories.

[quote name='nazfyratu' post='1476367' date='Aug 12 2008, 03.53']Didn't someone say that there were like 3 or 4 cons in Denver this past weekend? If that's true, I'd expect SOME amount of travel delays seeing as a huge horde of people would be coming in and out of the city at roughly the same time.

Sure, a large (and recently built) airport like DIA should be able to handle those kinds of loads, but it's surely not the same as visiting a city when there [i]aren't[/i] 4 conventions going on.

(Just playing devil's advocate. Don't everyone jump on me, now.)[/quote]

No, I think it's their damned weather. Also, if they can't handle smallish conventions like Worldcon and John Deere and that Builders thing that was at the Hyatt, how will they ever handle the DNC and the 659,204 journalists and Obama fans who will descend upon the city next week like locusts? Roving hordes of geeks ain't got nothing on the Dems.

I waitefd at JFK airport for about....9 hours. So I did not escape the curse.

My report will be forthcoming....as soon as I am fully conscious.

It was wonderful seeing all of you, and I had a wonderful time.

[b]"A cunt, or what's the point?"[/b]

You want a con Report?

I got The Con Report for ya.

[b][center][size=4][i]Welcome to the first ever edition of[/i][/size]
[size=6]MG's Almost Annual Too Bloody Big By Half Worldcon Report[/size][/center][/b]

Complete with all the stories from my personal experiences, the Convention Panels, GRRM reading of The Mystery Knight, all the dinners, Casa Bonita, The Parties, The Quest for the Mile High Tomato Pie, The Tickler, Brotherhood Without Manners, Ser Frosty closing Reno, all of it (well up to the end of Friday, I still have Saturday to do and it is too fucking late here now, I've not even eaten yet)

Read it all here in this Word Document (cos otherwise it would be too massive to post here)

[url="http://www.philliplowles.co.uk/gallery/worldcon2008.doc"]MG's Worldcon 2008 Report[/url]

[i][b]Read and enjoy yourself![/b][/i]

"Okay, I'm too tired to do anything constructive this evening, so I'll whine about our flight:

-We got to the airport with no trouble, and even split the cost of the cab with a GRRM fan from Israel. We had a good conversation and pimped the boards and the BWB to him."

so strange to read a post that starts with me at the beginning....

after i left you i got on the airplane. at 2 hours delay, if there is a curse, i blame you for not waiting for me to be on a plane until you said any thing about this forum. anyhow i think it was worth it. looks like a good forum. thnx for the inv'

The Nebi

[quote name='serMountainGoat' post='1477468' date='Aug 12 2008, 16.27'][url="http://www.philliplowles.co.uk/gallery/worldcon2008.doc"]MG's Worldcon 2008 Report[/url][/quote]

Epic. Too epic for me to read right now, even, but :thumbsup: for actually writing 17 pages on 4 days. Holy shit.

Archived