Anticipation 2009 (Montreal Worldcon)

Kat

This sounds like so much fun! You guys are a trip. I was reading about the Denver con (bummed that I missed that one) and I am going to have to go to this next one. Anyone able to help a girl out in terms of planning something like this? What do I plan for? Other than a ridiculously good time of course :)

[quote name='Seajaye' post='1477573' date='Aug 12 2008, 21.44']This sounds like so much fun! You guys are a trip. I was reading about the Denver con (bummed that I missed that one) and I am going to have to go to this next one. Anyone able to help a girl out in terms of planning something like this? What do I plan for? Other than a ridiculously good time of course :)[/quote]

Nothing to plan, other than a costume (if that is your thing) and when you'll arrive. Oh, and maybe figure out what panels you want to see once the schedule is out. :)

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1477582' date='Aug 12 2008, 20.53']Nothing to plan, other than a costume (if that is your thing) and when you'll arrive. Oh, and maybe figure out what panels you want to see once the schedule is out. :)[/quote]
Great! And how much does one of these set you back in terms of the big green? What would an average budget be?

[quote name='Seajaye' post='1477573' date='Aug 12 2008, 21.44']This sounds like so much fun! You guys are a trip. I was reading about the Denver con (bummed that I missed that one) and I am going to have to go to this next one. Anyone able to help a girl out in terms of planning something like this? What do I plan for? Other than a ridiculously good time of course :)[/quote]

:cheers: Yay Iowa!!!

[quote name='Seajaye' post='1477593' date='Aug 12 2008, 22.08']Great! And how much does one of these set you back in terms of the big green? What would an average budget be?[/quote]

So, con membership is around $120-$150US. Hotels -- good question. Try to get a roomie or two, and split the cost. Most rooms will be around $130US per night. Then there's food (you can go budget on that and keep food in your room, but save enough for one night dinner with the people), and then there's the $30 BwB fee.

Basically, the fixed costs are con membership (unless you do a one-day pass), room and BwB party fund. All else really depends on how you want to spend. :)

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1477098' date='Aug 12 2008, 11.53']I thought I saw Shryke post that he is planning on moving to Sin City, so he doesn't have an excuse either.[/quote]
He's moving to Windsor?

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1477425' date='Aug 12 2008, 15.47']Anyone who feels that way obviously underestimates you[color="#000000"]r wine cellar[/color][/quote]
And his grill-fu.

WTF happened to the end of that quote? Weird.

Anyway, it looks like a flight to Montreal would run me $900 whereas a flight to NYC would be around $400. :o Montreal is somewhere in Canada right? It hasn't been moved to Iceland or anything?

Looks like if I go, I'll be on the party train too. :cheers:

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1477600' date='Aug 12 2008, 22.15']So, con membership is around $120-$150US.[/quote]
According to the Montreal WorldCon [url="http://www.anticipationsf.ca/English/Membership"]page[/url], membership is $215 (US dollars). The hotel rates that the con have gotten range from $47 to $199 (Canadian dollars), with the low end prices being special arrangements for students and the high end ones being swanky suites.

As mentioned by the wife, we're hoping.

Though the Party Train[sup]tm[/sup] idea sounds excellent I'm wondering how many non-American people are going to baffle Customs and Immigration by flying to NY, riding out the next day on a train and returning... Surely this happens, yes?
[mutters about my draconian Immigration people...]

[quote name='dalThor' post='1477757' date='Aug 13 2008, 04.00']As mentioned by the wife, we're hoping.

Though the Party Train[sup]tm[/sup] idea sounds excellent I'm wondering how many non-American people are going to baffle Customs and Immigration by flying to NY, riding out the next day on a train and returning... Surely this happens, yes?
[mutters about my draconian Immigration people...][/quote]

It wouldn't surprise me if this happened a lot. When I went to check the train prices, the rest of this week was all sold out. Unless the Yanks are playing in Montreal, it's a good bet a few people take this option to save money.

[quote name='Balefont' post='1477363' date='Aug 12 2008, 22.57']w00t!!1

Definitely definite (barring a nuclear holocaust or something) because Montreal is only a 7 hour drive. Piece of cake. AND Montreal is only about 1 1/2 hours north of my currently favorite hiking spots - the Adirondacks (Lake Placid). SO, < looks at Joris >, I'm hoping to attach some hiking to the trip for any of you outdoorsy peeps wanting to join in the fun. Lake Placid also has a kick ass brewery - perfect for post-hike bliss. :D[/quote]

Yes, I'll probably bring the whole pile of hiking gear, so I am up for it.

Archived