R. Scott Bakker

TerraPrime

In my opinion, * yes. Tolkien for one, Márquez and Borges for another two. But not too many authors in the spec fic field, I'll admit.

*Italicized, with disclaimer, just so this innocuous response doesn't signal the start of a multi-page 'flame war' over the semantics behind "In my opinion." ;)

Perhaps so, for storytelling purposes at least. But I'm being cautious here in my praise, mostly because it's so rare for a spec fic writer to craft a story that is emotionally moving AND which has impeccable prose. If the entire SOIAF saga maintains the current levels or improves a bit, then I'll classify Martin with the rest. Until then, he's still one of the best living writers in the US today, just one with still more potential to tap.

That being said, I just started reading Jeff VanderMeer's collection of essays and other miscelleana called Why Should I Cut Your Throat? : Excursions Into the Worlds of Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Horror. The Prologue contains a hilarious account of the 1990 Georgia Fantasy Convention that might make you, Scott, and others at the recent WFC laugh and ponder in turns about the absurdities that go on at such conventions, particularly with dickweeds ;)

Exactly, that Ellison bit just made me laugh and laugh when I was reading it. The Moorcock groupie bit was hilarious as well :D

I love VanderMeer's style. I hope Veniss Underground's new edition will help 'break' him to a larger audience.

I find it amazing that a debut author -particularly a debut epic fantasy - author has such a individual voice and a compelling story to tell. The first book does have a distinct "set up installment" feel to it - but it's so compellingly unsentimental, and hass too many chaarcters of interest including Kellhuss I just think, including Tyrion are the two great charatcers in current epic fantasy.

Warrior Prophet just blows the roof off - it's phenominal.

I agree, although I was (and still am) more partial to how Cnaiür counterpoints Kellhus on so many levels - this really becomes apparent in TTT. Ach, the things I want to say about that novel and can't just yet! I'm just so lucky Scott sent me a copy, as I hadn't yet contacted Penguin Canada or Overlook for a review copy. I hear they have a few of those available, but uncertain if any are still remaining.

That being said, I'm so looking forward to seeing the reactions of people here to TTT after it is released. I think the January release time is going to work out perfectly - just between the Martin and the UK/Canada Erikson releases. What a great time to be an epic fantasy reader, huh? :D

• 4 weeks later...

having jus finished Thousandfold Thought i can with full confidence say that Bakker is a premium fantasy writer. Homeboy can flat out WRITE. He is my personal second favroite behind Martin.

Is there anyone who Martin hasn't licked in this dept?

Plenty, including IMO, Mervyn Peake, Gene Wolfe, Franz Kafka, Tim Powers, Jeff Vandermeer - amongst others. Martin's still in the top tier though, and here I think he has a slight edge over Bakker.

If you're limiting it to epic fantasy, he's at the top, only really challenged by Bakker and Erikson.

martin's ability to weave a story smokes Bakker and Erikson if you ask me. In fact, in my opinion Erikson doesnt even come close to competing (aside from Deadhouse Gates.) What keeps Bakker in the game is his ability to write...images and his keen grasp on the human psyche. That and the last three pages of TTT.

I have to protest your list, brys. Have you READ bakker? I certainly wouldn't put Tim Powers on any where near a comparable leval to Bakker or Martin. the guy can't even do dialogue particularly convinvingly. I've only read Anubis gates, and while a fun enough romp through time travel in its way, it came nowhere near to the depth of insight into human character or the compelling plot that both Bakker and Martin, each in their very different ways, have managed to date.

Relic, you or stego should do a spoiler free reviw of TTT, please :)

On the top (fantasy) three here..Martin for sheer story telling ability and writing skills comes top. Bakker next for the depth he brings to the genre. And to be honest, so far I prefer Hobbs to Erikson; though that may change. Erikson is a great worldbuilder, but he still has a lot of work to do on his basicwriting skills before it hits the spot for me.

I still think Scott's been cheating by including his everyday arguments in the midst of his fantasy trilogy ;)

Seriously though, I gotta agree with what Stego says above - Scott's made me think quite a bit about why I read fantasy in the first place. No other author has managed to do that yet, outside of maybe Borges.

Archived