Lost Season 5 Thread 1

Werthead

Rather a long way to go, but filming started on the fifth and penultimate season of [b]Lost[/b] last week.

Confirmed non-spoiler information: this season will be 17 episodes long and will air in one continuous block from mid-January through to the end of May. The first episode will be called [i]Because You Left[/i].

- long pause -

That's about it. At this point even the vaguest whisperings about what's going on in the show need to be spoilerised:

SPOILER: Season 5
Jin and Locke will still be around, although in what capacity remains unknown.

The actress who plays Claire has been demoted to be a recurring character, but will be back as a full regular for Season 6.

The show will be split effectively into two strands: what happens to the Oceanic Six off the Island and their attempts to get back, and what's going on back on the Island. The Island has moved in time, but it's unclear if it's physically moved in space as well. Apparently we will see the O6 and the other survivors reunited before the end of the season, but in what context remains unknown.

Apparently the flashforwards/backwards paradigm is going to be changed significantly. The first episode will play around with time and it will not be clear when it is set.

Two 19th Century-type galleons have been shipped into Hawaii for filming for the series, strongly suggesting that the story of the [i]Black Rock[/i] will be a focus for some of the early episodes.

Filming so far has concentrated on Jorge Garcia and Naveen Andrews. From the costume descriptions, it sounds like their story picks up immediately after Sayid busted Hurley out of the psych ward.

As with the Orchid film last year, this year a new DHARMA video was shown at Comicon which sets up Season 5. In [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLJ7bPpI8VM"]this[/url] video we see Dr. Marvin Candle (real name now revealed to be Pierre Chang) in the 1970s revealing some startling knowledge of the future, including knowledge of who George W. Bush is and the existence of the Internet. The cameraman sounds suspiciously like Faraday. This suggests one idea about Season 5 - that some characters would actively travel into the past and interact with the DHARMA Initiative in its heyday - may be accurate. The producers added fuel to this by saying we would learn a lot more about DHARMA in Season 5, and a lot of backstory questions about the [i]Black Rock[/i], Danielle's past, Richard Alpert, Jacob and so on would be answered.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1492925' date='Aug 24 2008, 16.19']Cool stuff, but you can click the link in the spoiler. It's something that was designed to be seen prior to Season 5, but not essential to it ;)[/quote]

I was waiting for you to start this thread, Wert. I also thought that who you postulated the voice was was the same person. I'm really excited about this upcoming season, so much so that I even gave in and joined over at Dharmawantsyou.com.

Yep, I'm officially a dork. :P

• 2 months later...
Apparently they're filming episode 10 at the moment, so the season is more than halfway done. In fact, I make it that they'll be shooting the S5 finale around the same time the first or second episode airs in January.

The latest casting news is that the Reiko Aylesworth, who played Michelle Dessler in [b]24[/b], will be a new recurring character in S5:

SPOILER: Lost S5
She plays Amy, a member of the DHARMA Initiative, possibly in lengthy 1970s 'flash-somethings' sequences which tie in with S5's mysterious new structure.

One of the most interesting things I heard:

We get a big flashback to the crash of the [i]Black Rock[/i] with period costumes and everything. Seems to be raising the scope of the show a fair bit

[quote name='Werthead' post='1594477' date='Nov 19 2008, 16.59']One of the most interesting things I heard:

We get a big flashback to the crash of the [i]Black Rock[/i] with period costumes and everything. Seems to be raising the scope of the show a fair bit
[/quote]

I am so excited for this season. Two months to go...

[quote name='Werthead' post='1492925' date='Aug 24 2008, 15.19']Cool stuff, but you can click the link in the spoiler. It's something that was designed to be seen prior to Season 5, but not essential to it ;)[/quote]

It was something for prior to the previous season? Really? Seems to fit with the way we left things at the end the last episode...you're confusing me more than I normally am confused!

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1595215' date='Nov 20 2008, 10.58']It was something for prior to the previous season? Really? Seems to fit with the way we left things at the end the last episode...you're confusing me more than I normally am confused![/quote]

Season 5 is the upcoming season.

[quote name='snowleo' post='1594694' date='Nov 19 2008, 18.45']snow "Still missing Charlie" leo[/quote]
/pats Snowleo on the back

I just hope they run season 5 like they did season 4 down in Ecuador -- only two weeks behind the States.

Otherwise, I'd break and read all the spoilers on this board...

Anyone else completely saturated of the mystical questions that are left? I used to be focussed on the numbers/polar bear/monster/... but now it doesn't matter any more. I'll still watch the show but I'm only interested in the conflict between the characters & specifically the Whitmore-Ben-Desmond Hume conflict.

The Numbers and the polar bear have been answered. I can understand why they're holding back on the Monster revelation for the final season though.

But yeah, I get the impression that what the audience considers to be huge mysteries are actually unintended side-effects of their method of storytelling.

Woopee, Wert's guide to Lost is back. For all us lost and lazy souls who can't be bothered to sift rumour from spoiler from truth.

and yes I'm also very excited about this season. Probably my 'most anticipated TV show' of the moment. (apart from a certain HBO pilot)

Archived